• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Tevi was a lot better this year than he was as a rookie. Yes we do need an upgrade at RT but that's what depth is. A spot starter who can fill in and he would do well for that. Scott is another young player who is developing. Again we can only keep so many OL. Probably 7-8 and picking more later round guys when we already are developing those types isn't helping.
    Getting Lamp back is like a second round pick. He finally gets to show what he can do. So there's one guy who can also potentially play RT. The versatility is there anyways.
    Draft another OT and I think that helps a lot. Only if they cut someone like Schofield do we go OG but they do need an answer for when Pounceys contract is up after next season. Don't know what they have in mind for that with who is on the roster now.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Queesenbury?

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Tevi was a lot better this year than he was as a rookie. Yes we do need an upgrade at RT but that's what depth is. A spot starter who can fill in and he would do well for that. Scott is another young player who is developing. Again we can only keep so many OL. Probably 7-8 and picking more later round guys when we already are developing those types isn't helping.
        Getting Lamp back is like a second round pick. He finally gets to show what he can do. So there's one guy who can also potentially play RT. The versatility is there anyways.
        Draft another OT and I think that helps a lot. Only if they cut someone like Schofield do we go OG but they do need an answer for when Pounceys contract is up after next season. Don't know what they have in mind for that with who is on the roster now.
        Tevi played well enough he deserves to be allowed to compete for a job. He did not play so well that I wouldn't bring an OL to push him OR if we bring in a better option at OG, let Schofield push him at RT. I also think, depending on who it is, Scott wasn't amazing, but he was solid enough that he should get a good long look in mini-camp/TC.

As far as the post where we draft 2 OT, that isn't going to happen, at least in the sense that the OT are going to be used to push Okung. Okung is going to start at LT unless he gets cut in the next 2 weeks. He gets paid too much and is still a pretty solid player to get sent to the bench. I would love to find an elite player to replace him, but elite LT types are hard to find and getting harder to find all the time. Guys like Tevi and Scott can always move inside if we can multiple OT, but they aren't going to give anyone we can be in a position to draft a chance to overtake Okung unless they can prove themselves at another position first.

OG was the real weakness and there is NO reason we can't at least get better by letting the competition play out, if not rebuild outright. Bring in some new bodies, find the best pair of players at each spot, and see who wins the job. But with Lamp coming back, the depth we have at some spots, I think adding 1 or 2 more, players is far more likely than a gut job.

The one downside of doing all the OL shuffling is that come week 1 the OL is not going to be rock solid, no matter how good the individual pieces. The communications between players can take weeks to develop.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

we drafted Lamp and Feeney.... see no reason we can't draft two OTs.... 'specially if the one or both of 'em can move inside to guard on occasion/if need be,

Steve.... in an earlier post you suggested the possibility of an Oline shuffle.... did you have specifics re: that mention ??
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

So how did drafting Lamp and Feeney work out?

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              So how did drafting Lamp and Feeney work out?
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Exactly. That is why I want an impact guy on D like James was last year. And happy to trade up to do it.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Exactly. That is why I want an impact guy on D like James was last year. And happy to trade up to do it.
                  Guys like James are the exception not the rule. Moving up is a great way to set your team back.

Better to do what we did when we got James and let the board come to us.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Agree, yeah. Just wanting another high impact exception like James. Really really needed.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I'm not ready to give up on Lamp. He missed his rookie year, then missed the whole offseason and then was really not physically ready to play last year, on top of playing a position that mental reps are just not that much help. He apparently has his legs back into explosive shape, so he can move people, so now is ready for the offensive install in OTA's. He can take 1st and 2nd team reps and learn the combos on the field. Now he has a chance to earn a starting job from the ground up.

Again with Feeney, everyone likes to point to the things he does poorly, but the fact is he was coming off an all-rookie selection at this time last year. It is not uncommon for players to be set back some their 2nd year, and I think that is part of it. I wouldn't just hand him a starting job, he still needs to get challenged, but he does a lot of stuff well. he just needs to play with better balance and footwork. The whole interior OL needs to do better adjusting to stunts and games inside.

As far as how they shuffle the OL, it just depends on what bodies we can sign. The Chargers prefer to find middle/lower tier FA to sign, then let the draft come to them. It is slow to add players like that, but at least it recognizes that this is not like ordering pizza. You can't just go out and get what you want when you want it.

The OL needs to become quicker and more athletic. I am not sure there is necessarily a specific plan. As much as people bitch about our OT, it was the interior OL play that really hurt last year. We tried to run a quick passing O, and allowed quick pressure up the middle. Some of it is the receivers, but the OL has to do their part too.

