POLL: Is it time to start the re-building process?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Is it time to start the re-building process?

I think this team is mostly done. Too many holes to fill, too many injuries, and the players we have are not being prepared properly for games. I think we need a semi-major overhaul, though we still have some really good players, so the overhaul may only take 2 years instead of 3-4. Top needs are:

1. Whole new coaching staff. Lynn, Whiz and Bradley all need to go. "Loyal" Lynn is so intent on "not messing with chemistry" that he fails to put the best players on the field. Or, he gives more snaps to under-performing players than those who can contribute better. The stubborn MG3 up the gut for nada, repeatedly, is getting old. Bench him until he can actually play. After the season's over, let him go. "Butterfingers" Benji and his dropped balls is just a sick joke. Cut him now, please. Jatavis and his launchwhiffing is almost laughable. Bench him and cut him at the end of the season. Thomas Davis finally showed up a few plays vs. the Steelers, but has been mostly unimpressive. Running on fumes. Cut him after the season. Terrible game planning. Whiz's playcalling is so predictable. Bradley's D always seems woefully unprepared, especially in the first half of games. Both Whiz and Bradley "Non-Fighting Vehicle" are awful at early game adjustments. Seems like we don't start hitting on all cylinders until late in the 3rd quarter, and by that time, we're 20+ points behind to scrub teams.

2. Draft and/or sign via FA: OT, OG, C, DT, CB, RB

3. Rivers--sorry, I think he's done. Had high hopes for him after last season, but this year is a new low. Yes, I realize the O-line has issues, but those two picks in the Steeler game were awful. A few near-picks also. In crunch time, he just has a meltdown. A mobile QB will scramble out of a lot of those situations and turn them into first downs. This is Rivers's other Achilles heel.

4. Start giving a LOT more snaps to some of our so-called "promising" backups. Seriously, can Tranquill and Egbule do any worse than Thomas Davis and Jatavis? What about Lanier? He showed some spunk in the pre-season--let the dude play! Too bad we lost Chris Peace--right when we could use a pass rusher. Bad roster move there, but it's done. As soon as Subtracterley is healthy, he starts at FS and Rayshawn goes to SS. Teamer to the bench. Let's find out what we've really got, so we really know who to draft. Even give Tyrod and Stick some snaps. Who knows? Maybe one of them is more effective scrambling out of trouble than Rivers. If they can connect on a few passes, it's gravy. Maybe one of them starts moving the team down the field and gives us something to root for, instead of constantly cringing as Rivers gets hurried, flustered, and slings up another rock into coverage for a pick. But try something, ANYTHING!
    Yes, time give the Bolts an overhaul!
    52.94%
    No, the Chargers STILL have a chance for the playoffs!
    23.53%
    Other--see my answer
    23.53%
    Last edited by Topcat; 10-14-2019, 09:54 PM.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Not needed, not going to happen. Nobody wants to hear it but injuries have wiped us out. The depleted secondary cost us a game or two early and the line and a harried Rivers the past two. Add in a hurt kicker and you have 2-4. Clearly there are holes that need to be filled, but there is a reason why the team was picked by so many to go deep in the playoffs. There is no need to overreact and the front off won't.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I agree with everything in the original post.
      My first question is, who replaces Lynn, whiz and Gus?
      if I’m John Spanos (I’d kick my own ass, but afterwards) I give Telesco 1 more coaching regime
      I target Lincoln Riley or another qb/offensive minded college guy to be head coach.
      draft a qb round 1 and OL rounds 2 through 7
      sign Rex Ryan to run the D (and stay off morning NFL shows)
      Rivers off the books, Mebane, Benji, Gordon, Thomas,

G-Ro knows.

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        I agree with everything in the original post.
        My first question is, who replaces Lynn, whiz and Gus?
        if I’m John Spanos (I’d kick my own ass, but afterwards) I give Telesco 1 more coaching regime
        I target Lincoln Riley or another qb/offensive minded college guy to be head coach.
        draft a qb round 1 and OL rounds 2 through 7
        sign Rex Ryan to run the D (and stay off morning NFL shows)
        Rivers off the books, Mebane, Benji, Gordon, Thomas,

I would not give Telesco another regime. He sees the door with this coaching staff when they go. The guy has not impressed enough to warrant an extension.

Time to get back to physical football. It starts on the inside and builds out. Trenches first, skill 2nd.

We are as soft/finesse as it gets currently
        ​​​​

​​​​

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

wait 'til next year,

stayin' the course.... 'til 202!

see it true, see it thru.... (w/Phi!
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• RollingThunder
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Time to blow it all up. Even if we manage to scrape into the playoffs, this team is going nowhere. We are soft and mentally weak across the board and that never equals a championship.

Rivers is fools gold at this point. Looks good on the surface and can get you some wins but when it comes down to cashing in and when it matters, the guy just gets exposed. He just doesn't have "it" at this point and this is coming from someone that loved the guy.

Any head coach that allows Travis Benjamin to continue to be on this team, is not a good head coach, period. I'll use that as a barometer of either being blind or accepting failure because TB is one of the worst wide receivers I have seen start on an NFL team in my lifetime. If this isn't obvious to you as a coach then you and your team are doomed to fail.

Comment

• UglyTruth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2018
              • Send PM

This roster reached its highest ceiling last year. It’s defin to blow it up.

However, Telesco is not the GM to trust for the rebuild process as he’s proven that.
              Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
              - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
              - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
              - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
              - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
              - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
              - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Nobody wants to hear it but injuries have wiped us out.
                Other teams are dealing with injuries too. But they're getting things done to produce wins. Chargers should prove they can do the same.

Yeah it's ridiculous how the team is getting players injured at an insane rate. Fans need to start sending complaints about this to the team. The team might not listen, but the fans should at least try.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  wait 'til next year,

stayin' the course.... 'til 202!

see it true, see it thru.... (w/Phi!
                  Thank you beach for your
                  intellectual honesty in your draft takes.

Too many are trying to be too smart,
                  with perfect 20-20 hindsight
                  vs the pros,
                  and glossing over, or even ignoring, their own misses, in draft takes.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Balboa Park bench
                    • Medical Simulation
                    • Send PM

Rebuild the fanbase...

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Dam well very close, and a lose against the Titans would for sure signal rebuild like total rebuild from coaches to players, and be active before trade deadline. Only way you don't start this process is if we some how go on a miracle ride we are only 2 games back of KC, but that would mean we are playing lights out and going down the stretch we have Derwin James being Derwin James, Adderly showing why he was our 2nd round pick, Tranquill and White are major players, on offense Okung is back, Henry is healthy, our 3rd reciever option in not Benjamin hopefully Jason Moore steps into that role. That is a lot to hope for so the reality

On offense we will need to address
                      1. OT- no explanation required
                      2. QB - the River's train is coming to an end he may have one more year in him
                      3. WR - with speed to play slot we have a lot of big wide outs, but we need that speed guy
                      4. TE- need depth behind Henry

On Defense
                      1. CB Casey Hayward is good, but I think he lost a step so we have Davis and King and God forbid an injury
                      2. DE Ingram hasn't played good this year and who knows what Joey Bosa will do next year is year 4 which we should be trying to extend him, but what if Joey doesn't want to he may want to play with his brother in SF.
                      3. DT a run stuffer this may need to be #1 on the list for Defense

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Nobody likes a rebuild (hey, it may actually be fun), but I ask you this: what do we have to lose? We have a measly 2 playoff appearances in the last 10 years. It's not like some golden age of championship football is coming to an end.

It just needs to be run by somebody other than Telesco.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                        X