• Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Is Baptiste a good fit?

espn on his cover skills...

Baptiste..."Has some stiffness but is a tall, long cornerback with better balance and agility than expected. Is physical in coverage. Relies heavily on ability to press and re-route. Very effective in that regard but can get in trouble if he whiffs initially. Has just decent change-of-direction skills and below average recovery speed for position. Not nearly as effective when electing to shadow and trail (rather than press). PSU WR Allen Robinson's 43-yard catch in 3rd quarter is good example".

Isn't that BAD news? Don't we run a zone defense?

OTOH...

"Big, durable athlete at CB position. No significant injuries to this point. Played in all 27 games (18 starts) his final two seasons at Nebraska.

capacity and FBIs. But is a good student and an ascending talent. Tremendous potential in a league starving for bigger corners. Continued to improve as a senior in 2013. Had a standout week at Senior Bowl, and then turned in impressive all-around performance at Combine. Son of Pierre and Yanick Jean-Baptiste. Earned bachelor's degree from Nebraska in May of 2013 (majored in criminology and criminal justice)".

Sounds like a development guy. If we're willing to be extra patient it might pay off HUGE!

View the profile of Baltimore Ravens Cornerback Stanley Jean-Baptiste on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.
    Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
      If Fuller, Gilbert and Dennard are off the board, then I probably would wait on a corner. I am not as convinced as some of the mockers and others on this board that the Chargers themselves think they have a huge corner problem. They want to add to the position for sure, but I don't think they are going to reach on anyone. I think they believe the pass rush is more important to good pass defense but I don't think they will reach there either. I think they truly believe that if they can get everyone healthy that both rush and backfield will be greatly improved. That is not to say they won't add to both positions but they may not think it is as dire straights there as many do and will be reluctant to reach. I think they are in pure BAA mode and it really can be anyone at this point but something tells me they are going to end up going OL or trading back.
      After reading about Wright's feet issues I don't see us passing on Roby. Is it something I'm totally comfortable with? NO

I'm also hoping your draft strategy is TT's strategy. Meaning, TT must see other options in the draft at corner - if he passes on that in the first round - that are very promising AND he must be okay with what we currently have at the position - in spite of Wright being very iffy for 2014. I so WANT those things to be true.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Yeah, if Wright has bad feet, TT has to have a plan to upgrade the CB position.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

EVERY DRAFT PICK IS A DEVELOPEMENTAL GUY!
          So lets get that out of the way off the bat. Some are more NFL ready than others...
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            EVERY DRAFT PICK IS A DEVELOPEMENTAL GUY!
            So lets get that out of the way off the bat. Some are more NFL ready than others...
            Yes. Just as you are a developmental speller!

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Just read it on the UT that he injured his heel vs. the Giants and tore his plantar fascia a few weeks later?

Jeez, who else was playing with injuries?
              Wow, i dont see how you can play on that. This regime is very secretive. Was he even on the injury list last season? I dont recall.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                Is Baptiste a good fit?

espn on his cover skills...

Baptiste..."Has some stiffness but is a tall, long cornerback with better balance and agility than expected. Is physical in coverage. Relies heavily on ability to press and re-route. Very effective in that regard but can get in trouble if he whiffs initially. Has just decent change-of-direction skills and below average recovery speed for position. Not nearly as effective when electing to shadow and trail (rather than press). PSU WR Allen Robinson's 43-yard catch in 3rd quarter is good example".

Isn't that BAD news? Don't we run a zone defense?

OTOH...

"Big, durable athlete at CB position. No significant injuries to this point. Played in all 27 games (18 starts) his final two seasons at Nebraska.

capacity and FBIs. But is a good student and an ascending talent. Tremendous potential in a league starving for bigger corners. Continued to improve as a senior in 2013. Had a standout week at Senior Bowl, and then turned in impressive all-around performance at Combine. Son of Pierre and Yanick Jean-Baptiste. Earned bachelor's degree from Nebraska in May of 2013 (majored in criminology and criminal justice)".

Sounds like a development guy. If we're willing to be extra patient it might pay off HUGE!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...-jean-baptiste
                We might play more press with him but yeah, im not real high on him and he isnt that fast to go along with that no real good recovery speed. The only real draw i see is he is tall. Verrett is a much better player and has good makeup speed and better ball skills.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Wow, i dont see how you can play on that. This regime is very secretive. Was he even on the injury list last season? I dont recall.
                  They only listed him with a foot/heel injury.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

After reading about Wright's feet issues I don't see us passing on Roby. Is it something I'm totally comfortable with? NO

I'm also hoping your draft strategy is TT's strategy. Meaning, TT must see other options in the draft at corner - if he passes on that in the first round - that are very promising AND he must be okay with what we currently have at the position - in spite of Wright being very iffy for 2014. I so WANT those things to be true.
                    You don't draft for need like that if they don't feel good about the player. He has too many red flags IMO for TT I suspect based on what he says in interviews. We'll see soon. We have so many needs I really don't care what position we take.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Man, you have to wonder what we'll be like with all of our guys healthy.

I am still dealing with my plantar fasciitis after three years and I can tell you with confidence we had BETTER get a quality corner or two in this draft. This ailment can last or be re-aggravated very easily...especially when running! I would never run with what I currently have. Corner has become the HIGHEST
                      NEED position with that news right now. Like emergency in my mind. Hate to reach for anyone BUT...

If Roby falls to us we have to pick him.
                      Get a bone scan to see if there is a hidden stress fracture around the heel. Happened to me when my PF would not go away. Been wearing a boot since Feb, but it should come off in a month or so. PF is already much improved.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I'd take Fuller at 42 - just for good mojo.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I don't like Roby at 25. No way.

SJB has some good measurables, but he's a projection player. I just don't like what I've read about his lack of physicality and poor tackling. At 6'3" he ought to be doing a little more.

Comment

Working...
                          X