Poll: What is the Bolts biggest area of need?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    The OL. It's built to run-block... and that's just fine... but they all need to improve their pass-blocking. Specifically, the interior guys need to do a better job of recognizing where the blitzes are coming from and looking for stunts/spin moves. I like the fact that the Chargers have put Lamp in at LG. I hope that Feeney will get a shot at RG (his college position). Pouncey plays in pain and often gets days off from practice... that can't be good for chemistry/communication. Both Tevi and Okung are good run-blockers... but neither are athletic enough to control outside speed... especially Tevi.
    I dont think moving him to RG will make him better. He has played two NFL seasons at LG, which is nearly 3 college seasons and if you count preseason, it is 3 college seasons.
    Linemen should be able to move around so I don't buy that a couple of ya think he will be better at RG. He should be comfortable at either, certainly by now.
    Being in his third year I just hope he makes an improvement.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont think moving him to RG will make him better. He has played two NFL seasons at LG, which is nearly 3 college seasons and if you count preseason, it is 3 college seasons.
      Linemen should be able to move around so I don't buy that a couple of ya think he will be better at RG. He should be comfortable at either, certainly by now.
      Being in his third year I just hope he makes an improvement.
      Here is a quote from Geoff Schwartz...

The majority of people believe switching positions is easy because they've never done it before. Moving from side to side is easy for some, but most often, it takes a while to adjust. In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is "like wiping your ass with the other hand."

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I'd always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I'd switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.
      Retired NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz answers your questions, including which losing teams from 2018 have the best shot at the playoffs in 2019.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Here is a quote from Geoff Schwartz...

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/...19-predictions
        That's him. Means nothing for Feeney.

​​​ All I know is our coaches like OL who can play different possitions. If he can't , then he won't be here.

I was never a OL but I'd think it would be tougher for OTs than OGs.

And I'll add this, ....Sitton actually made the Pro bowl more times as a LG (3) than a RG(1) having about the same time at each so I'd say dispite his claims, he made due pretty well.
        ​​​
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-09-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If Lamp is playing with the ones in place of Feeney, then good.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's him. Means nothing for Feeney.

​​​ All I know is our coaches like OL who can play different possitions. If he can't , then he won't be here.

I was never a OL but I'd think it would be tougher for OTs than OGs.

And I'll add this, ....Sitton actually made the Pro bowl more times as a LG (3) than a RG(1) having about the same time at each so I'd say dispite his claims, he made due pretty well.
            ​​​
            Yeah... I'm gonna have to go with the pros on this one... if they say it's difficult... it's difficult.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Yeah... I'm gonna have to go with the pros on this one... if they say it's difficult... it's difficult.
              Lol, He is one guy. Sam Baker was another. There are way more that made an easy transition, but ok. You have one example and I gave one more.....and your example was a 3X probowler at the spot he said was hard for him.
              Id give more examples but your mind is made up.... And we don't even know if it is a problem for Feeney, you are assuming.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-09-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

It is hard for some, not hard for others.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

The transition from side to side varies with each guy. Some guys can make the move successfully, others can't. I think it depends on overall athleticism and how much practice/game time the player has spent doing it. Some players spend a lot of time at lower levels and practice time at higher levels, keeping familiar with it. Others, the team tries and specialize early.

In the end, a player who specializes is probably going to be more proficient, than a player who spreads practice and technique work out among several OL positions. The players are trying to perform at the highest level, so spreading their effort is only going to detract from that. However, unless teams can activate more OL than they are currently allowed, means that with only 8 OL active on any given Sunday, some players have to be flexible enough to play multiple positions. If they can't, the backups are just not going to be activated on Sundays.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

I picked Guard play.

This mostly falls on Feeney. (and I actually thought he played better end of his rookie year.)

But he's not been great at LG. I do have hope that he can improve though, but the thing that worried me, is they brought Pouncey in, and he was surrounded by the two best linemen on the line, and he got worse.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The transition from side to side varies with each guy. Some guys can make the move successfully, others can't. I think it depends on overall athleticism and how much practice/game time the player has spent doing it. Some players spend a lot of time at lower levels and practice time at higher levels, keeping familiar with it. Others, the team tries and specialize early.

In the end, a player who specializes is probably going to be more proficient, than a player who spreads practice and technique work out among several OL positions. The players are trying to perform at the highest level, so spreading their effort is only going to detract from that. However, unless teams can activate more OL than they are currently allowed, means that with only 8 OL active on any given Sunday, some players have to be flexible enough to play multiple positions. If they can't, the backups are just not going to be activated on Sundays.
                      Chris Watt played LG all during his years at Notre Dame. After getting drafted by the Bolts, they switched him to center. Oops, how'd that work out?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Chris Watt played LG all during his years at Notre Dame. After getting drafted by the Bolts, they switched him to center. Oops, how'd that work out?
                        His biggest problem was he was always hurt. Can't improve from the trainers room.

Comment

• alex8080
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

feeney was first team All-America twice, 2 yr team captain and played in big 10. he will start in 2019 and be fine

Comment

Working...
                          X