• Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Marshall now a Safety

Sees the writing on the wall
    --
    Chargers' Marshall accepts new position

Richard Marshall was 9 years old when he first played cornerback.

When he first played safety, he was 26.

The Chargers defensive back has returned to a fairly new position. This month, safety Jahleel Addae injured his hamstring during the second exhibition game. The coaching staff considered its internal options, and there was Marshall, a veteran in a logjam at cornerback. Seeing a chance to improve the team and Marshall's chances of making it, the coaches have him at safety again.

He is all for it.

"That's part of being a pro," Marshall, 29, said. "Whether you want to or not, if they asked you to do it and you can do it and it's going to help the team, you need to do it. That was my thing. They asked me do it. I didn't have a problem with going back there."

Marshall last played safety in 2011 with the Cardinals.

He moved there after Kerry Rhodes fractured his foot in the fifth game, taking reps in sub-packages. The transition for Marshall is easier this time. He's played the position before, and the duties for a cornerback and safety in the Chargers' nickel defense are similar.

On Sunday, Marshall debuted at safety.

When the starters were in, he was on the sideline, standing next to Addae while watching Eric Weddle. Marshall would hear the play call and, for mental reps, tell Addae what his responsibilities on the play were. They'd talk during the play. When it ended, the process reset.

Coach Mike McCoy was on staff in 2006 when the Panthers drafted Marshall in the second round. Secondary coach Ron Miles also was his position coach in Carolina.

He re-signed with San Diego in March on a one-year deal.

"We have a good idea what type of football player Richard is," McCoy said. "Richard just wants to help the football team win, and that's why he came back this year. He knew what we had here. He had some other opportunities, but the guy is a winner. He does it the way you want it coached. He plays with a lot of energy. He has a great passion for the game, and you love the position flexibility."

The more a player can do, the more valuable he is.

Marshall was on the roster bubble for much of camp. Shareece Wright, Brandon Flowers and Jason Verrett were roster locks at corner. Steve Williams, a 2013 fifth-round pick, seemed well positioned behind them. With Addae's status for the season opener in question, Marshall's ability to play multiple spots very well could be what keeps him in San Diego beyond the final roster cut Saturday.

For certain, it only helps.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Cant be any worse than he was at CB
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Coach Mike McCoy was on staff in 2006 when the Panthers drafted Marshall in the second round. Secondary coach Ron Miles also was his position coach in Carolina.
      This explains a lot. Que Beerman...
      sigpic

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Making room for Davis at CB?

Is Steve Williams a lock now?
        Last edited by blueman; 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Someone pass the gun. Goodbye world!

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Only have this can of Silly String for you. Cheers!

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
              This explains a lot. Que Beerman...
              [pedantic response]

I keep thinking you are asking what, as in "What Beerman?"

I have to assume, though, that you are trying to spell 'queue', which means 'line' if you mean it as a noun or 'to line up' if you mean it as a verb.

However, I suspect what you really intended, though, was to signal Beerman, or indicate that he is due for an appearance, in which case the word you wanted was 'cue'.

[/pedantic response]

Whatever happened to that awesome :que: smiley we used to have?
              Last edited by Panama; 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM.
              Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                No, I really hope they don't bring Sammy Davis back. Let the mistakes of the past stay in the past.

Of course, maybe you mean a certain UDFA who is bound for the PS? He ain't making the roster! And frankly, he hasn't been very good.
                Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  No, I really hope they don't bring Sammy Davis back. Let the mistakes of the past stay in the past.

Of course, maybe you mean a certain UDFA who is bound for the PS? He ain't making the roster! And frankly, he hasn't been very good.
                  The question is whether Chris Davis can be good in the future. He's worth a shot IMO, if only for his special teams ability. Can probably make for a solid gunner and punt return man. My only question is why haven't they tried him at kick returner? Much rather keep a guy like him around than scrubs like Sorenson.

If we are going to try to develop a position this year, it should be at CB. Wright, Flowers, and Gilchrist are all FA's following this season.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Christ Panama! You catch that...that....and you can't see how you made a contradiction in the other post?

I'm gonna need that gun when you're done Beerman :killme:
                    sigpic

Comment

• BoltFan84
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Is Steve Williams a lock now?
                      I'm not sure why they are so high on Williams. He really didn't look good in 49ers game, but I hope he reaches his potential. Chris Davis, on the other hand, has had pretty good preseason, and I like him better. I think Chargers should go deeper with number of DBs, considering our rival, and how they had trouble fielding 4 DBs at end of Denver playoff game.

Comment

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        Whatever happened to that awesome :que: smiley we used to have?
                        Fleet had to remove some of them, because they skewed the page when you'd go to browse for different emoticons. I have been adding them back at a dimension of 125 pixels or below, so as not to
                        make the emoticons page all jacked up. I have re-added it!

Comment

Working...
                        X