• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Tua was carted off the field on a cart recently.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

I don't see us drafting a QB. O line has to be a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Need a new one, I’d draft Hurts.
        No, we do not need to draft a QB. We need to fix the OL.

Tyrod is under contract through 2020 and, if Rivers is willing, we should bring him back for up to two more seasons. So, QB is covered one way or another for the time being.

None of the QBs in this year's draft seem like they will be as good as Rivers has been and even if any of them somehow had that potential, none would reach that potential with the OL as presently constituted.

What follows is that we need to draft or sign good free agent OL players. Based merely upon observed play, honestly, I am not sold on a single OL player on the roster as a good long term starting option. Okung comes the closest, but his play seems like it has been declining from year to year for us. I liked Lamp coming out, but he cannot seem to stay healthy and has struggled to beat out bad players even when he was medically cleared to play. I realize that salary cap and other considerations may make it more difficult for the team not to keep certain players.

I would either 1) draft an OL worthy of our draft position or, if possible, 2) trade back for more draft picks. I would not select a QB at all in the 2020 draft. It would be the one position that would be completely off of my draft board.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
          Take OL and tank for Lawrence or Fields in 2021 draft.
          To me, it is all about getting Lawrence. Rivers should make it through at least 2020 if not 2021, so the timing is just right for Lawrence to come in and start right away or start after sitting for only one season. Lawrence is definitely "the guy" in my view, the one seemingly "can't miss" (if there ever were such a thing) prospect in the time frame in question.

For years people have been suggesting that the Chargers take a QB and I have never understood the wisdom in such an approach as it would have required the new QB to sit for all or almost all of his rookie contract behind Rivers, which makes no sense. I would prefer the QB to sit for one year at most and would also prefer the QB not get killed by a terrible OL.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

how do they rebuild the oline? all thru draft or get a FA or 2? Good oline FAs cost money. if they resign rivers it better be for a bargain cuz they cant afford paying him top5 AND get good FA olineman.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

No, we do not need to draft a QB. We need to fix the OL.

Tyrod is under contract through 2020 and, if Rivers is willing, we should bring him back for up to two more seasons. So, QB is covered one way or another for the time being.

None of the QBs in this year's draft seem like they will be as good as Rivers has been and even if any of them somehow had that potential, none would reach that potential with the OL as presently constituted.

What follows is that we need to draft or sign good free agent OL players. Based merely upon observed play, honestly, I am not sold on a single OL player on the roster as a good long term starting option. Okung comes the closest, but his play seems like it has been declining from year to year for us. I liked Lamp coming out, but he cannot seem to stay healthy and has struggled to beat out bad players even when he was medically cleared to play. I realize that salary cap and other considerations may make it more difficult for the team not to keep certain players.

I would either 1) draft an OL worthy of our draft position or, if possible, 2) trade back for more draft picks. I would not select a QB at all in the 2020 draft. It would be the one position that would be completely off of my draft board.
              Most of the Battling Maxo's appeal these days is his ability to take a beating week after week behind the 5 guys in front of him, but at this point we might as well roll the dice. It's time to let him go.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

You guys crazy, Hurts is likely the most NFL ready QB in the draft as he doesn’t need perfect protection to make plays like Burrow does. Keep drafting beef, yes, but put the guy behind them most likely to succeed while the beef gels. Also Tyrod is an obvious placeholder for the Jackson type QB you know Lynn is drooling for. Hurts will be it.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
                  East Coast Chargers Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
                  • Send PM

Oline line and lewarence or fields next year. What oline free agent are due this year that we can pick up?

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Drafting a qb in 2020 and 2021 shouldn’t be mutually exclusive
                    the qb position is different than every other position in their importance and value retention
                    draft a qb as the Oline will be an on-going project as it is for over half the league
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

We aren’t going to be in a position to draft either Burrows or Lawrence and you guys are dreaming if you think TT will mortgage then future for one of them, especially with the holes that need to be filled and the FA we’ll need to replace.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

You guys crazy, Hurts is likely the most NFL ready QB in the draft as he doesn’t need perfect protection to make plays like Burrow does. Keep drafting beef, yes, but put the guy behind them most likely to succeed while the beef gels. Also Tyrod is an obvious placeholder for the Jackson type QB you know Lynn is drooling for. Hurts will be it.
                        How much confidence does Telesco have in ALynn's judgement? Lynn might be gone after next year.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma

Jalen Hurts and the Sooners scored on their first three possessions to take a 21-0 lead over TCU, but the offense sputtered through the final three quarters to hold on for win No. 10. Hurts finished just 11 of 21 for a 145 yards with two touchdowns and a terrible interception but he rushed 28 times for 173 yards and two more scores.

And Hurts' dual-threat ability is what makes him such a great college player. But does that translate to the NFL? Because while he's an amazing runner, he doesn't have Lamar Jackson's athleticism. This means he's going to take a lot of hits from bigger, stronger and faster NFL players. And while Hurts is good for the occasional wow throw, his first instinct is to run, especially when his first read isn't there; his eyes drop, he leaves the pocket and usually looks to make plays with his feet.

Again, that's a perfectly suitable strategy in college but it's a short-lived one in the NFL. Hurts has also struggled with deep-ball accuracy at times this season, including Saturday night. He missed a wide-open Charleston Rambo in the end zone on the first drive, and he overthrew an open CeeDee Lamb in the second half for what could've have been another score.

On the Sooners' third touchdown of the game, Hurts makes a nice back-shoulder throw to Lamb near the pylon, but on the play before, he missed Lamb on a slant -- Lamb had beaten his defender but Hurts threw behind him.

On the drive before, Hurts made his best throw of the night, allowing tight end Brayden Willis to high-point the pass before somehow making his way to the end zone:

For much of the second half, the Sooners relied on the run game, led by Hurts and Kennedy Brooks. Partly because they were successful but also because the passing game was out of sorts. TCU regularly rushed just three and dropped eight, and Hurts never really had an answer for it. Early in the final quarter with Oklahoma leading 24-17, Hurts attempted a simple quick out in the red zone. The ball was deflected and almost intercepted. A play later, Hurts threw again, this time misfiring on a slant route, and TCU picked him off, returning it the length of the field for a touchdown.

On the next series, Hurts relied on his legs to get Oklahoma back into the red zone … where he turned the ball over again, this time fumbling as he went to the ground.

Oklahoma wisely ran the ball on its final 10 plays to escape with the victory. Hurts is undoubtedly an intriguing prospect but he's a one-read passer who would much prefer to run. Again, that works well in college football but is not an optimal strategy at the next level.

Comment

Working...
                          X