• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

As OIP said, love the Richard Seymour measurables and comparisons.

Comment

• Lightnin'
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

...In Gus I trust.
      San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• alex8080
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        He is not going to be another Aaron Donald, who beats OG with his quickness. But Tillery has power and leverage, and once he gets better at his hand placement, he is going to be a monster. He has to land his blow closer to the middle of the chest, instead of clubbing guys in the shoulder.

He also needs a bit of work on staying low and firing out low. At 6'7" he has great natural leverage. In college, he can get away with giving some of it up, but he needs to stay lower and drive into the OG/C and power through them.

He is the kind of player who can be more physical, 2 gap style player who can drive the pocket back into the QB and flush them out to the DE. He needs to be better and more consistent with his run fits and hand use, especially against the run. But so many rookie DL have that same issue.
        hand placement, staying low, maybe La Roi could be a good fit. he excelled at that

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by marconi View Post
          I think Tillery has the physical skills but here are my concerns:

"Teams have red flagged Tillery's draft report with serious character concerns. Every source with a handful of teams who went through Notre Dame heard about significant character issues with Tillery. It was so renowned that even during TV broadcasts, there were mentions of Tillery being a bad teammate and that he was trying to change that. Team sources say not only are they concerned about Tillery in the locker room, they also are worried about him failing tests and getting suspensions in the NFL. Tillery is a known partier, so it hurt him to miss out on the Senior Bowl interviews to address those concerns and work on convincing teams that he has grown out of those past behaviors.

For the most part, evaluators like Tillery's on-the-field potential. Some are not fans of him, while others are high on his pro potential with a skill set that combines size, athleticism and quickness. However, even the sources that like Tillery on the field are not sure he will remain on their draft boards because of the off-the-field concerns. "

I think good character is a really import aspect that must be looked at. Remember how Ryan Leaf worked out.
          Character is important, no doubt about it. Tillery's anger issues date back to 2016 and before. Coach Kelly at Notre Dame had Tillery get anger management counseling and do community service. Apparently, he improved. With Leaf, there were recent red flags that were covered up, though known if the Bolts had bothered to pay attention to them.

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post
            This PFF article should be required reading here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...op-10-prospect
            Interesting comparison to Jones. That would be amazing if Tillery can become the same type of player Jones has.

Comment

• SYB
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Interesting that the linemen left were not graded as first round players:

Eric Williams
              Looking to add some juice to their interior pass rush, the Chargers grabbed Notre Dame defensive tackle Jerry Tillery at No. 28. With his length and ability to push the pocket, Tillery should help Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram get home more consistently on the pass rush and improve the Bolts' ability to stop the run. Chargers GM Tom Telesco said that Tillery was the last guy on the board his personnel department had a first-round grade on.
              It's funny, I saw that quote last night and then saw Steve Keim mention this morning about having the 1st pick today and there being several players they have 1st round grades on remaining. Maybe that's why the Cards keep shitting the bed.

Comment

• SYB
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
                Kicked? Get the fuck outta here with that garbage. Not a good move for Jerry by any stretch of the imagination, but that wasn't a kick, but rather a push or nudge. Also, fuck the SC Blowjans...

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by marconi View Post
                  I think Tillery has the physical skills but here are my concerns:

"Teams have red flagged Tillery's draft report with serious character concerns. Every source with a handful of teams who went through Notre Dame heard about significant character issues with Tillery. It was so renowned that even during TV broadcasts, there were mentions of Tillery being a bad teammate and that he was trying to change that. Team sources say not only are they concerned about Tillery in the locker room, they also are worried about him failing tests and getting suspensions in the NFL. Tillery is a known partier, so it hurt him to miss out on the Senior Bowl interviews to address those concerns and work on convincing teams that he has grown out of those past behaviors.

For the most part, evaluators like Tillery's on-the-field potential. Some are not fans of him, while others are high on his pro potential with a skill set that combines size, athleticism and quickness. However, even the sources that like Tillery on the field are not sure he will remain on their draft boards because of the off-the-field concerns. "

I think good character is a really import aspect that must be looked at. Remember how Ryan Leaf worked out.
                  What do those mean? Character concerns is a generic catch-all, and it could mean a lot of different stuff to different people. Certainly, he has 3 very specific accusations.

