• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Listen, we aren't the same D, but we have other DB who can play.I don't see that as anywhere near the issue some do. We won't be a top 5, maybe even top 10 D, but I don't think the D needs to be that great.

OL was always the issue and it seems to be getting worse. On the one hand, NO was blitzing and stunting way more than a 2nd preseason game should. Most 2nd preseason games, you can truthfully say that you aren't ready for it, because you don't game plan for teams. We miss Okung badly.

But we have been practicing against them, so I am pretty sure we have seen some of what they have thrown at us in practice. And while they did a lot of it, it was not like what they threw at us was all that special. Our OL just really struggles with picking up guys on the move. The Cardale TD was a nice example of the OL picking up an overload blitz and Cardale took care of the other by getting the ball out on time, but the rest of it we really struggled with.

THe OL has shown some flashes, especially in the run game, but you would expect after last season, they would have put in more serious work vs the stunts and blitzes and we can see they are still struggling with it.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

NO threw a lot of different blitz packages at the OL. I was glad to see it. Get our OL more experience against it.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I would have been more excited to see our guys handle it better. We looked confused.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I would have been more excited to see our guys handle it better. We looked confused.
          That was a big problem last year.
          UGH...
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Sigh

Comment

• glutton4Bolts
              glutton for punishment
              • Jan 2019
              • Lake Arrowhead, CA
              • Send PM

I know you are supposed to have a "next guy up" mentality... but this team always plays w/o at least one of it's best players at all times due to injuries. It is getting ridiculous. Only PR is more valuable to this team IMO. James played almost every D position last year and more importantly, he could be counted on to shut down opposing TEs like Kelce in key situations. Even worse... while they say that he will miss 3-4 months... he will likely not be his normal explosive self until the following season. The chances of winning it all are so slim even when you are talented... and the Chargers just lost their best D player for the foreseeable future. I am beyond miserable about it.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Sigh

Bent a screw? How much pressure is he putting on that thing? The screw is weaker than the bone?
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Roderic Teamer, the summer standout, played the most snaps by any defensive player on Sunday. 21 snaps came at linebacker, 19 at slot cornerback, six on the defensive line and three at free safety. Teamer had a great game, finishing with 3 tackles and one sack.
                  There's our James replacement.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by glutton4Bolts View Post
                    I know you are supposed to have a "next guy up" mentality... but this team always plays w/o at least one of it's best players at all times due to injuries. It is getting ridiculous. Only PR is more valuable to this team IMO. James played almost every D position last year and more importantly, he could be counted on to shut down opposing TEs like Kelce in key situations. Even worse... while they say that he will miss 3-4 months... he will likely not be his normal explosive self until the following season. The chances of winning it all are so slim even when you are talented... and the Chargers just lost their best D player for the foreseeable future. I am beyond miserable about it.
                    It isn't like an ACL like when Hunter Henry came back late you can tell he just wasn't explosive, but with a fracture is making sure it is completely healed, 4 months worse case he is ready the last two games 12/22 vs Raiders and 12/29 @ Chiefs that is all based on us being in playoff contention that gets him a few games conditioning in game situations ready for playoff push. Best case scenario he comes back in 3 months and ease him slowly into games.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Bent a screw? How much pressure is he putting on that thing? The screw is weaker than the bone?
                      Healthy bone flexes some. Screw, not so much apparently.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Three months from now is mid-November. We play the Chiefs on MNF on Nov 18. It would be really nice to have him back for that first Chiefs game!
                        And I... am going to be there.

Comment

• shruggy
                          shruggy was here
                          • Dec 2018
                          • Send PM

Our path to winning the Super Bowl has got a lot more interesting now.

I wonder who'll be named our Super Bowl MVP.

Comment

Working...
                          X