Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
    Darby might start for us one day soon. He's good. Hopefully for us and not someone else.
    Is Darby short? If he is and ever becomes a regular in our secondary, we could call it Darby and the Little People.
    Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      Is Darby short? If he is and ever becomes a regular in our secondary, we could call it Darby and the Little People.
      LOL! I have memories as a child from that movie. The scene where the Banshee comes to 'visit' the home where Sean Connery is staying and the old man he's with (Albert Sharpe) grabs a shovel (of all things) and tries to clunk it over the head.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
        I don't know if that will schtick.

Comment

• blahblahblah
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
          Kirwin didn't call him a slot corner. GM's and scouts did. They really should read more Bleacher Report.
          Maybe they should. It was a much more compelling argument than just calling him a slot guy, especially as he struggled in the slot last year, his first year under the scheme change that forced him to play a new position. Identifying WHY he struggled with a scheme change is what scouts are supposed to do.

Definition of insanity.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Personally, I think it is about biases. Everyone seems to knock Norv because he was using players in preconceived ways, but then around draft time everyone likes to think about this potential pick or that potential pick as begin like this NFL player or that, because the guy looks like this player or that. Then you watch them play, you see that the skills are not the same.

Flowers was never going to be a great press man to man cover guy. He doesn't have those skills. But he has the skills if you are willing to live with the fact that he doesn't play press well, he is fine. I think part of it is Bob Sutton loves to do the press man to man, and part of it is that everyone is in love with Richard Sherman. If you are willing to take other guys, we can get good players cheaper (both draft pick and dollars) then other teams that only want the Richard Sherman's. And we may well end up getting the better players as a result.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Tall CBs are the flavor of the month, most can not run as fast as the smaller guys. Allen will eat them up...
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• blahblahblah
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

It's about biases, good ol boy networks, and just plain incompetence.

I think we tend to overrate the innate ability of front office types. There aren't many industries in the world in which Bill Belichick and Norv Turner would be considered geniuses.

Comment

• KarlC
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Wow. I just found out about this last night checking the backlog on the Power Hour podcasts I hadn't listened to since last week. ESPN has been wall-to-wall soccer and I didn't see any mention of this the couple times I checked SC before bed. ESPN's finally showing their NFL shows today for the first time in a week, and it's all Clowney, Manziel, and yadda-yadda-yadda.

Hope this turns out good for him and the team both. Pre-season can't get here fast enough for my liking.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

KC had an outstanding defense the first half of last year, so the new scheme did it job. If Flowers didn't fit anymore, so be it.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      KC had an outstanding defense the first half of last year, so the new scheme did it job. If Flowers didn't fit anymore, so be it.
                      I'd rather have an outstanding defense in the playoffs.

KC was overachieving vs a series of backup QBs. There's a reason multiple people called them paper tigers. And those people were right.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

There is no doubting there was an improvement. KC lost a lot of games they were expected to win a couple years ago, so even if it only worked against marginal guys, it was still an improvement. Now that said, that KC team was badly underachieving, and last years team really overachieved.

Remember though, Flowers was still starting outside for them the beginning of last year. Their coverage and pass rush was not nearly as good late in the season as it had been. I'm not sure if it was injuries, people catching with their scheme, or younger players fading down the stretch. One of the things people often forget, is that when a team rebounds so dramatically, most of the end up dropping back down the next season. Usually that is just players not putting in the same effort, and also the team getting a tougher schedule.

The Chiefs also have to contend with some very serious losses. First, their OL got decimated. That was the key to their offense last year, and Alex Smith is a much, much better QB in the pocket vs when he is playing outside the pocket (most QB are). Their secondary also lost a starter in Flowers, and while they can argue that Cooper had already replaced Flowers as the starting CB, they don't have an experienced NCB now.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                          Charger Fan till the end
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Carolina
                          • Send PM

They played all sub 500 teams. They are a good team but showed their stripes against playoff quality teams that attacked them. They folded big time. Still a good team that can challenge teams but I dont' think they were nearly as good as their 9-0 record showed. Glad we helped bring them down.

I'm excited to see our D this year. its not perfect but given a year under the scheme and players returning I think we have better depth now (they have experience) and we picked up a few good cogs to go into the system. We just need a middle of the road D and I think we can make the playoffs and possibly even challenge Denver.

RTPbolt

Comment

Working...
                          X