Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    It just doesn't seem they value the position highly enough to use a top pick. Can't say I blame them given the amount of time we play nickel. If that's the case, we should go after a DE then. I don't really care to be honest, I just want us to keep adding talent to the interior line to improve our rotations. They will all play.
    Not just a DE but someone who has experience across the D line, who can go from a 1 to 5 tech depending on the situation and the alignment .....
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      It just doesn't seem they value the position highly enough to use a top pick. Can't say I blame them given the amount of time we play nickel. If that's the case, we should go after a DE then. I don't really care to be honest, I just want us to keep adding talent to the interior line to improve our rotations. They will all play.
      Liars Month logo:
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        Not just a DE but someone who has experience across the D line, who can go from a 1 to 5 tech depending on the situation and the alignment .....
        I completely agree with this approach.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Gehlkan asked TT about the possibility of a FA NT being on the hook for after the draft, just in case. TT responded that they have no interest right now, all their attention is going into the draft. Then quipped that Lissemore might not appreciate it. Then in a bit with Darren Smith, that everything Gehlkan has heard from the Chargers, official and off the record, they don't seem to have any interest in other NT types.

Given what TT has said lately about being ready for everything and preparing for every contingency, I am not sure I buy it, but I do agree, that they may not be looking for the classic 34 NT types.
          And TommyTs word is to be trusted?

What did he say before last draft?
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

he said there was nothing wrong with Rivers.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
              I agree we get a mid to late round NT. Actually, I think it's critical we get one.
              I'm just not seeing it as a higher priority than getting a blue chip CB & pass rusher + promising WR prospect. Probably even less important than grabbing a quality interior OL to groom for next year in case we are without 1 or both of Clary & Hardwick. Last year we had 4 NT candidates into TC, then they dumped the 4th guy with no chance of getting playing time (can't remember his name) and went with Cam, Geathers and Lissemore. They obviously want a longer look at Geathers or they wouldn't have kept him while Cam got his shot to nail down the starting job. Only way I see them taking a NT is if they truly stick to BPA and we're late on Day 3 and it so happens a NT is there at our pick and is BPA that round. TT mentioned they can always add a vet NT after the draft if they feel the need.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post

I think what he said was probably true. At this point, I really don't think they are looking at a FA NT. There is plenty of time to reevaluate that after the draft if they need to, so there is no reason he should lie. And none of that means he won't draft a NT either. It's hard to lie in a non-commital response like that.

But the Chargers know that NT is a part time player, and that we already have 2 guys on the roster who can play that spot. Just because fans and people outside the building don't like Lissemore and Geathers doesn't mean the chargers don't. There area ton of fans and draft types who are still hung up on the idea that you have to have a "starting" NT, but can live with a no name rookie at nickle CB, yet, which player is going to have the bigger impact, more plays and have the potential to make/prevent more big plays?

As far as I can remember, TT seems to be much more into not saying anything then he is about deceiving people. And since he doesn't really say anything in these press conferences, he hasn't positioned himself so that he has committed to saying/doing anything.
                Last edited by Steve; 05-03-2014, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  I'm just not seeing it as a higher priority than getting a blue chip CB & pass rusher + promising WR prospect. Probably even less important than grabbing a quality interior OL to groom for next year in case we are without 1 or both of Clary & Hardwick. Last year we had 4 NT candidates into TC, then they dumped the 4th guy with no chance of getting playing time (can't remember his name) and went with Cam, Geathers and Lissemore. They obviously want a longer look at Geathers or they wouldn't have kept him while Cam got his shot to nail down the starting job. Only way I see them taking a NT is if they truly stick to BPA and we're late on Day 3 and it so happens a NT is there at our pick and is BPA that round. TT mentioned they can always add a vet NT after the draft if they feel the need.
                  The other guys was Jeradiau (or something like that). He was a former DT from South Carolina, and a classic NT build at 6'1" and 330-340lbs. But he had a tendency to get too high in college, and is a real problem as a NT. I kind of remember him just getting snaps at DE, although I can't quite recall.

I do think people are underestimating Geathers. He looks the part. Comes from an NFL family. And they guy got a ton better with us. There are a lot of big sloppy guys who playing inside, and being as big as they are, don't ever need to learn technique. Then they get to the NFL, and everyone is big, and can handle big guys, they suddenly need to play better. Geathers really hasn't proven anything yet, except that he was really pretty sloppy in college, and that he got a lot better when getting better coaching in the NFL. But that is not a little thing. If he can continue to get better, he could actually get to play some. And as I pointed out on a series of posts to Yuba, a lot of NFL teams starting NT are former NFL UDFA types, so it is certainly not without precedent for a 34 team to not put much emphasis on a part time guy (starting NT).

The last thing to remember, how many NFL teams have multiple NT on their active roster in any given week? Many NFL teams only carry 1 NT on the active roster, although many of those teams have another guy as a backup on the inactive list. But in either case, it is no unheard of for teams to use a DE type guy at NT.

What keeps getting lost at many people is that if we do like Lissemore at NT, then we don't have a backup DE besides Lawrence Guy. We kinda did last year in that Lissemore played there, as did Thomas, but with Lissemore taking over at NT, and Thomas leaving, then we can use another DL to play there. And there is nothing from stopping us from drafting a guy who could play inside. But it is 100% fact, that they will probably be drafting someone who can be a DT in the rush line, since if the guy lines up at DE or NT in the 34, he is still going to play many of his snaps at 43 DT. So, those are the guys I would look at.

Comment

• SFW
                    PB Official Game Thread Starter
                    • Jul 2013
                    • NY
                    • USMC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    I have been preaching this for a while now. They need another quality 300-310lb DL player like Will Sutton, Stephon Tuitt or Anthony Johnson.
                    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I agree we need more quality guys on the DL. I'd like to see DL as a team strength rather than a team weakness.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I don't disagree, but the real production in terms of pass rushing and making plays comes from our OLB, who are really just 43 DE. They have to get more productive or the rest of it is just window dressing.

Comment

Working...
                        X