Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Again, in our D, Shazier is an ILB, not an OLB. Do you think he can put his hand in the dirt and take on blocks vs an OT?

There is a chance he can turn into a undersized DE type like Greg Lloyd was for the Steelers, only Lloyd was a college DE, despite his size. Shazier is a ILB for OSU, plus he is pretty damn good at it, so one wonders why you would project him to change positions like that. If we had lost Butler, Shazier would be an excellent fit for that role. But he is a big, big project to be a 34 OLB, even though his speed off the edge would be nice.
    Would he be any more of a project at OLB than Barr at this point in their careers?
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

First, the pros always look at the player's college production and he excelled. Then his speed. At 4.38 he may be the fastest OLB in football. Then his quick first step - OT's will be getting those 5 yard penalties for setting up too deep. He's got the hands to fight the blocks or he can dip low and get the corner under the block. And the athleticism to set up the outside rush and go inside. I don't think there is a ORT in football that can stop him from getting the corner. Or he can drop into coverage and cover the rb or te, or even the crossing patterns across the middle. Speed kills in football so I want a piece of it. I don't expect him to ever put his hand in the dirt and go head to head with an OL. And I think you protect him on running plays and let him run to the ball. Those positives in his scouting report are better than anybody's in this draft IMO, even Clowney's because Shazier wants to play.

Highly productive, disruptive playmaker vs. the run and pass. Shoots gaps and plays behind the line of scrimmage (compiled 39.5 TFL the last two seasons). Agile to slip blocks. Quick, strong hands to shed. Knifes gaps and flows very well laterally. Striking tackler -- uncoils on contact. Excellent speed and range -- opens up his stride in space and really covers ground. Bends naturally. Changes direction and accelerates with ease. Explosive first step as a pass rusher -- shows the ability to dip, bend and run the arc low to the ground. Ample athleticism and flexibility to mark backs and tight ends. Led all players at the combine with a 42-inch vertical jump and blazed a sub-4.4 40 time at his pro day. Four-down utility. Arrow is pointing up.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        Shazier is the best athlete in the draft, and as a LB, is faster than all safeties in this year's draft; he is excellent in pass coverage, yet almost led college football in 2013 with 23 tackles for loss...that's amazing, given that he was asked to drop back in coverage against tight ends and physical receivers many more times than Trent Murphy from Stanford, who tied Shazier at 23 TFL; Aaron Donald was the only player to eclipse both Murphy and Shazier with a crazy 28.5 TFL.

Shazier is lightning quick, but can be categorized as a "tweener," due to his weight. That hasn't seemed to bother Luke Kuechly or Lavonte David, to name a few. Shazier is a player who will rarely have to come off the field, and be can used in pass defense as easily as he can be asked to blitz, clearly showing himself to be the best blitzing linebacker in college football last year. There have been criticisms of "over-pursuit," but if you watch the tape, nobody gets quicker to the ball than Shazier, blending natural athleticism with ridiculous awareness.
        Two guys playing in a 4-3 and not playing OLB in a 3-4.

I do like Shazier and he is fast though his 4.38 was hand timed at his proday. Still very fast for a LB even if he times a 4.45-4.5 at the combine. He has SS athleticism but at LB he will be playing in a 4-3. Id love to have a player like that but he doesnt fit as a OLB for us and in college, productive or not, you dont draft guys that arent a good fit for your scheme. Sure against Denver he would be on the field all day but not every week. If Butler gets hurt or even Te'o he would be nice to have but do you use a first for that? Te'o is going to be a hec of a player for us, he just isnt real fast.

But hey, who knows. Im surely no expert. I dont think they have met with him which means nothing really, and if they think he can add 15-20lbs minimum and keep it on, than great.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-02-2014, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

There's lots of power guys in football, and they generally just cancel each other out. But when you look at the playmakers, it's generally the speed that sets them apart.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I dont doubt Shaziers ability at all. We need a pass rush and i want them to get that pick right as imo Ingram is still a question mark....who i wasnt high on before that draft.. Just dont think Shazier is right at OLB. AZ picked an undersized OLB 4-5 years ago (OBrien Schofield) who was 230lbs at the time and he didnt work out for them. He is 242 now in 5 years. I loved Schofield as a player but he was just undersized and is now back in a 4-3 with Seattle. Though admittedly he isnt the player Shazier is.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-03-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

IMO Shazier is a bad fit for a 3-4 D at OLB
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• pigskin
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Southern Oregon
                • Send PM

I don't think he fits a 3-4 either, but isn't that what all the scouts said about Corey Liuget before we drafted him?

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                  IMO Shazier is a bad fit for a 3-4 D at OLB
                  Agreed. Great player, just does not fit our system. Square peg, round hole.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by pigskin View Post
                    I don't think he fits a 3-4 either, but isn't that what all the scouts said about Corey Liuget before we drafted him?
                    I don't recall that being said. I recall him being described as very versatile. That he could excel as a DT. In a 4-3 and and end in a3-4. Perhaps it was said, I just don't recall it.

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                      I don't recall that being said. I recall him being described as very versatile. That he could excel as a DT. In a 4-3 and and end in a3-4. Perhaps it was said, I just don't recall it.
                      That's how I remember it ......
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• pigskin
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Southern Oregon
                        • Send PM

Walter football:
                        Corey Liuget Scouting Report
                        By Greg Cox

Strengths:
                        Quick off snap
                        Strong against the run
                        Able to bull rush with power
                        Athletic and laterally mobile
                        Very versatile
                        Good initial punch

Weaknesses:
                        Does not possess closing speed
                        Needs to develop pass rushing moves
                        Still working on stamina and conditioning
                        Not much experience

Summary: Corey Liuget ended his collegiate career a year early and went out on a high note with an impressive showing in the Texas Bowl. He was used in multiple spots on the Illinois line which is a valuable asset heading into the 2011 NFL Draft. His best fit appears to be a penetrating tackle in a 4-3 front.

Maybe this is what I am remembering??

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Perhaps, and I agree that is probably still his best fit. But nowhere did it say that he was not suited to 3/4 end. In fact it says he is very versatile and played all along the line. IMO adding another similar player to keep him and Reyes fresh would pay BIG dividends to our entire D.

Originally posted by pigskin View Post
                          Walter football:
                          Corey Liuget Scouting Report
                          By Greg Cox

Strengths:
                          Quick off snap
                          Strong against the run
                          Able to bull rush with power
                          Athletic and laterally mobile
                          Very versatile
                          Good initial punch

Weaknesses:
                          Does not possess closing speed
                          Needs to develop pass rushing moves
                          Still working on stamina and conditioning
                          Not much experience

Summary: Corey Liuget ended his collegiate career a year early and went out on a high note with an impressive showing in the Texas Bowl. He was used in multiple spots on the Illinois line which is a valuable asset heading into the 2011 NFL Draft. His best fit appears to be a penetrating tackle in a 4-3 front.

Maybe this is what I am remembering??

Comment

Working...
                          X