• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

FWIW....Suh has stomped several guys while in the NFL in his prime as the most dominant interior dlineman in the game. Are you telling me you wouldn't have wanted Suh in his prime on your team? If Tillery has learned to channel his anger, and works on a few things that Steve mentioned, he could very well end up being a phenomenal addition. i think Mebane will also be a positive influence. his physical skills are probably the best at his position in the draft.
    I
    As as far as his outside interests like stocks, travel, cooking etc, IMO anyone that views that as a negative is mistaken. He is an intelligent young man and I do not se that being a negative at all, provided he is focused on improving his craft as his top priority. Any coach that sees a student being a student as a negative is an idiot IMO. Preparing for life after football so you aren't broke and get swindled and star on a 30 for 30 is ok by me. Just my .02

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      from my perspective, and this is coming from a guy that was/is wary of Bosa.... is that he could well outperform his predraft perception.

PFF was the lone wolf in predicting Chris Jones' success in the NFL, having him rated as a top ten talent, and whereas most other draftniks had Jones as a day two guy.

and not overly familiar with, nor recall so much of Seymour's game other than he was an outlier in some sort of metrics comparison, and was a darn fine player, and....

was bearish on both Buckner and Tuitt during the draft, and both exceeded mine and many other's expectations.

and lest we not omit the fact that PFF's ranking him behind only Quinnen, puts him ahead of both Ed and Jeffery.

did team Tommy John have some Golden Dome insider info ??

is Tillery a potential "contract year" kind of player, re: why was it the Combine that he was in the best shape of his career ??

Tom mentioned his inside pass rush.... someone said we "stole" him.... was it a "home run," or did we just steal home ??

do like his forced fumbles and blocked kicks, and wonder as well if as a young man he might well find distraction in Tinsel Town ??

Josh Jacobs.... meet Jerry Tillery,
      I loved Chris Jones at Mississippi State. I wanted the Chargers to draft him in the 2nd. I thought he could be as dominant as Bosa (& I liked that pick).

Jerry Tillery, from what little I've seen, just is not as explosive off the snap as Chris Jones. He also probably isn't as strong. Tillery is probably more like DeForrest Buckner when rushing the passer - not a bad thing at all.

I trust Telesco's eye and simply have to watch more Tillery to come to some personal determination. The upside of Tillery is clear..

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Pros:
        1. They had other options at other positions - so i'm sure he was at the top of their board.
        2. They could have waited or moved up a bit for Wren in the 2nd.
        3. Mahomes & Brady do not like interior pressure: both like to move up in the pocket (& Tillery is tall).
        4. With Bosa & Melvin, plenty of opportunities for interior pressure from Charger DTs facing wide Oline sets: it didn't consistently happen.
        5. Tillery has a lot of upside & needs to put things together: classic Telesco pick

Cons:
        1. I didn't like him.

I was in the same boat. I could not tell you why but I never wanted to give Tillery a look, I just always dismissed him. I thought about that a lot last night and this morning and I believe it stems just from my general dislike of Notre Dame. Throw on top of that the fact that Teo blew up on us and after watching Nix flame out too, my preconception was born. So now I have watched some films, some post draft vids and I can now say that it looks like TT made a VERY good that could become GREAT pick.

So in TT I trust. Carpe Diem round 2 and 3. I am off for a nap after just 5 hours of shuteye........

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

As as far as his outside interests like stocks, travel, cooking etc, IMO anyone that views that as a negative is mistaken. He is an intelligent young man and I do not se that being a negative at all, provided he is focused on improving his craft as his top priority. Any coach that sees a student being a student as a negative is an idiot IMO. Preparing for life after football so you aren't broke and get swindled and star on a 30 for 30 is ok by me. Just my .02
          I'm wondering who in the league had these concerns, seems to me to be bull-headed. The team seems pretty eclectic, so he'll fit in, but I can see where "intellectuals" can grate against the grain. I think the same about entrepreneurial types might be a concern for some teams, but as long as they aren't doing illegal stuff, like Kiel, its all good. I recall some people complaining a little about Merriman's brand-building and business, but frankly we need more of those in our country.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Character concerns? How many of us bitch & moaned because the Chargers passed on talent for character? I'd prefer stomping rages to mild mannered gentlemen.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

Bad Knee, Bad Back and struggles to control weight
              whew.... !! thought you were talking 'bout Tillery, and....

maybe we can go Marcus McNeill on Jawaan Taylor ?? !!
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

judging by our pursuit of Suh the other offseason, am guessing that the incidents against 'SC where his emotions got the best of him, were something we could live with, and....

hadn't heard about his/any rep about being a partier.... judging by his interview w/Bucky Brooks, it doesn't seem to be his defining energetic.

and re: Chris Jones, and speaking for myself, I wasn't comparing Tillery's game to Jones', 'twas more the fact that PFF has singled out the both of them, and in contrast to most/many other pundits, by putting the top ten tag on them, and again when they were oft slotted as second rounders.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Speaking about Merriman..

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

speaking to what Merriman mentioned re: CBs.... am grateful that team Tommy John went lineman over DB/skill position, as think in the longrun you're better off going lineman "oft and early," and.... not sure how long it takes him, and.... think Tillery is gonna turn into a steady NFL lineman.... (do not bust).

how many more lineman are we gonna snare/nab.... ?? (me thinx 2)

Comment

• bartman83642
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I think he could turn out to be a good pick as long as he keeps his cool. Can't afford a lot of PF's against him. Seems to have both good size and speed so which is what we need.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                        • Send PM

Let's face it, some guys just need to be stomped on

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

All I keep seeing about Tillery is top 10 talent/injury concerns plus he cooks. Wacky. Thank you TT for snagging a top 10 talent at 28, now let the coaches do their jobs. James deja vu.
                          Last edited by blueman; 04-26-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X