• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't think the weather on game day really beat us as much as the combination of weather in back to back weeks got us. There is no excuse for not being able to play in the cold. But to go from dehydrated and exhausted in the humidity to bitter cold was too much. I just don't see how anyone could have mentally adjusted.

But, even if we had been in that game, I don't think we could have beaten them, at least not by trying to outscore them. If the teams were the same as the regular season performances, maybe. But 49ers offense and D were both a lot better then when we faced them. Their secondary, with Eric Wright and Ronnie Lott at CB got a lot better as the season went on. And their pass rush was a lot better too. I don't think they could have stopped our O completely, but they would have slowed us down enough that their offense would have kept scoring, and I think we lose a shootout.

I do think we could have won, just we would have had to win it the old fashioned way. Game plan, and some ball control. But I think when our D was that bad, we had to protect them some, minimize their exposure. And controlling the clock does that.

SDfan, I agree about the running game. I think you still want to develop Rivers as a passer, but that doesn't mean you go away from the running game. I think the tempo, run/pass ratio, game plan around who to attack, all fits into the thing. Again, I am not suggesting we not go up tempo to attack teams, just that there are times when a team may want to try to play at a slower tempo and that may work out better for us. But either earlier or later in the same game, we may want to run a series or two where we play up tempo. And when we play slow tempo, we may want to get to the line fast, then slow things down to milk the clock, as a way of avoiding the other team from subbing when we don't.

Short term, I do think we will probably need to lean more heavily on playing slow. I just don't think we have the overall talent level to try and straight out defeat a lot of the better teams. I think we have to shorten the games and use ball control to limit matchups. Long term, yes, as our talent level improves, then I think it is a better idea. It really works best when you can find a match up you like leave the same personnel on the field, and just keep exploiting it play after play. Even if they can cover it up, any adjustment they have ready may leave other holes. But if you cannot gain a matchup advantage, is it really going to help to run the plays faster?

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

VP of refs: Officials control tempo
      Updated: July 30, 2013, 2:31 PM ET
      ESPN.com news services

NFL referees might put the brakes on Chip Kelly's high-octane offense with the Philadelphia Eagles this season.

Whether Kelly's fast-paced attack would work as well at the professional level as it did in college was one of the most intriguing questions heading into this season. However, NFL rules likely will force Kelly to make adjustments.

"We have to make sure teams understand that they don't control the tempo, our officials do," NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told The Wall Street Journal. "We're going through our normal ball mechanics, we aren't going to rush [unless] it's in the two minute drill."
      Well that sucks. Tempo is a weapon and they're taking it away from Kelly. So now we go out to watch the refs call a game instead of the players playing it?
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

The Refs have been affecting the tempo for years. It's a very subtle way to control the flow of the game. Our corporate sponsors have too much invested to let a game get out of hand too early.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Screw Kelly. They can take it away from him if they want, I really don't care about him. I'm more worried about us, although as I stated it earlier, I think there are some other reasons for doing things uptempo, that go beyond gaining an advantage in terms of tempo.

I understand that the refs control things to a certain point. You can't rush the refs setting the ball, for example, which is what I believe they are talking about. And when their are penalties, the refs need to be able to discuss things. But outside of that, I really don't see how the refs can interfere.

Did Chip Kelly do anything really wierd that I am not remembering about

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

And they also just mosey on back into position and don't let them snap they ball until they are sufficiently rested from the previous play.
            According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.
            How about we get that up to 15?
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Wheels
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

The refs need to get aligned too, and the defense should have a fair chance to react to where the offense has aligned itself, otherwise it's an even greater advantage than what they currently have.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Why? the Defense needs to keep up with the O, not the O slowing down and waiting for the D to get ready.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  Why? the Defense needs to keep up with the O, not the O slowing down and waiting for the D to get ready.
                  It's in the rule book, defense needs to be given a fair chance to get aligned. Otherwise you have bitches like Manning and Brady using pussy tactics to get an unfair edge on the defense, because they can't go mano a mano.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    The refs need to get aligned too, and the defense should have a fair chance to react to where the offense has aligned itself, otherwise it's an even greater advantage than what they currently have.
                    I disagree. If the O makes personnel changes, the D has to be able to respond. Otherwise, it's all fair game to me.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

You have to give teh D a chance to catch up a bit on the field. The DL are running the other way, plus they often get pushed past the QB/pocket, then they have turn around to run down the field past the OL to get on-sides. You have to give the DL a chance to get back without calling them every time. There needs to be some competitive balance struck there. But the offense is the side that gets to initate the snap, so they are always going to be at somewhat of an advantage. The pass rush is not going to get enough recovery time in those downs, and there is really nothing you can do unless you want to call timeout.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Tempo is a weapon, if the D can't keep up, tough. If the O changes personnel, you have to give the D chance to respond, but if the O keeps the same 11 on the field, they shouldn't have to wait.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                          Otherwise you have bitches like Manning and Brady using pussy tactics to get an unfair edge on the defense, because they can't go mano a mano.
                          Manning trying to snap the ball like a chicken with his head cut off when the defense has 20 guys on the field is completely bush league. He deserves a forearm shiver to the giant dome of his right on the bullseye on his forehead left by the supersized helmet that doesn't quite fit.

Comment

Working...
                          X