• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Apparently the Packers need three things to happen before they are in the playoffs. HOW DOES IT FEEL, BUTTWIPE?

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The Broncos have no #1 OR #2 pick next spring, having traded both away in the Russell Wilson deal.
      I thought they got a 1st for the Bradley Chubb trade with the Dolphins?

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

They did. They own the #26th overall pick in the draft.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

They do. I should have said that they have no 1st rounder of their own.

They get a late 1st rounder for Chubb, but what kind of capital will it take to get a decent replacement for him?

The Broncos are fucked for a while.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Remind me of the circumstances that explain there being compensation due to the Saints for Payton signing to coach another NFL team? Did he leave the Saints mid-contract?

I'm guessing that any NFL team signing Mike McCoy to be a head coach would *not* owe the Chargers any compensation.

Baaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahhaahaha! <gasps for breath>

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It must have entered Staley's head that he, personally, is better off without Derwin, and running this style of defense.
              His reputation as a defensive coordinator was circling down the toilet drain a few weeks ago.

Having to placate Derwin, and gain the locker room might no longer be a necessary choice.

Remember when the Chargers won that playoff game in Indy, with Billy Volek leading the team on the game-winning drive after Philip Rivers left earlier in the game with a torn ACL?

Did anybody conclude that the Chargers, moving forward, would be better off with Volek at the helm?

No, they did not. And there's a reason for that.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Remember when the Chargers won that playoff game in Indy, with Billy Volek leading the team on the game-winning drive after Philip Rivers left earlier in the game with a torn ACL?

Did anybody conclude that the Chargers, moving forward, would be better off with Volek at the helm?

Because Derwin would be a terrible backup QB?

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Send PM

Remind me of the circumstances that explain there being compensation due to the Saints for Payton signing to coach another NFL team? Did he leave the Saints mid-contract?
                  Yes, he's still under contract as he "retired" and they own his rights for the contract duration. Theoretically, the Saints can ask for no or moderate compensation, such as one first round pick. If he doesn't want to be there, and taking into account his history with the franchise, I doubt they will forcibly retain him unless he wants to go to a division rival.

As it stands, the rumor was the Saints accepted a first round pick in principle from the Dolphins to attain Payton's services when Brady was rumored to go the Dolphins to partner with Payton, so it seems he can be had for less than most are thinking.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Some people just do not get "it". They hate having stars on the team, they hate having quality on the team because that would mean spending the Spanos money (which they falsely believe is theirs) they are much more concerned with winning the salary cap SB than real football games. Too many posters here just want to dump all the stars and get a team like in the movie "Major league" except those type of scenarios only work in Hollywood.

I cannot believe what kind of football foolishness would lend someone to believe we are better off long term without James, Bosa, ect...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Yes, he's still under contract as he "retired" and they own his rights for the contract duration. Theoretically, the Saints can ask for no or moderate compensation, such as one first round pick. If he doesn't want to be there, and taking into account his history with the franchise, I doubt they will forcibly retain him unless he wants to go to a division rival.

As it stands, the rumor was the Saints accepted a first round pick in principle from the Dolphins to attain Payton's services when Brady was rumored to go the Dolphins to partner with Payton, so it seems he can be had for less than most are thinking.
                      Then you have to pay him. He is out of Deans price range.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know when Payton's contract with the Saints "expires"?

My guess is, Payton is perfectly content to sit out until or unless an opportunity he considers "ideal" comes down the pike.

'Ideal' is a pretty high standard, and Denver certainly doesn't qualify.

I *get* that, for Payton, coaching the Chargers would check at least *most* of the boxes for satisfying his definition of 'ideal'.

That doesn't mean that the HC job with the Chargers is available though. And here's an angle that I haven't seen anyone bring up:

If the Chargers were to fire Staley, there would be an abrupt shift in culture. The implied message from management to the players would sound something like this--

"You know that whole 'Our Way' thing? It was bullshit. We asked you to believe it, and now we've changed our minds. We're moving on."

How do you think that vibe would sit with an entire roster of players?!?

Because it *wasn't* bullshit. Under Staley's leadership, the players unbelievably, inexplicably hung tough in ridiculously difficult circumstances and managed to accomplish the most important goal of the Regular Season-- To reach the post-season. He didn't accomplish that without building a culture of trust.

IMO, it would be a massive error to replace Brandon Staley, with Sean Payton or anybody else. You don't kick the kids' mom out of the house, and bring in a new woman to be mom the next week, and expect that the kids aren't going to be negatively impacted by it, in a big way.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know when Payton's contract with the Saints "expires"?

My guess is, Payton is perfectly content to sit out until or unless an opportunity he considers "ideal" comes down the pike.

'Ideal' is a pretty high standard, and Denver certainly doesn't qualify.

I *get* that, for Payton, coaching the Chargers would check at least *most* of the boxes for satisfying his definition of 'ideal'.

That doesn't mean that the HC job with the Chargers is available though. And here's an angle that I haven't seen anyone bring up:

If the Chargers were to fire Staley, there would be an abrupt shift in culture. The implied message from management to the players would sound something like this--

"You know that whole 'Our Way' thing? It was bullshit. We asked you to believe it, and now we've changed our minds. We're moving on."

How do you think that vibe would sit with an entire roster of players?!?

Because it *wasn't* bullshit. Under Staley's leadership, the players unbelievably, inexplicably hung tough in ridiculously difficult circumstances and managed to accomplish the most important goal of the Regular Season-- To reach the post-season. He didn't accomplish that without building a culture of trust.

IMO, it would be a massive error to replace Brandon Staley, with Sean Payton or anybody else. You don't kick the kids' mom out of the house, and bring in a new woman to be mom the next week, and expect that the kids aren't going to be negatively impacted by it, in a big way.

Agree, Staley has shown that he is developing into a really good coach (Lombo loyalty not withstanding). It would be a terrible mistake to fire him now and would cause a hell of a lot of damage tot he team.

Comment

Working...
                          X