• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    I liked the last two drafts, a lot. But the OL was easily the weakest squad coming back from last season. And after first round of FA, still the weakest. And after the draft, still the weakest. We have a lot of potential, plus two aging vets. Maybe the coaches think if we keep throwing young bodies out there, a couple will stick? Cuz right now that's what exactly what we're hoping for. And I really really hope our season doesn't derail because of it. I know, 12-4, but if anything worries me it's OL.
    I'd like to upgrade our O-line, but remember...DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS...

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Yep, that's why I love the last couple drafts. We are certainly stacked on D.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

We were stacked on D last year - 'till the injuries hit. By the time we played NE, we had lost 2 starting level CBs, #1 3T, #1 MLB, #1&2 WLB. The CB issue put poor Addae's lack of starting level FS skills in the spotlight.
        It looks like we have more youth, talent & depth going forward.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

I don't make excuses. We beat the Ravens missing all those same players. We just didn't play well and were out coached. That's the most honest thing to say.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            I don't make excuses. We beat the Ravens missing all those same players. We just didn't play well and were out coached. That's the most honest thing to say.
            It probably helped that we had played the Ravens before and that they didn't change their offense at all.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Well hopefully this isn't true, but apparently this was the year to draft OL. At least compared to next year. We at least got Pipkins:

5. I asked Senior Bowl chief Jim Nagy for his first impression on the 2020 class after his team's initial study, and he came back with this: "It's going to be thin on the offensive line." That would help explain the OL land rush in this year's draft--12 of the first 48 picks were offensive linemen. The logic, of course, is simple. If you know next year's going to be wasteland, you better get your guys this year, and teams did that aggressively. Half of the aforementioned dozen were the subject of trade-ups. On the flip side, it seems plenty of other teams passed on a mediocre crop of receivers this year, waiting for an expected WR banner year in 2020 (Alabama's Jerry Jeudy, Clemson's Tee Higgins, Colorado's Laviska Shenault). And that showed up in another Senior Bowl metric--Nagy said eight receivers who played in his game this year went undrafted, which was by far the highest number of any position.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It probably helped that we had played the Ravens before and that they didn't change their offense at all.
                I'm not sure they could have done much differently, given their limitations at QB.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

will go out on the proverbial limb here and scry that Sam will have much the better season than Ryan, and that Mr. Tevi will experience quite the uptick in PFF score/rating come season's end.... (defense 2 offense transition comes all in good time.... no RT/OG will be served before his time

http://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-best-team-fits-for-pffs-highest-graded-remaining-free-agents?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_camp aign=cjaff&cjevent=42d22bf8747111e9806a01df0a24060 c

(does he end up beating out Scho for a starting guard spot ?)
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Our safety dime package was a good match for the Ravens, and was the best way to patch up a depleted LB corps...but let's face it, Lamar Jackson is no Tom Brady...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Our safety dime package was a good match for the Ravens, and was the best way to patch up a depleted LB corps...but let's face it, Lamar Jackson is no Tom Brady...
                      He isn't but in both games against the Ravens our run defense was good while missing all those players we are using as an excuse for losing to the Patriots.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

He isn't but in both games against the Ravens our run defense was good while missing all those players we are using as an excuse for losing to the Patriots.
                        Our run defense was good because we had zero respect for their passing game, for a reason.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

yeah we were effective against the ravens because jackson looks like one of those QBs that 1, cant pass for much, 2, cant read D's too well. iirc he's known to not be able to hit WRs outside the numbers so we scrunched the middle of the field. this would seem to help stop the running game better as well.
                          I wonder once we hit the pats if our smaller DBs were just too tired to play LBer to stop the run. add in belicheck and his coaching and it was total domination time.

Comment

Working...
                          X