1). His suspension and being sent home before the Fiesta Bowl.
                  2). His stomping on those 2 USC guys back a couple of years ago (one helmet and one on the ankle/leg). I know he was dismissive of those, but those are kinda serious to me. Not a definite no, just serious enough that I would press him for answers if I was talking to him about it.
                  3). His love of things other than football. This is a pretty serious sin in some NFL circles. They want players who are totally committed to football, and things like foreign travel and getting your degree, that Tillery has done, certainly count against him in some NFL circles. I think those are positives myself.

The bad teammate thing can also be a very generic and not necessarily a horrible thing. I knew a TTU player back when I was a grad student who was not that popular among his teammates because he took school very seriously, but he was a good player and started for multiple seasons. He was not extremely talented but ended up having a moderately successful NFL/NFL Europe career.

The Chargers have obviously heard these rumors, so they looked into them. All the NFL teams did, I am sure. Some of the things teams will write him off, and some will find him OK. Certainly, he is not the kind of Tyreek Hill, or Kareem Hunt kind of risk factors. And the other thing you have to wonder about is how much is just other NFL teams trying to get a player to drop. They call it liars month for a reason, and I bet it is a lot more common to try now that teams have more time to prepare for the draft. It has got to be a lot easier to get teams to over think things.

Anyway, it's too late now. He IS a LA Charger. Now the emphasis has to be on how to make him work.

Comment

• SYB
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

What do those mean? Character concerns is a generic catch-all, and it could mean a lot of different stuff to different people. Certainly, he has 3 very specific accusations.

1). His suspension and being sent home before the Fiesta Bowl.
                    2). His stomping on those 2 USC guys back a couple of years ago (one helmet and one on the ankle/leg). I know he was dismissive of those, but those are kinda serious to me. Not a definite no, just serious enough that I would press him for answers if I was talking to him about it.
                    3). His love of things other than football. This is a pretty serious sin in some NFL circles. They want players who are totally committed to football, and things like foreign travel and getting your degree, that Tillery has done, certainly count against him in some NFL circles. I think those are positives myself.

The bad teammate thing can also be a very generic and not necessarily a horrible thing. I knew a TTU player back when I was a grad student who was not that popular among his teammates because he took school very seriously, but he was a good player and started for multiple seasons. He was not extremely talented but ended up having a moderately successful NFL/NFL Europe career.

The Chargers have obviously heard these rumors, so they looked into them. All the NFL teams did, I am sure. Some of the things teams will write him off, and some will find him OK. Certainly, he is not the kind of Tyreek Hill, or Kareem Hunt kind of risk factors. And the other thing you have to wonder about is how much is just other NFL teams trying to get a player to drop. They call it liars month for a reason, and I bet it is a lot more common to try now that teams have more time to prepare for the draft. It has got to be a lot easier to get teams to over think things.

Anyway, it's too late now. He IS a LA Charger. Now the emphasis has to be on how to make him work.
                    Seems like ex-teammate, Rochelle loves him some Tillery. :shrug:

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Surprised as I think 28 was too high for him. CBS draft tracker gives us an A for this pick.
                      He was generally considered an early 2nd round guy. Late 1rst - early 2nd.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Warming up to the pick as the shock of passing on the tackles is wearing off.
                        Pros:
                        1. They had other options at other positions - so i'm sure he was at the top of their board.
                        2. They could have waited or moved up a bit for Wren in the 2nd.
                        3. Mahomes & Brady do not like interior pressure: both like to move up in the pocket (& Tillery is tall).
                        4. With Bosa & Melvin, plenty of opportunities for interior pressure from Charger DTs facing wide Oline sets: it didn't consistently happen.
                        5. Tillery has a lot of upside & needs to put things together: classic Telesco pick

Cons:
                        1. I didn't like him.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

I like the Seymour comparisons. Listened to the Ringer NFL Show just now. Mays and Clark both loved the pick.

Hopefully he is able to become a more consistent and dedicated football player. He certainly has impressive measurables (size, strength, talent)

Anyone you are going to draft at 28 is going to have negatives. There's a reason they lasted that long.

Hopefully the pluses outweigh the minuses.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X