• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

This is exactly why I'm SORTA reluctant to start heaping a ton of praise onto TT (don't get me wrong...liked the hire and pretty much all moves to date), but AJ Smith was wildly successful early on for us and then he fell off the face of the fucking planet.

Don't go that route, TT!
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      This is exactly why I'm SORTA reluctant to start heaping a ton of praise onto TT (don't get me wrong...liked the hire and pretty much all moves to date), but AJ Smith was wildly successful early on for us and then he fell off the face of the fucking planet.

Don't go that route, TT!
      AJ Smith also had the first pick in the draft in 2005 and picked first in nearly every round in 2005. Sure he made some good picks ....Sammy Davis not being one of them(2003) ....but when you pick early its easier to get good players. He had his share of good picks and had his share of awful picks(Buster,English,Mouton). You can't miss so badly in first rounders and have massive reaches.

Hopefully Telesco won't have too many bad picks .....especially bad reaches. AJ also wasn't very good in keeping up on the OL when be needed to.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-25-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I could never imagine Telesco ever developing an ego like AJ

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
          definitely AJs worst pick. Even worse than Buster and Larry. Literally nobody had Mouton going in the 2nd except AJ. That draft sucked. Who the hell prioritizes an entire draft on special teams?
          maybe a team universally praised as having a "stacked roster", returning all 22 starters who are vets, in the middle of their "Super Bowl window", coached by a "QB guru" working his magic on offense- and just coming off the worst season for Special Teams play in NFL history? Other than that, I am baffled.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

From Grantland:

Guard: Jeromey Clary, Chargers
            Contract Flaw: The Marginal Talent; Ever Fallen in Love With a Player You Shouldn’t Have?

A mess at right tackle in San Diego for years, Clary has repeatedly been defended by the organization as a worthwhile contributor to what has usually been a terrible offensive line. He moved to guard last season after the team drafted D.J. Fluker in the first round, where he wasn’t much better. He’s in the final year of a four-year, $20 million deal; if the Chargers don’t cut him, he’ll be the fourth-highest-paid player on the team.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

I would not be happy going into the season with Porkchops starting @ RG, so unless Joe D' can plug in Ohrn or fast-forward development of Watt- a healthy Clary is still the best option- with a reduced salary the best-case scenario. From the sound of the story on his hip surgery, it was pretty much a last ditch effort kind of deal to save his hip and there is no guarantee he can even make it back to playing. At that point, injury-settlement release enters the discussion and we have a bigger ? at RG going into the season.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Give Watt time. Troutman knows what he needs to do and hasn't done it, meh.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  From Grantland:

Guard: Jeromey Clary, Chargers
                  Contract Flaw: The Marginal Talent; Ever Fallen in Love With a Player You Shouldn’t Have?

A mess at right tackle in San Diego for years, Clary has repeatedly been defended by the organization as a worthwhile contributor to what has usually been a terrible offensive line. He moved to guard last season after the team drafted D.J. Fluker in the first round, where he wasn’t much better. He’s in the final year of a four-year, $20 million deal; if the Chargers don’t cut him, he’ll be the fourth-highest-paid player on the team.
                  But that who thought assumes that the evaluation is Clary is correct. Why would a team keep sticking up for him if they weren't grading him much more highly. Again, so many people use the PFF grades as gospel, yet, they seem to show a strong bias towards a lot of inside players in zone offenses, and biases OT in man blocking schemes.

As far as the timing, it is still kinda early to think injury settlement. Historically, vets can miss a lot of TC and still come in and play at a high level, so I don't think there is any reason to think he can't be ready to play this year.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Clary is in competition for a spot. Older, expensive, marginal talent and hurt is not a good combo for a team looking to the future..
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

F21, I agree with that formulation but at this point I question whether the alternatives are as good. Obviously they see something in Watt, but it was apparently not what others saw. For me, riding out the year with Clary might be the least bad alternative.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                        F21, I agree with that formulation but at this point I question whether the alternatives are as good. Obviously they see something in Watt, but it was apparently not what others saw. For me, riding out the year with Clary might be the least bad alternative.
                        Maybe. I not saying cut Clary, I'm just hoping others step up enough to make it a hard decision.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

TT has quickly moved us to a place were "good enough" secures nothing. Finally.

Comment

Working...
                          X