Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    @annieheilbrunn: LT: "If you just look at the roster, I have to go with the #Chiefs" as far as being closer to the #Broncos in AFC West (vs. #Chargers).
    as if this was the FINAL roster? In fact, Telesco and McCoy are both on record saying it is a work in progress- and IMO will probably remain so right into the early part of season like Indy was last year.

#lessandlessrespect
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

@annieheilbrunn: CB Shareece Wright looking good in practice. But remember, #Chargers signed Derek Cox to 4-year, $20m. Not good Wright is outperforming him.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        as if this was the FINAL roster? In fact, Telesco and McCoy are both on record saying it is a work in progress- and IMO will probably remain so right into the early part of season like Indy was last year.

#lessandlessrespect
        Can't really argue with that. The chiefs do have some talent, but they still don't have a QB. They aren't going to win if they expect Smith to throw the ball 35 times a game like its being reported Reid wants.

They have some good individual players, but haven't played well as a team. That's what LT meant.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

@annieheilbrunn: CB Shareece Wright looking good in practice. But remember, #Chargers signed Derek Cox to 4-year, $20m. Not good Wright is outperforming him.
          I want to see Wright covering DX all day

That's the main difference from what I've seen.

Not to say Wright hasn't looked great though. Floyd just doesn't bring the same skill set DX has.

Both so far are going to be significant upgrades to last seasons tandem.

Nickel DBs though have been torched all TC so far.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I wanna see DX torching everybody.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Because it would suck to have more than one good cornerback

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                Because it would suck to have more than one good cornerback
                Or to have only one.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

As long as Cox and Wright can both perform at a reasonably high level, who is better doesn't matter. I think we would all prefer the vet be the top cover corner, but as along as one of them is up to it, it really doesn't matter.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    As long as Cox and Wright can both perform at a reasonably high level
                    Can they.

Right now it sounds like only one has so far
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

There is a new secondary coach, new players around, and they aren't playing live yet. We will start to get an idea after a preseason game. But it's practice, and they are both in new roles, with new coaches and players around them. They don't even have the whole defense put in, and they haven't decided what we will be emphasizing yet. Wright is probably way ahead now because he is so technically sound. But Cox has a ton of starting expeince (compared to Wright anyway), and that doesn't count for much right now. Once the D is more in place, and we have real game conditions, then that stuff takes over.

Every TC, the rookies and younger guys come out and flash and everyone gets excited for them The experienced guys get people worried because these young guys are showing so much more, but then the rookies and younger guys fade and the vet mojo kicks in. It happens every year, and every year it is a shock to people.

Anyone who says they can tell who is great and who is not, at this point has no idea what they are talking about. In a couple of weeks, after the practices have been going for a while, and the rookies have paced themselves and the vets get a chance to see the younger guys stuff, we will have a better idea. But everyone loves to make snap judgements right now, so that is what they do, no matter how baseless it is.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

It's hard to judge CB's when they can't finish a play. Don't think I've seen Cox dive or try to finish once. He pretty much always pulls up at the very end. He practices like a vet. Like I mentioned before, I've pretty much been watching the Cox/DX battle most of the time they are lined up and Cox is pretty much always glued to him. DX makes the catch, but Cox is always right there. If he could make a hit on some of those balls, they wouldn't all be completed.

What I'm looking for is the ability to shadow a WR and stay with him step for step when he cuts on his routes. Cox has been able to do all that while pressing up on the line of scrimmage. That's what has been encouraging.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

What I am worried about is the nickel DB. That has been a disaster.

Comment

Working...
                          X