• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Boltjolt, As a GM, I'm guessing you would have taken Sam Darnold #1 over Baker Mayfield? It's what I would have done. Cleveland proved me wrong. Size doesn't matter. Arm does. I am 100% in on Kyler Murray and I think he can be equal QB to Mahomes or Mayfield.
    No, i wasn't big on Darnold. I'd have taken Mayfield over Dsrnold but Mayfield is a bit over 6', not the 5'"8-5'9" Murray is gonna measure at.

Size does matter for a NFL QB. He is small and 190 lbs. There have been many QB s with strong arms that weren't very good. Vick for one, cannon for an arm, not very accurate. And can name many . Brees, Rivers, not the best arms, very accurate so I don't agree.
    i don't think Murray will be that successful as a NFL QB.
    He hasn't declared yet either. Word is the A's want to throw more money at him
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-13-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• attila
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2014
      • Send PM

Exasperating game plan. All week everyone talked about strength of NE being passing to RBs and that was LAC's weakness. They just sat back and let TB complete easy passes unharrassed. Like the pats, should've taken a page out of Ravens playbook: max pressure especially up the middle and man to man. Their WRs don't exactly scare you and TB was showing warts this year. I expect KCs D will give NE some problems.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Canepa's Chargers report card:

Quarterbacks: C-
        Philip RiversKeenan AllenRunning backs: INC.Wide receivers: D+
        Little separation, especially early. Hunter Henry returned to class, hard to say for what. Mike Williams flat dropped the first long pass, then caught an 18-yarder, then had a nice third-down reception as part of a decent day. Allen double-moved himself wide open on the 43-yard TD. Tyrell Williams had a few moments. Virgil Green caught a TD pass. Antonio Gates probably caught his last one.

Offensive line: F-Defensive line: FMelvin Ingram was at least visible. Blown off the ball by a line without a potential Hall of Famer near it.

Linebackers: FSecondary: FJulian Edelman. Adrian Phillips got hurt (arm) on first drive and returned. Casey Hayward interfered in the end zone. Desmond King beaten badly for third TD and had a huge holding penalty.

Special teams: D
        When D finally got a stop, King, aces all year, fumbled away a punt that put ice on the ice. Nick Rose, brought in to kick touchbacks, hooked his first inside the 20. Finally got one when ball hit goal line.

Coaching: F-

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
          Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
          • Jun 2013
          • Palm Springs
          • I know nothing
          • Send PM

Aaron Schatz:
          A final thought about the Patriots-Chargers game. There are really two mindsets in the NFL when it comes to coaching and game plan. The first mindset is "we're going to find and attack your weakness." That's the Belichick mindset. The second mindset is "we do the thing we do, and we dare you to beat it." This is how the Peyton Manning offense worked. And this seems to be the mindset of the Pete Carroll family of coaches. When the Legion of Boom was in its heyday, the Seahawks ran their Cover-3 system and they knew they had great players and they dared you to beat it. Well, I think Gus Bradley came out today with that mindset. This is what the Chargers do: they play Cover-3, they don't blitz, and they dare you to beat that defensive scheme. And the problem is that Brady eats the Cover-3 for breakfast. And thus, he did. And the best way to stop him over the last two seasons has been the blitz. And the Chargers never even tried.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I guess Gus didn't watch game tapes of defenses harassing Brady that way or playing man.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No, i wasn't big on Darnold. I'd have taken Mayfield over Darnold but Mayfield is a bit over 6', not the 5'"8-5'9" Murray is gonna measure at.

Size does matter for a NFL QB. He is small and 190 lbs. There have been many QB s with strong arms that weren't very good. Vick for one, cannon for an arm, not very accurate. And can name many . Brees, Rivers, not the best arms, very accurate so I don't agree.
              i don't think Murray will be that successful as a NFL QB.
              He hasn't declared yet either. Word is the A's want to throw more money at him
              Fair enough.

Murray is the only QB I covet in the first round. I see the next Russell Wilson.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                Aaron Schatz:
                A final thought about the Patriots-Chargers game. There are really two mindsets in the NFL when it comes to coaching and game plan. The first mindset is "we're going to find and attack your weakness." That's the Belichick mindset. The second mindset is "we do the thing we do, and we dare you to beat it." This is how the Peyton Manning offense worked. And this seems to be the mindset of the Pete Carroll family of coaches. When the Legion of Boom was in its heyday, the Seahawks ran their Cover-3 system and they knew they had great players and they dared you to beat it. Well, I think Gus Bradley came out today with that mindset. This is what the Chargers do: they play Cover-3, they don't blitz, and they dare you to beat that defensive scheme. And the problem is that Brady eats the Cover-3 for breakfast. And thus, he did. And the best way to stop him over the last two seasons has been the blitz. And the Chargers never even tried.
                I am dumbfounded that we came out with this game plan. We dared them to beat us and they utterly destroyed us. Brady was 34 of 44 passing. We did not sack him once. We had 2 QB hits on him the entire game. What is worse, when it was obvious that the game plan wasn't working, I did not see much in the way of adjustments.

I am also dumbfounded at our offensive game plan. It seems Whiz follows the same philosophy as Bradley and maybe that comes from Lynn. We'll make the other team stop us. Teams changed how they attacked us later in the year and dramatically cranked up the pressure up the middle on us and we had no answer. And they did stop us. What is worse is we kept trying to run the same things over and over again and River got battered in the process.

Truly baffled by the coaching staff.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Fair enough.

Murray is the only QB I covet in the first round. I see the next Russell Wilson.
                  Ok, he would be a much smaller version lol.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I am dumbfounded that we came out with this game plan. We dared them to beat us and they utterly destroyed us. Brady was 34 of 44 passing. We did not sack him once. We had 2 QB hits on him the entire game. What is worse, when it was obvious that the game plan wasn't working, I did not see much in the way of adjustments.

I am also dumbfounded at our offensive game plan. It seems Whiz follows the same philosophy as Bradley and maybe that comes from Lynn. We'll make the other team stop us. Teams changed how they attacked us later in the year and dramatically cranked up the pressure up the middle on us and we had no answer. And they did stop us. What is worse is we kept trying to run the same things over and over again and River got battered in the process.

Truly baffled by the coaching staff.
                    We finally started playing some man in the second half...after they scored 35 points.

Comment

• chris9341
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                      Very telling that we say the same thing after each playoff loss, yet nothing changes. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2018. Same type of exit each year.

I can appreciate Telesco trying to fix the trenches but outside of Pouncey, NONE of his OL moves have worked out. He deserves some criticism for that.

Bosa.was.a great pick but disappears in big games, but was hurt this year so I'll give him a pass. But he has yet to show himself as a game changer, not even as a Justin Houston type of player. At least not in big games. Something to keep in mind when his contact is up and he wants to be the highest played defensive player in the league.

People get so sensitive about Rivers but can we please be realistic for a second? He's 38 and playing for an organization that historically does NOT value the trenches. Out of his 14 years in the league, how many good OLs has he had in his career? This is just inexcusable. His immobility simply exponentially magnifies the OL shortcomings. I'm not necessarily blaming him for it but you can't deny that it turns a suboptimal situation into a worse one.

I think we are "stuck" with him for 2019 but I would love to explore options for 2020, be it via trade or the draft.

Do we have money to spend on the trenches in free agency?
                      I agree as far as Feeney and Lamp go but when they were drafted everyone was expecting big things from them. Sometimes picks just don't work out how you would like. But I would say he has had more success then failure when drafting players.

Comment

• Chargerville
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                        Aaron Schatz:
                        Yep!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                          X