• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

It was Veach who scouted and went for Mahomes. Reid gets way too much credit. And the division has been pathetic. It's easy to dominate when the other teams in it are bad. We have been their only competition, and ending their reign on the AFC West is a long time coming.

The one constant with the Chiefs - aside from ownership over the last 11 years is Andy Reid. Dorsey to Ballard to Veach. Coaches like Pederson, Nagy, Bieiniemy. Different DC's - Spagnuolo is the latest but I think Sutton was DC for a time. But the one constant is Andy Reid

The one constant on the Chargers, besides the Spanii is Tom Telesco - -three head coaches, various DCs and OCs - but Tom Telesco is going into his 11th year. So he gets much of the blame for the lack of success over the last ten years

I think you are understating his influence of the Kansas City Chiefs. You do make a good point the division he has played against has been subpar -but don't blame the Chiefs for kicking the other teams backsides. Blame the other teams for incompetence.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The one constant with the Chiefs - aside from ownership over the last 11 years is Andy Reid. Dorsey to Ballard to Veach. Coaches like Pederson, Nagy, Bieiniemy. Different DC's - Spagnuolo is the latest but I think Sutton was DC for a time. But the one constant is Andy Reid

The one constant on the Chargers, besides the Spanii is Tom Telesco - -three head coaches, various DCs and OCs - but Tom Telesco is going into his 11th year. So he gets much of the blame for the lack of success over the last ten years

I think you are understating his influence of the Kansas City Chiefs. You do make a good point the division he has played against has been subpar -but don't blame the Chiefs for kicking the other teams backsides. Blame the other teams for incompetence.
      I agree with this. Have for a long time. We saw last year when starters went down and backups came in, the team dropped off. Staley is blamed for not getting all of the backup scrubs to play like starters. Ok. I personally saw time and time again Staley had players in the right place and they couldnt make plays. Not every time, but enough times to make a huge difference.

Tom getting better than mediocre after 10 years is not a high hurdle and im not sure it’s enough. I do like this year’s picks, solid mature adult professional picks - perhaps DD is the wild impulse buy and will make or break it all.

Chiefs 2010’s run is very similar to the Chargers 2000’s run - being a good team in a really bad decision leads to epic divisional domination. They are beatable, they beat the Chargers on a fluke 100 yd pic6 and then just barely beat the crippled Charger team later in the year. We play like we can and we will win. No guarantees in this world of course, they will also show up to play.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree with this. Have for a long time. We saw last year when starters went down and backups came in, the team dropped off. Staley is blamed for not getting all of the backup scrubs to play like starters. Ok. I personally saw time and time again Staley had players in the right place and they couldnt make plays. Not every time, but enough times to make a huge difference.

Tom getting better than mediocre after 10 years is not a high hurdle and im not sure it’s enough. I do like this year’s picks, solid mature adult professional picks - perhaps DD is the wild impulse buy and will make or break it all.

Chiefs 2010’s run is very similar to the Chargers 2000’s run - being a good team in a really bad decision leads to epic divisional domination. They are beatable, they beat the Chargers on a fluke 100 yd pic6 and then just barely beat the crippled Charger team later in the year. We play like we can and we will win. No guarantees in this world of course, they will also show up to play.
        No more moral victories from the Chargers. Its either a W or an L against not only the Chiefs but the rest of the division. The Chargers were 2-4 last year. I get the last game didn't matter but even at that - they were 3-3

And you are correct - being mediocre after ten years is not good enough. I don't care about the schedule - win at least 12 games in the regular season and at least two playoff games - if not, Telesco should be fired.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

No more moral victories from the Chargers. Its either a W or an L against not only the Chiefs but the rest of the division. The Chargers were 2-4 last year. I get the last game didn't matter but even at that - they were 3-3

And you are correct - being mediocre after ten years is not good enough. I don't care about the schedule - win at least 12 games in the regular season and at least two playoff games - if not, Telesco should be fired.
          There are no immoral victories for beating teams we should beat. The Staley Chargers are 9-8, 10-7w/ WC- L . Continued progress is at least 50/50. and IMO as close to a lock as it gets.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

There are no immoral victories for beating teams we should beat. The Staley Chargers are 9-8, 10-7w/ WC- L . Continued progress is at least 50/50. and IMO as close to a lock as it gets.
            I’d argue we took a step back last year compared to the year before, largely due to injury. A game or two difference is not really improvement, too much luck involved over the course of a season, good and bad. And wow did we suck at the end, just horrible. I do think we all saw how good we can be, but (outside of that elusive luck) we are not putting it all together

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I’d argue we took a step back last year compared to the year before, largely due to injury. A game or two difference is not really improvement, too much luck involved over the course of a season, good and bad. And wow did we suck at the end, just horrible. I do think we all saw how good we can be, but (outside of that elusive luck) we are not putting it all together
              Last year, understanding injuries were a factor. But the Chargers were blown out twice by Seattle and the Jags
              They did play KC tough - both times

But I look at wins against Atlanta, Denver, Cleveland (after being down 14 zip early) and TN as though they were victories - they were one score games that took a bit of luck
              Ekeler fumbles an the DL running with the ball fumbles back
              York missed the FG in Cleveland after Staley went for it on 4th down at midfield
              Denver - it took a dropped punt

And the worst of all, TN against that QB, they barely squeaked by

So yes, there were good wins but also very close wins. Some of the latter wins need to turn into two score wins this coming season. This is where Kellen Moore comes in - lets hope he is the goods!

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Latest unsubstantiated rumor has Brady playing for the Raiders now that Jimmy G is damaged goods.

Tom Brady's insistent he's done playing football, but the NFL may be opening the door for him for a return with the Las Vegas Raiders. An NFL spokesperson…

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

bro, first you scolded me about future prediction that they are beatable, even though I called out two losses. then you threw in a moral V to get to 3-3. I need a level of consistency here to stay aligned ...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

bro, first you scolded me about future prediction that they are beatable, even though I called out two losses. then you threw in a moral V to get to 3-3. I need a level of consistency here to stay aligned ...
                    Did I really scold you? I think I was actually agreeing with you

I had to re-read it

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Did I really scold you? I think I was actually agreeing with you

I had to re-read it
                      ok, maybe not lol.

I don't fully agree with you ... 12 wins and 1 PO win, if the new guys are playing studs, i dont think i fire TT. I suffered to long thru his maturation to cut him loose now that he's finally starting to do the job. but if the team falls flat - sayonara Tom-san ...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

ok, maybe not lol.

I don't fully agree with you ... 12 wins and 1 PO win, if the new guys are playing studs, i dont think i fire TT. I suffered to long thru his maturation to cut him loose now that he's finally starting to do the job. but if the team falls flat - sayonara Tom-san ...
                        And if this team wins 12 games and wins one playoff game - he probablyu shouldn't be fired.... so my statement had a bit oh hyperbole as I truly do not think he is good at his job. But you state it correctly, he might be hitting his stride and 12 wins and winning in the playoffs would be darn good season

But no playoffs, its time for a change,. Even if Herbert gets hurt - -time to hit the road Tommy Boy

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                          Latest unsubstantiated rumor has Brady playing for the Raiders now that Jimmy G is damaged goods.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fl-vote-passes
                          Play behind a crap Oline on a team that won't sniff the playoffs next year: it's more likely that i will be the raiders starting qb next year.

When is that rumor coming out?

Comment

Working...
                          X