• Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We see eye to I here.

Lamp is going into the season healthy and ready to compete, earn, and excel as a starter in 2019.

Feeney definitely has balance issues, at times, and I see his very inconsistent impact punch placement as the primary cause of him being top heavy/late with his feet. He is good on the move, in space, working combo blocks, and when has his balanced anchor in PP.

We need to acquire talent at the OT position. The draft is deep with starting-caliber prospects. Donovan Smith is really the only FA, at OT, that interests me and he will probably be out of our contract range. Tevi could be a quality OT/OG and depth if nothing else.

Draft picks are incredibly valuable. Sacrificing even 1 should never be done without thought. I'm all for strategically spending draft capital to acquire elite talent or starting caliber talent without drastically depleting quality depth.
    I think Feeney's hand placement/punch stuff takes care of itself if he fixes the balance/leverage problems. It always starts with the feet. That is true not just of the OL, but every position. All of a football players power comes from a good, solid base to core to upper body path. I agree his punch needs work, but the footwork and balance thing has to come first, or the punch is meaningless.

TB still has a couple of weeks and enough players they can cut to clear the cap space. I don't see him getting anywhere near FA. We can't afford him anyway, not if we want to resign any of our own FA (and draft picks).
    http://www.thepowderblues.com/forum/...102#post701102

I understand where you are coming from about draft capital. JUst at the stage, where we are at, trying to take a good team over the top, I am not sure we can afford to just hoard draft picks. First, we are going to cut a bunch of good players come draft cut downs. It's going to happen because we just can't afford to keep them. If it is a matter of having a little less competition at RB or secondary with a late-round pick, to trade up a bit to improve a quality pick, then I think we should do it for the right guys. Like Blue keeps pointing out, we are looking for productive players NOW.

The chargers really do get "extra" player capital from college and street FA.

The most accurate, up to date NFL Depth Charts and Rosters on the net for reality football, fantasy owners and fans.

The Ourlads depth chart shows a lot of SF and CF in the list of names. Those are street FA and college FA, and even the top of the chart (left side) is full of CF (college Free agents).
    Last edited by Steve; 03-01-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

gonna guesstimate that the seven positions the Chargers draft for are as follows:

DT * replaces Liuget (Jeffery Simmons)
      NT * replaces Mebane (Trysten Hill)
      SAM * replaces Emanuel (Te'Von Coney)
      CB * replaces Verrett
      IOL * replaces Cole Toner (Erik McCoy)
      WR * replaces Tyrell (Jalen Hurd)
      QB * replaces Geno (Jarrett Stidham)

think we retain Pullard, Perryman and Gates.

will also add that I would be drafting TE instead of CB if 'twas up 2 me.
      Last edited by beachcomber; 03-07-2019, 03:09 AM.
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

gonna mess around and see what order I would put them in ??

1) DT Jeffery Simmons
        2) OC Erik McCoy
        3) NT Trysten Hill
        4) QB Jarrett Stidham
        5) LB Te'Von Coney
        6) WR Jalen Hurd
        7) TE Keenen Brown

another guy I'm really high on is RB Bryce Love,
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
          gonna mess around and see what order I would put them in ??

1) DT Jeffery Simmons
          2) OC Erik McCoy
          3) NT Trysten Hill
          4) QB Jarrett Stidham
          5) LB Te'Von Coney
          6) WR Jalen Hurd
          7) TE Keenen Brown

another guy I'm really high on is RB Bryce Love,
          I like Montgomery from ISU.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I like Montgomery from ISU.
            Alexander Mattison BSU
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• UglyTruth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2018
              • Send PM

For as good as he's been, isn't it amazing that during Telesco's tenure as GM, he has failed to draft even one productive O linemen? Despite having the best QB in franchise history...
              Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
              - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
              - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
              - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
              - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
              - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
              - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                For as good as he's been, isn't it amazing that during Telesco's tenure as GM, he has failed to draft even one productive O linemen? Despite having the best QB in franchise history...
                yeah but not for lack of trying. Fluker, Watt, Tuerk, Lamp, and Feeney were all picked in the 1st 3 rounds. I'm not sure oline coaching doesn't have something to do with it. A guy can't be that wrong can he?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

yeah but not for lack of trying. Fluker, Watt, Tuerk, Lamp, and Feeney were all picked in the 1st 3 rounds. I'm not sure oline coaching doesn't have something to do with it. A guy can't be that wrong can he?
                  Feeney and Lamp were widely considered clean prospects. This is why I am calling for patience.

The other ones ? TT really knows how to pick 'em.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Feeney and Lamp were widely considered clean prospects. This is why I am calling for patience.
                    think Feeney was good value in the third, and suspect that he simply needs to be moved back to RG to become a decent starter, if not more than that.

Lamp on the other hand was a risk, as not only did he drop from his projection as best OL in the draft and/or first round lock, to our second round slotting, but before his Alabama game/showcase, he was slotted 7th round/UDFA by most pundits.... he may still have a hill to climb in this league ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

think Feeney was good value in the third, and suspect that he simply needs to be moved back to RG to become a decent starter, if not more than that.

Lamp on the other hand was a risk, as not only did he drop from his projection as best OL in the draft and/or first round lock, to our second round slotting, but before his Alabama game/showcase, he was slotted 7th round/UDFA by most pundits.... he may still have a hill to climb in this league ??
                      Never saw Lamp as below a 2nd and here and there as a first. Mayock still called him the best OL in the draft. Still may be when he gets a chance to play.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-07-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I had not heard before that he was originally slotted a 7th rounder/UDFA. Really? Is it possible that 1 game can move a guy from 7th round/udfa prospect to best Oline man? If so, the pundits are lunatics/.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Most pundits are writers or fans with no more expertise at scouting than anyone here.
                          There are a few former scouts, front office guys, etc but not a ton. They are now TV/media personalities with ratings, limited time, etc but have inside connections. Lots of smoke and mirrors.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X