• Send PM

Oh, it's been Broughten!

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Cincinnati's Cortez Broughton

Cincinnati's Cortez Broughton, a favorite of PFF's Andrew Russell, is a sneaky good pick to take before the frenzy for undrafted free agents starts. During his career at Cincinnati (2014-2018), Broughton racked up 94 quarterback pressures and 98 defensive stops by putting all of his power into a vicious first step. He can apply interior pressure on any down, and he can clear lanes in an instant. Against the run, Broughton was just as efficient. He never fell outside of the top 10 among qualified AAC interior defenders during his final three seasons, posting a run-defense grade over 80.0 each year.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
        Legit qeustion why did we value him over gerald willis???? Willis was a pretty good player. Is he injured or is there off the field issues idk about
        why do you value Willis more and assume he will be a better pro?

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Marino

Run Defense - Powerful in his lower half and his anchor is stout when his leverage is right. Has some instances of playing too tall at the point of attack. Want him to feel down blocks more effectively to avoid getting washed. First step quickness and play strength translates nicely to gap shooting.

Pass Rush - First step quickness is excellent. Illustrates a variety of pass rush moves and has found success both from the interior and off the edge. Timing and placement of rush moves can improve. Takes excellent rush angles. Converts speed to power well as a bull rusher.

Effort - Love his urgency off the snap to attack the neutral zone and establish first contact. Work up and down the line of scrimmage, illustrating good range as a run defender. Does a great job of controlling his speed and taking advantage of unblocked situations.

Hand Technique - Has some positive flashes with swipes and finding leverage points but too many reps are played close to the chest and he fails to gain extension. Needs to become more deliberate about deploying his hands and setting up counters to clear contact with more consistency.

Flexibility - Would not call him tight. Control himself well when changing directions and coming to balance. Able to plant and pivot smoothly. He isn't going to corner sharp edges with bendy hips but he can flatten and tilt angles.

Play Strength - When his pads are low, he can exchange power and anchor soundly. Does well converting speed to power and pushing the pocket. Can deliver powerful blows with this hands.

Play Speed - Love his get off and how quickly he releases into the neutral zone. Long strides quickly eat up turf. Has exploited offenses when unblocked, showcasing excellent control of his speed.

Lateral Movement - Likable mobility pursuing laterally down the line of scrimmage and to the sidelines. Needs more discipline to maintain in his fits on stretch runs and better feel for down blocks.

Versatility - Has tweener traits but I like him best on the interior on even fronts. Ask him to penetrate the line of scrimmage and rush the interior from the inside and playmaking upside is present.

BEST TRAIT - Burst

WORST TRAIT - Hands

RED FLAGS - None

A late bloomer, Broughton exploded to make 18.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 in his final season for the Bearcats. Where Broughton offers the most appeal at the next level is taking advantage of his first step quickness and functional strength to penetrate gaps on the interior. With that said, his hand combating skills can use some improvement and more gap discipline on stretch runs to not widen lanes will be important. A touch undersized, Broughton may not be a fit for every scheme but his developmental upside is notable for even fronts.

Round Grade - Mid Day Three
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Solak

Explosiveness - Regularly the first player off the ball by a wide margin. Gains significant ground with first and second step and regularly initiates contact with opposing offensive lineman, leading to initial displacement. Is a nightmare as an unblocked read/pursuit defender; regular turned conflict plays into TFLs. Has good lateral mobility and stride length to slant/crash on stunts without losing vertical explosiveness.

Hand Usage - The biggest gap currently on his evaluation, and the biggest hurdle for him to clear for NFL success. Flashes the ability to work hands on swipes and places hands nicely when bull-rushing, but regularly is too passive with his hands and leads into contact with his shoulder. Doesn't maximize his length on long-arm reps or use hands to keep chest plate clear when two-gapping. Improved hand technique will unlock his game.

Power/Leverage - Lower body power is tremendous and ability to generate initial backfield push will make him valuable for NFL teams. When his pads are down and he's under control, is night on impossible to keep from compromising pocket depth. Will pop upright at times and surrender his chest, especially on running plays when he's trying to work to the runner without first taking on contact. Can convert explosiveness into power for great bull-rush reps.

Rush Moves - Has a bevy of exciting flashes. Has hit push/pulls, hump moves, arm over, and long-arm with varying degrees of success. Understands how to get to a half man and work angles to move quarterback off of his spot. Knowledgable on slants as the crasher to generate displacement and then work back inside. Has tweener-like ability to win as an rusher from 5t and wider alignments. Addition of a more consistent push/pull and a swim will increase the rushes he finishes from interior alignment.

