• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

In other words, the defense doesn’t revolve around Derwin anymore.

I’ll let everyone fill in the gaps from there as to what the hell happened with him last night. Maybe it was Jamrock that was thinking the same thing I am about this. I didn’t notice much of a falloff when he was out.
    What is this? Seems like the second one of our guys gets a big contract people start looking to trade/replace/or make it seem like they are not that important to the team, I don’t get it…

derwin is the heart and soul of the team, not just the defense…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

What is this? Seems like the second one of our guys gets a big contract people start looking to trade/replace/or make it seem like they are not that important to the team, I don’t get it…

I'm just saying Staley has noticeably changed the defense, and it doesn't appear to be revolving around Derwin anymore. Who coincidentally had some inexplicable mental lapses last night.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

J.J. Watt celebrates son in surprising retirement announcement: 'It’s been an absolute honor and a pleasure'

https://sports.yahoo.com/jj-watt-cel...162556823.html

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

If neither we nor Dallas are options this offseason I see Payton staying at FOX for another year. Could turn into a Bill Cowher situation where the right opportunity just never comes.

AZ might have a HC opening if Payton is willing to go there. Payton would probably trade Kyler Murray and get a QB to his liking. But I agree, if the right opportunity doesn’t open up, I can see him waiting another year.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
            J.J. Watt celebrates son in surprising retirement announcement: 'It’s been an absolute honor and a pleasure'

https://sports.yahoo.com/jj-watt-cel...162556823.html

He had a great game in that loss, so there was gas in the tank. Best wishes to a great player.

Comment

• SK21209
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2020
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Agreed. From what I understand, Staley ran a fairly complicated scheme most of the season, in part to move Derwin around and utilize his many talents. In the offseason he talked about giving Derwin weapons to work with like you would give to a QB. When Derwin went out, Staley simplified things for guys like Tranquill, Murray, Van Noy, etc. and they responded with their best stretches of the season. That doesn't detract from Derwin as a player at all. I'm interested to see how Staley reacts to having Derwin and Bosa back down the stretch. With Bosa in the fold, maybe we ask Derwin to rush the passer less and let him play a little more of a traditional safety role with these supporting guys excelling in their roles.

Comment

• Iowachargers1970
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

The Raiders are the only team projected to run the table in that scenario, yet their final two teams are 49ers and the Chiefs. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins are projected to go 0-6. That's alot to swallow.

It will be clearer after next Sunday and begin to sort itself out.
                Don't the Pats and Dolphins play this weekend? Somethings gotta give.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

AZ might have a HC opening if Payton is willing to go there. Payton would probably trade Kyler Murray and get a QB to his liking. But I agree, if the right opportunity doesn’t open up, I can see him waiting another year.
                  I agree with you. The decision for Payton with the Cardinals is does he see Murray as the right QB of the future. Granted, if they throw a bunch of cash at him - what does it matter. But if he doesn't think Murray is the right QB - he might just sit out another season.

Broncos are not in the picture per Allbright

The Chargers are not going to fire Staley

The Rams - if McVay takes a sabbatical

The Cowboys - if they lose to Tampa or the Panthers in the Wild card round - that could be interesting

Panthers - seems like he could pick his QB but the compensation for the Saints seems like it would be up there

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with you. The decision for Payton with the Cardinals is does he see Murray as the right QB of the future. Granted, if they throw a bunch of cash at him - what does it matter. But if he doesn't think Murray is the right QB - he might just sit out another season.

Broncos are not in the picture per Allbright

The Chargers are not going to fire Staley

The Rams - if McVay takes a sabbatical

The Cowboys - if they lose to Tampa or the Panthers in the Wild card round - that could be interesting

Panthers - seems like he could pick his QB but the compensation for the Saints seems like it would be up there
                    IF, the Chargers don't listen to Sean Payton after this season concludes, they are nuts. Now, that said, I'm willing to live in the moment of being in an actual playoff race and forego any chatter of the coming off-season, because this is enough fun....Taking it game by game, week by week, is highly satisfying right now.

Dak Prescott will struggle in the playoffs, as did Tony Romo. Dak just has no sense of urgency. Look at their combined playoff wins....horrifying.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Iowachargers1970 View Post

Don't the Pats and Dolphins play this weekend? Somethings gotta give.
                      Exactamundo.

Pats play the Dolphins and the Bills.

Jets play the Seahawks and the Dolphins.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

IF, the Chargers don't listen to Sean Payton after this season concludes, they are nuts. Now, that said, I'm willing to live in the moment of being in an actual playoff race and forego any chatter of the coming off-season, because this is enough fun....Taking it game by game, week by week, is highly satisfying right now.

Dak Prescott will struggle in the playoffs, as did Tony Romo. Dak just has no sense of urgency. Look at their combined playoff wins....horrifying.
                        There’s no upside to listening to Sean Payton after the season concludes, even if we’re going one and done. It would require too much capital to get him. And that’s not even the worst part. You can really splinter a locker room if you get someone, even Payton, to replace Staley after what just happened yesterday.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

There’s no upside to listening to Sean Payton after the season concludes, even if we’re going one and done. It would require too much capital to get him. And that’s not even the worst part. You can really splinter a locker room if you get someone, even Payton, to replace Staley after what just happened yesterday.
                          I wish someone would present this capital that landing Payton would require from the Saints in compensation. I asked, specifically, this exact question 'what would it cost' before and got NO ANSWERS.

Whatever it is, to land Sean Payton when he (reportedly) has focused on Arizona and LA Chargers as franchises he is interested in, I would gladly pay whatever this mysterious sum is. 1,000 times over.

Comment

Working...
                          X