• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

The Redskins won't let Williams go. For one thing, they let their depth guy at OT go in FA this year, so they don't have anyone to fall back on.

2nd, they feel Williams is the best OT in football, and at least when he is healthy, he probably is. They aren't going to let him go for as little as a 3rd, even if he has injury issues. Prima donna WR may be had for almost nothing, but elite OT are worth multiple 1st rounders.

3rd, he eats up all of our remaining cap space, including the space we need to sign our 1st 3 picks. We would also need to start cutting people to free up enough space to sign guys off the street when injuries happen. Right now, there is not a lot of fat to trim from our roster. The players that are making enough money to get us there quickly are players we want to have, and the ones that don't have lower salaries.

As far as a straight up trade, I am not sure it is worth it. Sure, Williams is the better player, by far, but the injury issues are a problem with him. Okung may miss a game or two, but Williams misses a lot, and is awful close to not missing a bunch more.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Really? Two aging vets, an average Joe, and two young guys who kinda sucked, kinda showed a little something but replacing them with average Joes (if we even could) would greatly improve it. Kudos to the line coach for getting us to 12-4.

I may not be a football coach, but I am a Chargers fan so I know crappy Oline play when I see it lol.
      My point is that i think the position coach is failing the talent rather than there being a lack of talent to work with. Okung and Pouncey are not so old as to be on their last legs yet. If you read my posts above you would know i think they have played crappy and been masked by quick releases and throwaways.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

My point is that i think the position coach is failing the talent rather than there being a lack of talent to work with. Okung and Pouncey are not so old as to be on their last legs yet. If you read my posts above you would know i think they have played crappy and been masked by quick releases and throwaways.
        I guess I don't see Tevi, Feeney or Scho as all that talented. And Pouncey started looking pretty old late last season. I'm worried but hopeful.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Really? Two aging vets, an average Joe, and two young guys who kinda sucked, kinda showed a little something but replacing them with average Joes (if we even could) would greatly improve it. Kudos to the line coach for getting us to 12-4.

I may not be a football coach, but I am a Chargers fan so I know crappy Oline play when I see it lol.
          I think it is a mistake to tar all players on any OL with the same brush or to define any individual by his worst play(s) or game(s). It was definitely a mixed bag. Never mind all the wins- which do demonstrate the ability to be adequate to our needs if not out desires in the 13 W's. When you watch every play, you can find mistakes in many. Predominantly by the 2 youngsters, and not every play by them. Apparently the coaching staff expect some growth in our young OL and the overall OL. I don't see any reason to expect that they cannot.

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

As far as a straight up trade, I am not sure it is worth it. Sure, Williams is the better player, by far, but the injury issues are a problem with him. Okung may miss a game or two, but Williams misses a lot, and is awful close to not missing a bunch more.
            Williams health is definitely a worry, but damn is he good when he's right.

Comment

• Tol
              From Accounting
              • Mar 2019
              • Carlsbad
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74
              Saw a photo on i.G. and the o line had Lamp playing in place of Feeney,and he was wearing a knee brace.
              Originally posted by Topcat
              Photo, please...
              The image below is in spoiler tags because it's a little big, but it shows (to me) Lamp at LG and Schofield at RG.

Below you can see Lamp with the brace on. Dude's got massive calves too.

Originally posted by Tol
              Another possible best-5 starting OL could be Okung-Lamp-Pouncey-Schofield-Pipkins. And the more I think about it, the more I like it. It all starts with who wins the RT position. Lamp? Tevi? Pipkins? If Pipkins is the answer at RT, then Lamp would likely take one of the OG spots. If he can play LG better than Feeney, then why not leave RG to Schofield?
              I mentioned I thought this could happen in the Roster thread. It makes sense if you want to put your two best guards out there, and believe Lamp and Schofield to be those two. Probably just trying things out, as there is a long way to go before determining starters. But an interesting glimpse none the less.

Originally posted by sonorajim
              Helps stabilize the joint, lessen the odds of injury. I've often thought all OL should wear them.
              Totally agree.
              Last edited by Bolt-O; 06-07-2019, 12:16 PM. Reason: sized down the pics and removed tags.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Nothing wrong with a brace in OTAs or training camp. All OL should probably use them to prevent non-game injuries.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Looks like Pouncey is tatted from head to toe lol

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I think it is a mistake to tar all players on any OL with the same brush or to define any individual by his worst play(s) or game(s). It was definitely a mixed bag. Never mind all the wins- which do demonstrate the ability to be adequate to our needs if not out desires in the 13 W's. When you watch every play, you can find mistakes in many. Predominantly by the 2 youngsters, and not every play by them. Apparently the coaching staff expect some growth in our young OL and the overall OL. I don't see any reason to expect that they cannot.
                    Just describing what I saw last season, you see it differently then fine.

Like I said, I'm hopeful, but also worried, IMO this Oline could go up or down real fast either direction.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Just describing what I saw last season, you see it differently then fine.

Like I said, I'm hopeful, but also worried, IMO this Oline could go up or down real fast either direction.
                      If healthy, last year was worst case for this OL. They aren't going to get dumber.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

If healthy, last year was worst case for this OL. They aren't going to get dumber.
                        From your keyboard to the football gods ears. Would love to see dominating performance after dominating performance game after game.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

From your keyboard to the football gods ears. Would love to see dominating performance after dominating performance game after game.
                          Maybe having another year in our system will help Pouncey along.

Comment

Working...
                          X