• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I'd be absolutely shocked if the Chargers did anything significant the rest of the off-season aside from possibly signing Gates once again and possibly extending a player or two. We don't have any cap space and it seems as if the coaching staff and front office are happy with the roster. I'm also not sure where the rumor that Okung is contemplating retirement is coming from. I haven't heard anything about it aside from this board - source?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      I'd be absolutely shocked if the Chargers did anything significant the rest of the off-season aside from possibly signing Gates once again and possibly extending a player or two. We don't have any cap space and it seems as if the coaching staff and front office are happy with the roster. I'm also not sure where the rumor that Okung is contemplating retirement is coming from. I haven't heard anything about it aside from this board - source?
      I was the proud author of the shitpost about Okung contemplating retirement.

There is currently a 7 week deadzone period.

There are absolutely no sources for my speculation, but retirement for a 30 year old OLT is always a possibility, considering the factors pain management and risk-reward, plus appearances, with ALs framing of comments.

Okung will certainly consider the lucrative contract he personally negotiated, and he will think of alternative bitcoin profits, a TPB fav, as Russell mentions often, on social media.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        The speculation seems a bit premature, but is no doubt mostly a reaction to Lynn's comment:

"LT Russell Okung also did not practice due to an undisclosed injury, according to Lynn. Asked of Okung's injury could be long-term, Lynn said: "We don't know yet." Sam Tevi shifted over to left tackle with Okung out, and Trent Scott played right tackle."

Eric Williams‏Verified account @eric_d_williams

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

We got enough gimpy OL, don't need another, at top dollar.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I see Okung-Feeney-Pouncey-Schofield-Tevi.
            At the end of the vid, I saw Scott lift up Jackson. Maybe he had come on the field for the XP then and got in on the celebration. My bad, i should have rewatched.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

It is announced that prized rookie OLT Jonah Williams has had surgery for a torn labrum and will not play for the Bengals this season.

Are you sure you are still upset about the uncertainty surrounding Russell Okung ?

:coffee:

...and...where's wefghty ?

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                We got enough gimpy OL, don't need another, at top dollar.
                We had a feral kitten one time which we took in. Had a gimpy leg so we named it "Gimpy". Dude, cat grew up to be a killer. It became the alhpa cat in its alley. It would fight other cats, dogs, even possums.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

The Bolts are so close to the SB, I'd be disappointed if a player came available that could help them and they didn't jump on the opportunity. This opportunity for the Bolts to go to the SB only comes around every 25 years or so.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    The Bolts are so close to the SB, I'd be disappointed if a player came available that could help them and they didn't jump on the opportunity.This opportunity for the Bolts to go to the SB only comes around every 25 years or so.
                    We've seen quite a few mistakes in FA that cost dearly. I'm not going to be critical of non-hires. You never know 'till it either works for good or evil. I'll leave it up to TT & Lynn. It's their careers and financial success that's on the line.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

We might have traded up for Jonah Williams, just injured.

We might have drafted
                      Ronnie Stanley--Chris Jones--Austin Hooper
                      instead of
                      Joey Bosa--Hunter Henry--Max Tuerk.

No twenty-twenty hindsight here, just foresight.

The teachings of Pat Meyer are about to take hold and come to fruition.

I am bullish on the megatrends re LAC Oline.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

There has to be a lot of confidence in Sam Tevi and Russel Okung must not be expected to be out too long. There is just a lot of unrest in my mind about Tevi, but the coach staff knows these guys better than all of us.

1. Drafting a project OT in Tre Pipkins who isn't projected to even see the field must say they have confidence in Sam Tevi
                        2. With Okung down they have enough confidence to move Tevi to Left Tackle and haven't sought to bring a tackle in???? They know better than us
                        3. Overall they must expect Feeny to rebound, and Lamp to step up and be what all the pundits say he was going to be, and Sam Tevi has improve???

Lot of questions lets hope the management and coaching staff is right, this team is loaded with talent to make a Super Bowl run lets hope we aren't talking about what they should of done this season, Rivers is getting older and this is roster other than OL has more talent than the 2006 14-2 Chargers( LT, Merriman, Gates, McNeill, Dielman, Philips, Jammer ) and the 2009 13-3 Chargers with the same cast plus (Vincent Jackson, Weddle, and Cromartie) but this OL.

Hoping this is our year and I am wrong about our OL

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                          There has to be a lot of confidence in Sam Tevi and Russel Okung must not be expected to be out too long. There is just a lot of unrest in my mind about Tevi, but the coach staff knows these guys better than all of us.

1. Drafting a project OT in Tre Pipkins who isn't projected to even see the field must say they have confidence in Sam Tevi
                          2. With Okung down they have enough confidence to move Tevi to Left Tackle and haven't sought to bring a tackle in???? They know better than us
                          3. Overall they must expect Feeny to rebound, and Lamp to step up and be what all the pundits say he was going to be, and Sam Tevi has improve???

Lot of questions lets hope the management and coaching staff is right, this team is loaded with talent to make a Super Bowl run lets hope we aren't talking about what they should of done this season, Rivers is getting older and this is roster other than OL has more talent than the 2006 14-2 Chargers( LT, Merriman, Gates, McNeill, Dielman, Philips, Jammer ) and the 2009 13-3 Chargers with the same cast plus (Vincent Jackson, Weddle, and Cromartie) but this OL.

Hoping this is our year and I am wrong about our OL
                          All valid observations.

I keep going back to the investment we've made over the past 3 years in the Oline.

1) Brought in 2 PB experienced vets, with some injury histories, at key positions of LOT & OC. MP & RO are former 1st rounders. Add MS a former 3rd rounder and starter on SB winning team.
                          2) 2017 spent 2nd, 3rd, & 6th on FL, DF, & ST. Mixed results but 2 now have significant starting experience. Lamp is healthy, strong, and ready to impose his will this season. Year 3 is huge for all 3.
                          3) 2018 used a 5th rounder on SQ, who performed well in limited snaps subbing for MP. He has the athleticism, power, and football IQ to be a solid player.
                          4) 2019 spent a 3rd on TP. He will need till midseason, at least, to acquire technique, strength, and reps to be a viable option.

That is a ton a capital, draft & $, over 3 years.
                          Time for talent and coaching to rise up!
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X