• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

One thing no one has been talking about is losing Decker.

I like Emmanuel better as an all around/complete player then Decker. But he doesn't add the speed/stretch element to their offense like Decker did. Thomas can stretch a D, but he is the featured guy, so do you want to minimize his impact by sending him deep all the time? Welker is a decent all around player, but he is best running the same types of routes as Emmanuel.

Decker is not a great all around WR, and I think the Jets are fooling themselves if they think he is a #1 guy. But he had a nice spot in the Denver offense and really fit in well with his teammates, complimenting them.

I don't think denver's offense is going to come to a halt overnight. But looking back at Buffalo, Det, Indy... the various successful 3 WR teams over the years. They are most successful with 2 (or more) guys who can get deep, and they don't have that anymore. They never stop when they lose the vertical element, but they suddenly aren't as feared as they were.

Add that to a D that doesn't really look any better, I don't think they are a better team.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

But Denver also has a solid rushing attack, and I believe Ball will be a force for them next season. I think Denver can easily plug in and replace Decker. A very over-rated WR IMO. Denver has a very good roster......at least for another year, and IF they can stay healthy. That is one thing they did, added injury risk. They also have a KILLER schedule.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think teams will neutralize Ball somewhat by just getting Manning to audible. Give Manning pass first presnap reads, he will throw the ball all game long, at the expense of the running game. He's a sucker for it.

Again, I don't disagree about Deckers skill level, just that what he added to the offense was the ability to stretch defenses, give everyone around him more room to operate, and in the process get a lot of single coverage vs S down the field.

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Is Ball ready to take over as the starter? He had major pass protection issues just like Mathews did. I'm surprised the Broncos are not making a bigger push to re-sign Moreno.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
            Is Ball ready to take over as the starter? He had major pass protection issues just like Mathews did. I'm surprised the Broncos are not making a bigger push to re-sign Moreno.
            His pass protection improved steadily the second half of the season. it is also easier to do when the QB gets rid of the ball in 2.2 seconds.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

He probably is ready, although you never really know until you are in it. But with Hillman, and the fact that there are a bunch of RB that are always available, I don't see that as a big weakness. Maybe not ideal, but it's not like they are going to become run oriented overnight. And with Manning, he is probably not going to hold the ball that long.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Denver isn't worried about their deep threats since Manning can't throw deep anymore...or at least it seems he's getting worse at it every season.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Hillman couldn't hold on to the ball last year (same issue he had at SDSU) and got put in the permanent doghouse.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

did they replace starting OG Beadle yet? They kept pulling guys out of the woodwork last year as OLs were lost- how long can that continue?
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

They already had Clark on their roster, and I can't remember where they got Rameriesz from, although I don't think they drafted him, and Dan Koppen comes back from injury (although he is pretty road worn).

I think the idea is that either Clark or Franklin will slide inside. If I was Franklin, I would be a little reluctant, since he is going into FA after this season. Clark has another year after, but he is less well suited to being an OG.

The real thing is how is Clady going to be. He has had a couple of serious leg injuries, and had some consistency issues even before that. Of course any pass blocker looks good with Manning, since he doesn't have to block that long.

Comment

Working...
                      X