Adding 2 OT is fine, but Okung is the starting LT no matter who we add. There is no FA OT who are as good as he is. While I really haven't even started doing a good look at OT yet, there isn't anyone I think can beat him out among the rookies, although Dillard might be close enough to challenge. If we do add 2 OT, I would expect for one of our OT to slide inside to push. Schofield is a lock to make the roster because he can play anywhere except C. Same with Pouncey and Okung. Everything else is up for grabs. Just find the best combinations of players and let them compete.

Tevi has the ability as a run blocker to move into play OG, plus he has the quickness and quick set to be effective inside. Lamp can challenge at OG. Feeney can only play OG. Schofield can challenge inside and outside. So, TT just needs to go and get the best prospect, and not necessarily worry about position, or even if they are ready to play immediately. Just get the guy who will be the best prospect and let them compete.

I think people are forgetting about trading up is that you can still trade up and not give up picks. Lately, NFL teams have been doing a lot more pick swapping to improve value, without sacrificing picks. We need about 10-12 new players per year, on average, so losing even a single pick can be a real problem. We do have a better track record in the draft, do a much better than average job of getting UDFA and have a deeper roster, so that does give us some more flexibility.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I'm not ready to give up on Lamp. He missed his rookie year, then missed the whole offseason and then was really not physically ready to play last year, on top of playing a position that mental reps are just not that much help. He apparently has his legs back into explosive shape, so he can move people, so now is ready for the offensive install in OTA's. He can take 1st and 2nd team reps and learn the combos on the field. Now he has a chance to earn a starting job from the ground up.

Again with Feeney, everyone likes to point to the things he does poorly, but the fact is he was coming off an all-rookie selection at this time last year. It is not uncommon for players to be set back some their 2nd year, and I think that is part of it. I wouldn't just hand him a starting job, he still needs to get challenged, but he does a lot of stuff well. he just needs to play with better balance and footwork. The whole interior OL needs to do better adjusting to stunts and games inside.

As far as how they shuffle the OL, it just depends on what bodies we can sign. The Chargers prefer to find middle/lower tier FA to sign, then let the draft come to them. It is slow to add players like that, but at least it recognizes that this is not like ordering pizza. You can't just go out and get what you want when you want it.

The OL needs to become quicker and more athletic. I am not sure there is necessarily a specific plan. As much as people bitch about our OT, it was the interior OL play that really hurt last year. We tried to run a quick passing O, and allowed quick pressure up the middle. Some of it is the receivers, but the OL has to do their part too.

Adding 2 OT is fine, but Okung is the starting LT no matter who we add. There is no FA OT who are as good as he is. While I really haven't even started doing a good look at OT yet, there isn't anyone I think can beat him out among the rookies, although Dillard might be close enough to challenge. If we do add 2 OT, I would expect for one of our OT to slide inside to push. Schofield is a lock to make the roster because he can play anywhere except C. Same with Pouncey and Okung. Everything else is up for grabs. Just find the best combinations of players and let them compete.

Tevi has the ability as a run blocker to move into play OG, plus he has the quickness and quick set to be effective inside. Lamp can challenge at OG. Feeney can only play OG. Schofield can challenge inside and outside. So, TT just needs to go and get the best prospect, and not necessarily worry about position, or even if they are ready to play immediately. Just get the guy who will be the best prospect and let them compete.

I think people are forgetting about trading up is that you can still trade up and not give up picks. Lately, NFL teams have been doing a lot more pick swapping to improve value, without sacrificing picks. We need about 10-12 new players per year, on average, so losing even a single pick can be a real problem. We do have a better track record in the draft, do a much better than average job of getting UDFA and have a deeper roster, so that does give us some more flexibility.

We see eye to I here.

Lamp is going into the season healthy and ready to compete, earn, and excel as a starter in 2019.

Feeney definitely has balance issues, at times, and I see his very inconsistent impact punch placement as the primary cause of him being top heavy/late with his feet. He is good on the move, in space, working combo blocks, and when has his balanced anchor in PP.

We need to acquire talent at the OT position. The draft is deep with starting caliber prospects. Donovan Smith is really the only FA, at OT, that interests me and he will probably be out of our contract range. Tevi could be a quality OT/OG and depth if nothing else.

Draft picks are incredibly valuable. Sacrificing even 1 should never be done without thought. I'm all for strategically spending draft capital to acquire elite talent or starting caliber talent without drastically depleting quality depth.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

What sucks is we have good enough vets at multiple positions we are bringing back - who cannot finish a season healthy. If we want to compete in the post season (or even get there), relying on these really good guys is a bad strategy and I hope TT/Lynn do not pass up an opportunity to acquire a top James type talent because we look so good on paper. Understanding the value of every pick, if two gets me another James, that is good value for the team. If we get someone we value that highly drop into our lap, swell. But jeepers this draft has me worried.

Comment

Working...
                          X