As Chargers GM What 1 Move Would You Make?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Why would Dez not be on the field in our .05/.10? He was a 1st Team All-Pro as our .05. It would stand to reason he'd be on the field in those packages.
    I like AP but his primary role should be ST where he made the All-Pro/PB teams.
    Our LB crew have more than enough speed and athletic ability to cover TEs/RBs while being bigger/stronger physically.
    Health is always a concern. The depth/talent is improved, with the new additions, which should help ST units.
    Our DIME D w/AP was generally pretty damn effective all around.

Now teams will not be able to scheme to take advantage of what weaknesses are there.

We have the comprehensive defensive pieces we need.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He is on the field in the nickel and dime, but if you are playing LB, by definition, you are not in the nickel or dime package. The LB are the players that get replaced by the DB. It is one or the other, you can't have both on the field at the same time.

You are kidding yourself that our LB are going to cover as well as a DB. You are so wrong it is not even funny. Proof is that for the last 30 years, NFL teams play their nickel and dime defenses for 50% or more of the season. Over the last decade that number is more like 75% of the time. The better the team, generally the higher the percentage. LB are the part time players on NFL defenses and the nickel and dime DB are the real "starters", at least in terms of playing time and impact. This is no new trend, or some flight of fancy, it is the way things have been. The only teams that don't play mostly nickel and dime are teams that are so thin in the secondary that their nickel and dime packages are a joke (Jets last 2 seasons).

Our LB crew might have some speed, but they can't hold up against WR, pass catching TE and the Kareem Hunt, Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamarra or Laveon Bell type of RB. It's not the speed as much as change of direction.

We need one LB who can help in coverage, and that will be Parryman and Davis. The rest of the LB are role players, run down guys. And in that sense they are fine. BUt let's not try and romanticise what LB are. They are not every down players. And who really cares about every down players. Offenses play 3 WR most of the time. But our dime D matches up against base personnel for most NFL teams pretty good. King and Phillips are constantly slipping and avoiding blocks by TE and FB. Most TE and FB are terrible blockers. Look at the crew for NE, that they brought in to replace Gronk are only average blockers for NFL TE, which is to say terrible. That is offset only by their lack of ability as receivers. Watson is the only one who is any good, and he is like a 1000 years old.

Everyone is over reacting to last years NE games, but the fact is that adding new LB is just about depth. The backups were bad, but the guys we added are not going to be that great. The best addition is Egbule, partly because he can actually play all 3 spots, and partly because he is an OLB and can be used as a LEO in addition to OTTO. We needed better backups and we added some. We still have too many injury prone guys, but time will tell on that.
      .05 personnel = 4 DL, 2 LB, 3 CB, 2 S (OTTO is replaced)
      In this package vs the quefs Sept 2018 with Denzel and Kyzir playing majority of snaps completely eliminated both Kelce and Hunt. I expect Kyzir and Davis will be on the field in our .05 often. If everyone is healthy to start TC, Kyzir wins the starting WILL.
      Several of our LBers are converted safeties. They have solid cover skills and the size to match up TEs, dominate the run game, agility to blanket RBs, and give a variety of coverage/blitz options. Best players on the field.
      It was Hill who killed us with Addae at FS.

Box score for the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Los Angeles Chargers NFL game from September 9, 2018 on ESPN. Includes all passing, rushing and receiving stats.

I completely agree about the over reaction to the patsies game. Gutted LB core, DT ineffectiveness, poor play at FS, and a worn down Oline were the major issues for us.

With AL, coaching staff, S&C program, player development, talent addition, and decent health (knock on wood) all in the 3rd year it should yield huge results.

I like our chances this year!

KOOL-AID IS BEING SERVED HERE

Last edited by like54ninjas; 05-25-2019, 10:57 PM.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

In a literal sense you are correct.

I know my Supertramp songs.

I was trying to say it would be "Crime of the Century."
        Seems some are just bored right now lol. I get it, nothing really to speak of going on with the Chargers right now. OTAs are snoozers.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Seems some are just bored right now lol. I get it, nothing really to speak of going on with the Chargers right now. OTAs are snoozers.
          I am looking forward to real football discussions with you, Boltjolt.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Who knew there was such good Supertramp knowledge on this site.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Who knew there was such good Supertramp knowledge on this site.
              Rudy...Notre Dame...what can I say ?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I am looking forward to real football discussions with you, Boltjolt.
                Hey, i also happen to have that Super Tramp album :toyou:

I also have the original album cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's last album w/ Ronnie Van Zant with the fire around them before the plane crash. They changed it after that. Not to change the subject :biggrin:
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-25-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Hey, i also happen to have that Super Tramp album :toyou:

I also have the original album cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's last album w/ Ronnie Van Zant with the fire around them before the plane crash. They changed it after that. Not to change the subject :biggrin:
                  Street Survivors.
                  Yes. Yes.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Street Survivors.
                    Yes. Yes.
                    Yes and arguably their best.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Yes and arguably their best.
                      Ronnie was a great songwriter.
                      Those first five songs in a row on SS were just epic.

"One More Time" is a personal fav.
                      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 05-25-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't see the sudden influx of talent at LB changing taking 2 pro bowl caliber players off the field. Phillips has developed into a good S, and he made a lot of plays down the stretch and vs Baltimore. King is a legitimate pro bowl CB. You want them off the field in favor of LB? So that the LB can chase WR and TE who will outrun them?
                        this, and....

Everyone is over reacting to last years NE games, but the fact is that adding new LB is just about depth. The guys we added are not going to be that great. The best addition is Egbule, partly because he can actually play all 3 spots, and partly because he is an OLB and can be used as a LEO in addition to OTTO. We needed better backups and we added some. We still have too many injury prone guys, but time will tell on that.
                        this.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I like the addition of Davis, I think he's going to be a good mentor not only for the linebackers on this team but the entire defense but lets face it he's not going to be playing every down and Perryman well lets just pray that he stays healthy. The two players I wonder about but I believe they can be really good are kyzir White and Uchenna Nwosu.
                          wish I could see my way to that sentiment, as do agree that Davis will be a valuable asset/mentor for the some of 'em, and that he might not play as much as some might think, and.... will not be surprised if by season's end that our 4-2-5 has a whole lotta Davis and Jatavis manning the LB responsibilities, as not convinced that Uchenna isn't some sort of Jeremiah Attaochu redux/revisit, and am also wary of Kyzir's brother's injury history.... let's hope that's not the case, and.... Thomas Davis was a good add, and Jatavis is farther along the curve than the other two aforementioned LBs.
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X