• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

If the Chargers pick in the top 5, it has be a QB. Agree or disagree?

Comment

• assman3000
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Can't believe lamp is out for season..

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by assman3000 View Post
        Can't believe lamp is out for season..
        i can.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Depends. How does RIvers look down the stretch and how much longer does he want to play? If he looks shaky or only wants to play one year in the new stadium than yes. If he looks good and wants to play for two years than maybe - depending on what QBs are there vs what stud linemen.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Agree

Comment

• Tol
              From Accounting
              • Mar 2019
              • Carlsbad
              • Send PM

Disagree. Need Elite O-linemen first. In a QB heavy draft you can get one in the 2nd or even 3rd round with a high draft position.

Colts took Luck 1st overall, then tried to build an O-line. Didn't work out for Luck or the Colts. But Jacoby Brissett (3rd rounder) is now reaping the benefits of a solidly built O-line.

Unless there's a player you can't pass up on in the 1st like James, focus on building from the trenches out.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Disagree. Need Elite O-linemen first. In a QB heavy draft you can get one in the 2nd or even 3rd round with a high draft position.

Colts took Luck 1st overall, then tried to build an O-line. Didn't work out for Luck or the Colts. But Jacoby Brissett (3rd rounder) is now reaping the benefits of a solidly built O-line.

Unless there's a player you can't pass up on in the 1st like James, focus on building from the trenches out.

Don't agree. Luck benefitted from that OL last season and has been to the playoffs 4 different seasons.
                Brissett is in his 4th year. He isn't some 3rd round rookie. Denver drafted Lock in the 2nd round this year and he isn't going to be very good though granted this class is better than last year's.

We are in need of a franchise QB to groom and if we pick top 10,....especially top 5, you are idiots for not getting one in a good QB class at the top. You can still draft OL and sign them too.
                Rivers is going to be hard to replace so do it when you have the draft slot to do so.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-21-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

no..... sorry but we have a DC minded HC...... that is why we are so horrible in red zone.....

DC's as HC's suck overall...... only great one was bellycheat... who believes in being aggressive on offense and defense.......

almost all DC's want to be aggressive on defense and super super conservative on offense...... which keeps games close and forces perfect play in order to win...... any mistakes lose you games....

Offensive minded HC's tend to hire aggressive DC's......

look at the greatest HC's in recent history(guys who win overall and win in playoffs):

Bellycheat -dynasty DC but aggressive on both sides...
                  Walsh - dynasty
                  Holmgrin -
                  Gibbs -
                  Reid -
                  Peyton -
                  Coryell -
                  Shanahan - both
                  etc.....

Now try and name a great DC who also wants an QB oriented aggressive high scoring offense????
                  only one comes to mind...... bellycheat.....

I disagree that we have a D-minded HC.
                  It's supposed to be a run-heavy offense, I guess, but this team has no identity whatsoever outside of a handful of players.

Parcells, Don Shula, Pete Carroll all won unlike Reid and unfortunately Coryell. John Fox got as far as Reid has.
                  So I don't care if we have a QB-oriented aggressive high scoring offense or not, but I suppose Jimmy Johnson comes to mind for your criteria as at least a balanced attack w/Norv given M.Irvin, J.Novacek, Harper and Emmitt's receiving ability. That must be the case considering all the work Norv has milked off of it.

I want to win and I'm tired of watching my team get pushed around, and watching our supposed offensive genus coaches fail.

Belicheat won the last superbowl with his D shutting down the wunderkind.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Disagree, since it usually doesn't pay off unless you're very lucky and that is not a term I'd use to describe this franchise.

If there's an elite OL or game-changing D-man I definitely take him over a QB.

just looking back at the top QB vs. ?
                    '10 Sam Bradford < N.Suh, E.Berry, R.Okung
                    '11 Cam Newton < Von Miller
                    '12 A.Luck or L.Kuechly I guess take your pick on that one. Luck got killed by a lousy line and quit.
                    '13 N/A (Ej Manuel lol)
                    '14 Clowney/ K.Mack > B.Bortles
                    '15 Winston or Mariota < Big Cat Williams or V.Beasley ? maybe kind of a wash for Winston but I give the edge to the non-QBs.
                    '16 this one was Goff/Wentz/Bosa/Elliott/Ramsey You could throw a dart. Do you take Goff?
                    I think he'd get killed behind our line (and be written off like Brees was before we drafted Sheli/PR). Given Wentz injuries, I'm sure he would.
                    '17 Garrett > Trubisky but... P.Mahomes goes #10
                    Which QB would the Chargers have drafted? They passed on him and D.Watson for M.Williams.

'18 probably too early to tell, but so far I'd rather have Q.Nelson than Mayfield or L.Jackson. Rosen may already be a bust.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

Disagree, since it usually doesn't pay off unless you're very lucky and that is not a term I'd use to describe this franchise.

If there's an elite OL or game-changing D-man I definitely take him over a QB.

just looking back at the top QB vs. ?
                      '10 Sam Bradford < N.Suh, E.Berry, R.Okung
                      '11 Cam Newton < Von Miller
                      '12 A.Luck or L.Kuechly I guess take your pick on that one. Luck got killed by a lousy line and quit.
                      '13 N/A (Ej Manuel lol)
                      '14 Clowney/ K.Mack > B.Bortles
                      '15 Winston or Mariota < Big Cat Williams or V.Beasley ? maybe kind of a wash for Winston but I give the edge to the non-QBs.
                      '16 this one was Goff/Wentz/Bosa/Elliott/Ramsey You could throw a dart. Do you take Goff?
                      I think he'd get killed behind our line (and be written off like Brees was before we drafted Sheli/PR). Given Wentz injuries, I'm sure he would.
                      '17 Garrett > Trubisky but... P.Mahomes goes #10
                      Which QB would the Chargers have drafted? They passed on him and D.Watson for M.Williams.

'18 probably too early to tell, but so far I'd rather have Q.Nelson than Mayfield or L.Jackson. Rosen may already be a bust.
                      Ironically, two of the QBs on that list were drafted by Jeff Fisher who has no idea how to develope a QB.

Von Miller went before Cam and Bortles....lol. never liked him or Tribuski.
                      No pick is a guarantee and not all our first rounders have panned out.
                      OTs Bolles for Denver hasn't been good and Miller for Oakland hasn't been that great.
                      Vic Beasley has disapeared since his breakout second season.

You take your shot and hope you made the right decision

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Chargers Currently pick 6th

Chargers

Record: 2-5 (.389)
                        Previous week: No. 6
                        This week's game: at Bears
                        Biggest needs: OL, CB, QB

Oh no. The losers of five of their last six now face their toughest four-game stretch of the season: at Bears, vs. Packers, at Raiders, vs. Chiefs (in Mexico City). As for the needs, I'm not suggesting Philip Rivers should be pushed out the door in his contract year, but now would be the time to invest in an heir apparent for the soon-to-be 38-year-o
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No pick is a guarantee and not all our first rounders have panned out.
                          OTs Bolles for Denver hasn't been good and Miller for Oakland hasn't been that great.
                          Vic Beasley has disapeared since his breakout second season.

You take your shot and hope you made the right decision
                          Bolles and K.Miller weren't being hyped as can't miss, top ten picks... I remember some talk about McGlinchey I guess, but not as the #1 overall.
                          But my point was just top-rated QB prospect vs. the field in a Top-5 scenario in response to Velo's Q.

Luck was the QB who was the highest touted as being "can't miss" coming out during this decade. In that scenario I think you do have to take him. I wouldn't say that about any of the others.

Comment

Working...
                          X