Flexibility - Decently flexible for a big fella. Understands how to get his toes pointed to the peak of the pocket and fights pressure with pressure on the outside rush track to keep his angle tight to the quarterback. Ankle flexibility is better than hip flexibility in this regard -- struggles to drop his hips and his weight without losing his ability to create power. More than enough bend to flatten half-man relationships from the inside to attack the quarterback's set point.

Lateral Influence - Play discipline and technique creates some issues. Tends to give up his back too easily, though slanting nature of defense has some blame to shoulder here. Struggles to work back across face when he's getting downblocked and will sit on blocks when he feels like he can't get involved in the play. Not a strong hustle player unless he's unblocked and in pursuit of boundary plays.

Block Recognition/Deconstruction - A mixed bag against double teams, though given his play weight (285 pounds), pleasantly surprised to see him drop anchor every so often. Culprit of his worst reps is an upright approach out of his stance -- guilty at times of firing off the ball without bring his feet with him, which makes him easily displacable. If/when he's truly reading as a two-gapper, can nicely drop anchor and use his hands to control his opponent; flexibility comes in handy when fighting pressure with pressure to maintain gap integrity.

Tackling - Some concerns with his ability to finish sacks -- comes into contact often too upright and looks to latch and drag and instead of deliver contact with low pads and drive with his legs. Lack of agility can present an issue when working against slippery quarterbacks and running backs, but length comes in handy here.

Versatility - A bit of a tweener who won't be a fit for every team. Length and explosiveness profile lend themselves to one-gapping teams and odd fronts, though Broughton's best fit will be with squads that love to slant, twist, and run other games that allow him to line up all along the line and attack from different angles. High-ceiling prospect because of the many ways he wins.

BEST TRAIT - Explosiveness

WORST TRAIT - Hand Usage

RED FLAGS - None

PLAYER COMPARISON - Sheldon Rankins

Cortez Broughton looks like he's just one or two years away from some truly dominant tape, and I'm buying into the upside. With a wicked first step and the ability to bowl over interior offensive linemen with his power and explosiveness, Broughton offers rapid interior penetration at a tremendous rate. The NFL values that from their interior defensive linemen above all else.

Broughton is a bit undersized and can be exposed in the running game, though the scheme at Cincinnati did him no favors in this regard. Technique-wise in general, Broughton needs some polish: by activating his hands more as a pass-rusher and run-defender, he'll make his own life easier by keeping his chest clean and having more control over his opponents. It's important to make sure Broughton has the "want-to," as he takes some plays off on film, but his ceiling is tantalizingly high.

ROUND GRADE - Late 3rd
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

As with all drafts, I hope that 2 players become starters. If 3-4 players stick around for a few years then Tommy T has scored
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• charger1993
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

why do you value Willis more and assume he will be a better pro?
                For me i saw gerald be a consistent player at miami. I mentioned i never really watched this guy play. So i was asking the people who have seen him play why he was taken over willis. Was curious in the kid.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

I think it was CBS Sports, but I was looking at player grades for the 7th. Only 2 A's were handed out in the 7th and the Chargers scored one with Cortez The Killer. So roll on to the (Southern) Pacific, I'm glad you didn't become a Southern Man and don't forget that Rock and Roll is here to stay.........

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Cortez is our best day 3 pick considering where he was taken. He has starter potential. And he has that upfield push that I love. Time to start playing on the Offense's side of the LOS.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

PFF LA Chargers‏ @PFF_Chargers
                      #Chargers selected Cincinnati DT Cortez Broughton with the No. 242 overall pick in the 2019 #NFL Draft. Broughton had 37 defensive stops last season, tied for first in the Group of Five.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        As with all drafts, I hope that 2 players become starters. If 3-4 players stick around for a few years then Tommy T has scored
                        I think you will get your wish. And nice to see a grown up reaction to the draft. Hope all is well, friend.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                          I think it was CBS Sports, but I was looking at player grades for the 7th. Only 2 A's were handed out in the 7th and the Chargers scored one with Cortez The Killer. So roll on to the (Southern) Pacific, I'm glad you didn't become a Southern Man and don't forget that Rock and Roll is here to stay.........
                          Don't let it bring you down.
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X