• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don't think the NFL needed teams in LA. And TV rights money wasn't the reason the owners of the Rams and Chargers wanted to move. They wanted to move to LA on the theory that they could make a lot more money for themselves by selling luxury suites -- which is the revenue that doesnt have to be shared in the NFL.
    In that case it doesn't matter who they sell to...home team fans or visiting fans...the spanos still collect their revenue.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

In that case it doesn't matter who they sell to...home team fans or visiting fans...the spanos still collect their revenue.
      ticket revenue is shared with the visiting team. The home team keeps a bigger cut (which isn't fair to visiting teams at Carson) but ticket money isn't the reason to move. it's luxury suites. Visiting fans don't invest in luxury sites or PSL's for that matter.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

I don't think the NFL needed teams in LA. And TV rights money wasn't the reason the owners of the Rams and Chargers wanted to move. They wanted to move to LA on the theory that they could make a lot more money for themselves by selling luxury suites -- which is the revenue that doesnt have to be shared in the NFL.
        I'm saying the NFL wanted two teams in the big TV market that is LA. I don't care what Kroenke or Spano's thought. Spano's will still make money in LA even if the team is hated.

It's the only reason Goodell wants a team in London or Mexico City. Why the F else would he want teams there? It doesn't make goegraphical sense to do that , no free agents will want to go there either.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm saying the NFL wanted two teams in the big TV market that is LA. I don't care what Kroenke or Spano's thought. Spano's will still make money in LA even if the team is hated.

It's the only reason Goodell wants a team in London or Mexico City. Why the F else would he want teams there? It doesn't make goegraphical sense to do that , no free agents will want to go there either.
          Certain owners like Jerry Jones probably wanted a team in the LA but the a lot of owners were agnostic about it. Didn't really matter to them one way or another.

Goodell wants games in London and Mexico City because he wants to increase the audience for the league. I don't think it makes geographic sense to put a team there permanently and I doubt it happens.

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

Things would have been different had a stadium been built in SD... Not to the effect of Lambeau, Dallas, or New Orleans but it would def be better than it is now. Spanos NEEDS to sell the team period, this is the most inept ownership and franchise in the league. Raiders a close second...

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

For those who say the Rams don’t get shade either for their home crowds: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ns%3f_amp=true

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Comedy Film GIF by Turner Classic Movies
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

I like the harpo marx gif...the slot machine is just spittin the money out.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

The reason it’s like this number one is not enough winning tradition coupled with the bandwagon and transplant nature of Southern California.

Growing up east county SD being born in 76 I have memories of my family having gatherings to watch games when I was really little,I assume these were playoff games. I heard of Fouts but didn’t know what that was and a few years after I would sometimes notice a faded charger power bumper sticker. None of the kids in school or any of my friends were Charger fans. My Ayso soccer team was called the red raiders because the coach obviously wasn’t a Chargers fan. Die hard Charger fans I can recall one step dad a few houses over and another dad I remember being a big 49er and Montana fan. I first got in to the NFL around 13 or 14 I was like wow Barry Sanders is nuts and then there were a couple of Raider fans in woodshop making Marcus Allen Bo Jackson etchings so I was like Bo Raiders yeah and I recall rooting for them against the Chargers and rooting for the Raiders in the post season where they got crushed by the bills. I then rooted for the Giants in the Superbowl. I then realized what the heck San Diego has a team so I am a Charger fan after that. A good friend also native East county same age 49ers all over his room. Discovered sports talk radio. team went on a run and I realized many people were casual fans who got behind the team when they thought they were good. Even after 92 another good buddy same age sd native is a big cowboys fan. Finally getting to the Super Bowl got him on the bandwagon.

so yeah their is a lot of transplants but even so cal natives are very commonly picking random teams to be a fan of. I noticed this growing up. Bulls fans everywhere. Whatever team is good there fans are all over.

migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

ticket revenue is shared with the visiting team. The home team keeps a bigger cut (which isn't fair to visiting teams at Carson) but ticket money isn't the reason to move. it's luxury suites. Visiting fans don't invest in luxury sites or PSL's for that matter.
                      Exactly! It's about luxury suite sales. Visiting fans don't buy those. And why would they when you can show up on game day and buy a ticket to a half filled stadium...? And if you're a corporate type that wants to entertain/impress clients, why the hell would you buy a Chargers luxury suite...? Optics are bad right now for Chargers. And they'll soon be in re-build mode. They needed a splash... they got a thud...

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                        The reason it’s like this number one is not enough winning tradition coupled with the bandwagon and transplant nature of Southern California.

Growing up east county SD being born in 76 I have memories of my family having gatherings to watch games when I was really little,I assume these were playoff games. I heard of Fouts but didn’t know what that was and a few years after I would sometimes notice a faded charger power bumper sticker. None of the kids in school or any of my friends were Charger fans. My Ayso soccer team was called the red raiders because the coach obviously wasn’t a Chargers fan. Die hard Charger fans I can recall one step dad a few houses over and another dad I remember being a big 49er and Montana fan. I first got in to the NFL around 13 or 14 I was like wow Barry Sanders is nuts and then there were a couple of Raider fans in woodshop making Marcus Allen Bo Jackson etchings so I was like Bo Raiders yeah and I recall rooting for them against the Chargers and rooting for the Raiders in the post season where they got crushed by the bills. I then rooted for the Giants in the Superbowl. I then realized what the heck San Diego has a team so I am a Charger fan after that. A good friend also native East county same age 49ers all over his room. Discovered sports talk radio. team went on a run and I realized many people were casual fans who got behind the team when they thought they were good. Even after 92 another good buddy same age sd native is a big cowboys fan. Finally getting to the Super Bowl got him on the bandwagon.

so yeah their is a lot of transplants but even so cal natives are very commonly picking random teams to be a fan of. I noticed this growing up. Bulls fans everywhere. Whatever team is good there fans are all over.
                        Cool story Blazing! I'll tell you mine... I was born 10 years before you (1966). I was actually born in Santa Barbara and was a Rams fan for the first 10 years of my life. Rams had a good run during the 70's. My family moved (back) to SD county when I was 7 and I remained a Rams fan initially. The Chargers were bad in the early 70's. Although, most long time Chargers fans (my dad) could tell you all about the 60's Chargers lore (Bambi, Lowe, Mix, Gillman ect.). In 1976 (year you were born) I went to my first Chargers game... I was actually there to watch my Rams. I was really surprised to see the stadium full even though the Chargers were bad at the time. Stadium was 51,000 seats at the time and filled, to my recollection. Chargers played the Rams real close that day. I was impressed with the energy of the crowd that day and adopted my 2nd favorite team (Chargers). My first introduction to Chargers football was the opposite of the narrative most people hear about Chargers' fans... here were passionate fans filling a stadium to see a bad team. Of course a couple years later, Air-Coryell landed and it was nearly impossible to get a ticket for 5 or 6 years. The stadium would be expanded 2 times and add 20,000 seats. Once the stadium was expanded, you started seeing some visiting fans (mostly in the obstructed seats behind the visitor's bench... and front of the north facing cameras). But the Chargers' faithful maintained their numbers (51,000 - 55,000). Certainly, during the "lean" years, enthusiasm has ebbed and flowed. But the narrative (SD fans were fair-weather) is just not true. They've always been there (maybe not 71,000) but very few original loyal fans ever bailed on the Chargers (until recently after the move).

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

fail stephan feck GIF

FAIL
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X