First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

When you have a coach who is against increased exposure by virtue of his close to the vest style, how does this not represent a downside? Usurping the environment and culture he is choosing to create, a culture that is producing results after one year, and now you cut him off at the knees so they appeal to some couch potato slug in Bumfuck, Nebraska? Me, I'm sick of waiting for a Super Bowl and I'd like to cut out any potential distraction so they can finally get the job done.

Whatever happened to the John Facenda narrated highlights at year end? That was once good enough. I don't want to watch how Ryan Mathews plays Wizards of War or whatever it's called.

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Why couldn't McCoy continue to play it close to the vest? He can continue to not answer anything with any specifics, etc. I think the benefits of exposure are more important in this case. I do agree that no coach would want Hard Knocks (well most, someone like Jon Gruden or Brian Billick might), but disagree that the show would negatively impact the results on the field. If it results in more working capital for management to invest in the product, stadium, community, etc. would that matter?

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

How much more capital would they get to make a real difference anyway? I don't believe there is any benefit to the on-field team.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          How much more capital would they get to make a real difference anyway? I don't believe there is any benefit to the on-field team.
          Branding and such is interesting in and of itself. I do believe there is tangible value to increasing brand recognition. IMO the Chargers can benefit from Hard Knocks much more than a team like the Cowboys.

As far as on the field is concerned, still don't see a downside. Might motivate Johnny Patrick to perform at a much higher level!

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The downside is having the production cause a distraction to the team. I'm not convinced it would not be a distraction, and that is more than enough reason for me.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Fair enough, and I'm not convinced it would be a distraction that would adversely affect performance. Just my opinion. I still hope they do it.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Being on a show like Hard Knocks can give national exposure, and can expand the fan base. But does it have anything to do with putting a better team o the field? Lots of studies have shown, the only thing that really helps ticket sales and really helps national exposure is winning. And I am pretty sure it is especially true for a team like the Chargers. Every time the team makes some move, every football fan I work with comes up and gives me a hard time, sort of implying the Chargers are doing it "again", and then they sort of wonder when we are going to finally get our act together and win a SB. People see right through these sort of "artificial" attempts, like a teenager trying to get attention.

Yes Hard knocks gets you attention, but the only thing that really works in exactly the right way, for exactly the right reason is winning.

Comment

Working...
                X