• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Don't sleep on ArrionSprings either. This guy made an impression in training camp last year too. He may be a younger, cheaper Jaylen Watkins.

Every year the Chiefs seem to find at least one hidden gem in undrafted free agency. A player who manages to surprise and make the 53-man roster. This year the Chiefs will have several options. Guys who can make the team and make an impact right away. We'll highlight a few of those options down below. Be sure to vote in the poll at the top of the page (it'll appear as a link on mobile). You can also vote for multiple players.

CB Arrion Springs

Arrion Springs has been a standout performer throughout training camp and the preseason. The Chiefs secondary coaches have also been cross-training him at the safety position. The amazing thing is that the extra workload hasn't slowed him down at all.

What Springs needs is a signature performance to solidify the faith of the coaching staff and the front office. He has a chance to make that happen when the Chiefs face the Packers at Arrowhead stadium.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Good size, excellent speed, productive, an extra year of training, Springs could make the final 53 as a special teamer/ cb/s type. Arrion Springs
      Cornerback
      SCHOOL: OREGON | CONFERENCE: PAC 12
      HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 5-10.5 / 200 | 40: 4.38 | DRAFT YR:2018 Rankings

GRADE
      PROJECTED ROUND
      FA
      Bio:
      Three-year starter who led Oregon in pass breakups in each of those seasons. Named Honorable Mention All-Pac-12 and made 42 tackles (four for loss) with one interception, one sack and a conference-high 18 pass breakups as a senior. Recorded 39 tackles (3.5 for loss), one forced fumble and 12 pass breakups in 2016. Led the conference with 12 PBUs and posted 53 tackles, one interception, one sack and two forced fumbles as a sophomore.
      Pos:
      Short but explosive cornerback who plays aggressive football. Battles opponents, gives effort against the run and willingly throws his pads into the pile. Quick flipping his hips in transition, tracks the pass in the air and has a burst to the ball out of his plant. Effectively reads and diagnoses the action, remains disciplined with assignments and shows a nice move to the play. Constantly makes positive plays on the ball.
      Neg:
      Struggles to make plays with his back to the ball. Overmatched by taller receivers.
      Analysis:
      Despite being a three-year starter with solid production, Springs was ignored by scouts entering the season. He possesses the speed, ball skills and wherewithal to line up in dime packages and play special teams. Unlikely to be selected at any point during the draft's seven rounds, Springs could end up as a free-agent steal.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Today, I will go over an Oregon CB who could be on Jon Robinson's radar later in the draft similar to how LeShaun Sims popped up a few years ago.

Arrion Springs
        CB, Oregon
        5'11, 205 lb.
        Games Watched: Oregon State, Arizona, Washington, Stanford, Washington State

40 games started, 42 PBU, 2 INT, 3 FF, 8.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 137 tackles

Pros
        -Insanely productive, especially with the pass break ups.
        -Fights to break the pass up at all points of the attempt. Sometimes knocks the ball out when the receiver is basically down which forces the "catch rule" to call it incomplete.
        -Very good tracking the ball in the air, though you really wish he would get more interceptions.
        -Has lined up inside and outside, even lining up at safety sparingly.
        -Decent blitzer.

Cons
        -Not a great tackler, prefers to deter people by being in the right spot. If a RB comes at him with bad intentions then he is in trouble.
        -Hips are slow to turn.
        -Sometimes has to play catch up with receivers because he is focused on the QB in the backfield.
        -Speed could be a real concern.

What is he?
        -I have big concerns about his speed and how he plays vs physical receivers. Having said that, if he is in good position when the ball is in the air I expect the pass to be tipped and incomplete. Not a great matchup against any receiver, but against less physical, finesse WRs. CB3 on a good team.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

From the pictures above, #27, Jaylen Watkins, also playing with a knee brace. Not good for a bottom of the roster guy.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Camp fluff or legit analysis?........

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              Camp fluff or legit analysis?........

If Pipkins works out, that makes the draft. And Williams tells the truth. If Pipkins was getting visibly abused, he wouldn't post that.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

By: Gavino Borquez | 52 minutes ago

Expectations weren't that high for rookie offensive tackle Trey Pipkins going into Year 1. After being announced as the third-round selection in this year's draft, general manager Tom Telesco said that Pipkins is a project, but there's plenty of upside.
                  Through the first few practices, Pipkins has certainly been showing that upside early on. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said that the former Sioux Falls product has been stout in one-on-one pass rush drills.

"He's a rookie, so you don't know that yet. But certainly as we progress, get him in games and see him go against other guys and other teams, I think we're going to be really happy with what we've got"

Coming out of college, Pipkins showed the athletic movement skills and length to shut down edge rushers. The only knock on him was that there was plenty of room for him to get stronger.
                  It's only practices, but it's promising to hear the player that had many scratching their heads when the pick was announced, is adapting to the professional level after only facing strictly small-school talent, coming from a Division 2 school.

Should Pipkins earn a starting job at some point this season remains to be seen, but it wouldn't come as a surprise.

There's a big question mark hovering over the offensive tackle position at the moment. With Russell Okung's medical status, there's a chance that his absence can roll into the regular season, leaving Sam Tevi and Trent Scott as the probable starters.

Thus far, Scott has struggled with the first-team and it's uncertain if Tevi will be able to bounce back from his poor sophomore season. This leaves them in a position where if one struggles then they need to consider Pipkins with the 1's.

It might be rushing their development with Pipkins, but he'd be their only other option to boast a formidable line.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

GusD mic'ed up at practice...funny.....you see why guys can relate to him easily......

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The whole strength thing meaning he isn't ready to play may not be that accurate, lol.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

All OTs struggle vs out 1st team edge rushers, the question is how much. In any event, it's educational. We are practicing against really good D. Best wishes to all concerned.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          The whole strength thing meaning he isn't ready to play may not be that accurate, lol.
                          The strength assessment was made several months ago. It doesn't take long to improve strength quite a bit in a young athlete with professional training.

Comment

Working...
                          X