What Should The Bolts Do About Rayshawn "Bonehead Penalty" Jenkins?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Jenkins is actually playing at a really high level. He is coming into his own as a player. The secondary is playing well with him back there.
    Yeah 6th ranked pass defense. Not bad when you we haven't had James for the entire season. With that said myself if a player makes a huge enough mistake where it could cost you a game then absolutely that player should either be released or sit on the bench for a game or two.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

There is a reason we brought in Adderly. Coaches do track what players do. And it doesn't have to be game changing penalties that add up to the point a player gets cut. Enough little ones will get you there too (Jenkins).

Players can be really weak on allowed penalties. I don't know if they don't think about it or not, but the player grading for Jenkins the stupid penalties do get graded, and usually pretty high. Teams will figure it in as a net gain, and too many penalties puts a FS into the negatives. To me, he certainly won a negative grade for the Packers game, despite what was otherwise an OK game. A semi-pro team I used to be around had guys who had no idea why they were losing their starting jobs for late hits and hits out of bounds (or other mental mistakes for that matter). They just felt like they had to be bad ass, and that is how that is done on the football field.

I think the way you handle it, after the coaches discipline him (team rules should already cover this), send a representative from the other meeting rooms, plus another DB and sit him down in front of Lynn. Then have Phil and Thomas Davis read him the riot act. He knows the injury situation and that we cannot cut him. The team needs him to be bigger than a guy trying to get a reputation. I am assuming that someone like Davis has already talked to him privately (once). The point is not to threaten him, but to let him know it is unacceptable. If it continues and we either don't resign him or cut him in the future, the team needs to let him know that is why.

I still think long term, Jenkins is probably better suited to be DJ backup and the guy being groomed to be the Adrian Phillips dime LB type of DB. Watkins played well at SS vs GB, but he had a very good PS as a FS. Watkins has also played some CB this season, and was solid there too.

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

Yeah 6th ranked pass defense. Not bad when you we haven't had James for the entire season. With that said myself if a player makes a huge enough mistake where it could cost you a game then absolutely that player should either be released or sit on the bench for a game or two.
        6th ranked pass defense?? After Trubisky, Tannehill, and that Pitt 3rd stringer, that I cant even remember his name, torched us? Stats sure can be misleading... only good game I have seen from this secondary is against the Packers and that was because of the Pass Rush.

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

6th ranked pass defense?? After Trubisky, Tannehill, and that Pitt 3rd stringer, that I cant even remember his name, torched us? Stats sure can be misleading... only good game I have seen from this secondary is against the Packers and that was because of the Pass Rush.
          Teams haven't bothered passing the ball on the Chargers because they can run it so easily. 3rd worst run defense in the league entering this past Sunday.

So yeah like you said, that can be misleading.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• captaind
            Cook This Pork Chops
            • Jun 2013
            • Mars
            • Ball Holder
            • Send PM

Echoes of D-Flop's headbutt against NE.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Rayshawn! Stupid! Stupid!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Cutting every player who makes one mistake could result in a thin bench in no time.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Like I said way earlier, during a game opposing players will sometimes hone in on a player who is likely vulnerable to head games. Someone got to him for free 15 yards.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                    Like I said way earlier, during a game opposing players will sometimes hone in on a player who is likely vulnerable to head games. Someone got to him for free 15 yards.
                    Rayshawn better develop a thick skin real quick like, or he's going to be the target of taunters league-wide...

Comment

• chris9341
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      Cutting every player who makes one mistake could result in a thin bench in no time.

I also said you can bench them to. But see players like Jenkins can be replaced because all he is doing is holding the fort down so to speak until Adderley is ready. I actually like Jenkins and he's played pretty good for us but lets be honest he's not Derwin James. With that said I don't want players who make stupid mistakes like that. It's one thing if you get say a PI penalty but it's another thing when you get a penalty because you can't keep your emotions in check. I just pray that no one defense ever pulls a Marlon Mcree ever again. Most hated Charger of all time.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I also said you can bench them to. But see players like Jenkins can be replaced because all he is doing is holding the fort down so to speak until Adderley is ready. I actually like Jenkins and he's played pretty good for us but lets be honest he's not Derwin James. With that said I don't want players who make stupid mistakes like that. It's one thing if you get say a PI penalty but it's another thing when you get a penalty because you can't keep your emotions in check. I just pray that no one defense ever pulls a Marlon Mcree ever again. Most hated Charger of all time.
                        He becomes more dispensable when our two (3?) more valued safeties come back off IR, sure. I thought the “what do we do with” question was more contemporaneous, as in do something now. Make a statement, set a tone, blah blah ,all that sort of stuff.

I do agree abject stupidity has to have a limit. I just wouldn’t set that limit at 1. Did he do this repeatedly game after game, am I just not paying attention? (This is always possible with me).
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

I wouldnt count on Adderley, he is a Telesco product....

Comment

Working...
                          X