Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Donnie wasn't great either. Most of his tackles were made after they already had made a nice gain.
    He was a better pass defender than run defender, that is for sure. He led the Chargers in INTs for one or two seasons, very unusual for an LB. And yes, he was lacking as a run defender, but he was still better than Matt Wilhem. The thing is AJ was a bit thin-skinned, and one he got into a pissing match with Donnie, he was determined not to re-sign him, even if not re-signing him was a bad move for the team. And it was a bad move. AJ pinned his hopes on Wilhelm ably replacing Donnie, and he didn't come close. IMO, the decision not to re-sign Donnie and go with Wilhelm was the first step of many decisions AJ made that led to the dismantling of a defense that in 2006 was very good. AJ made decisions based on personality clashes, not sound football judgment.

Look at how the current management handled the Ekeler situation. Instead of getting bent out of shape over some of the things Ekeler said publicly, Telesco still worked with Austin to restructure his contract to bring Ekeler back into the fold. This is something AJ would not have done, IMO. His ego would not have allowed it.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Donnie was very unappreciated in these parts back then. I always disagreed with the predominant view, he was one of the better players on that defense yet took unfair blame for what often was cleaning up other players' misses 5 yards downfield and stopping huge plays. and a local legend, ex CV kid.

100% agree on your Whiffem call - that guy got a better contract just so AJ could try to paper over the sordid DE affair.
      Yeah, I was a big DE fan. I was really miffed when AJ let him walk, and I still view that as the first step AJ made toward dismantling that really good defense the Chargers had that peaked in 2006. DE led the team in INTs for two years in a row. So even if he wasn't the best run defender, he was a beast as a pass defender from the LB position.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, I was a big DE fan. I was really miffed when AJ let him walk, and I still view that as the first step AJ made toward dismantling that really good defense the Chargers had that peaked in 2006. DE led the team in INTs for two years in a row. So even if he wasn't the best run defender, he was a beast as a pass defender from the LB position.
        agree. Early AJ player acquisition approach he inherited from Butler was get the best players possible and "line em up 3 deep and compete". Once the team was the best roster in the west, maybe NFL, he turned into an egomaniac. Do Not Defy The Lord of No Rings! I think it started with his forcing out Marty but Donny was another milestone in his demise. The Gates cluster another. Rodney, Junior, and on. many of them. I remember him saying he didn't think even 3 draft picks could make the roster one year, he became so full of himself.

he sucked himself up into his mind (ego) like Ziggy Stardust.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Look at how the current management handled the Ekeler situation. Instead of getting bent out of shape over some of the things Ekeler said publicly, Telesco still worked with Austin to restructure his contract to bring Ekeler back into the fold. This is something AJ would not have done, IMO. His ego would not have allowed it.
          I fully agree. AJ would have done something spiteful and severed the ties to Ekeler. He truly was an egomaniac. Many thought AJ's early success was due to Butler. In hindsight, that may be right. Being good at being a GM includes being good at picking players year after year, in that respect TT is better than AJ was. He was entertaining though.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I fully agree. AJ would have done something spiteful and severed the ties to Ekeler. He truly was an egomaniac. Many thought AJ's early success was due to Butler. In hindsight, that may be right. Being good at being a GM includes being good at picking players year after year, in that respect TT is better than AJ was. He was entertaining though.
            He had decent drafts after Butler passed but none after Marty left.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Forrest Merrill cut by Seattle.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Was glad we got him from KC and he was great for us. People that complained about Donnie as a run stopper were the same people who complained about Gates’ blocking. They were both fine but it wasn’t where they shined. Donnie wasn’t Brian Urlacher against the run but he was solid enough and like you say excelled as a pass defender and ball hawk

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Was glad we got him from KC and he was great for us. People that complained about Donnie as a run stopper were the same people who complained about Gates’ blocking. They were both fine but it wasn’t where they shined. Donnie wasn’t Brian Urlacher against the run but he was solid enough and like you say excelled as a pass defender and ball hawk
                  Well said. Donnie was better at rush defense than Gates was at blocking, but Gates was HOF at receiving so … naw, Gates is still higher on the all time Charger list - a lot higher. Donnie had a lot of plays all over the place, he had a knack for the ball. Undersized for that era, not an Urlacher - but one of the best cover LBs I ever saw.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree. It was 2007, and Buster Davis in round 1 was an epic bust...though I also give a Dishonorable mention to our round 3 pick that year: Anthony Waters, a damaged goods bust...after that, it was:
                    2008: Round 1, Antoine Cason...BUST (Dishonorable mention: Round 3 Jacob Hester--gave up THREE picks for an AVERAGE running back)
                    2009: Round 1, Larry English...BUST (Dishonorable mentions: Gartrell Johnson, Kevin Ellison, Demetrius Byrd)
                    2011: Round 2, Jonas Mouton...BUST (Dishonorable mentions: Shareece Wright, Jordan Todman
                    2012: Round 3: Brandon Taylor...BUST and INJURY BUST (total tackles in NFL: 6) (Dishonorable mentions: Johnny Troutman, (drafted damaged goods injury bust) David Molk (too undersized) and Edwin Baker).

Yep...AJ kind of lost it in the last half of his career as GM...
                    Don't forget the LSU WR,.... Byrd who got in a bad car accident?...before the draft...... he used a 7th on him and was said would never play again. And he didn't.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He had decent drafts after Butler passed but none after Marty left.
                      Marty knew how to develop players. His postseason disappointments with three different teams (he didn't make it during his one season in Washington, although that was one fine coaching job with the mess Daniel Snyder gave him), but he helped most of his players reach their full potential.

It's still to be determined with Brandon Staley, but we haven't had a real head coach since Marty was fired.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

I remember Wood and I were really high on the USC OC who also busted, forgetting his name. (Appropriately)

I was also hopeful about the Notre Dame OC
                        again, names escape.
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree. It was 2007, and Buster Davis in round 1 was an epic bust...though I also give a Dishonorable mention to our round 3 pick that year: Anthony Waters, a damaged goods bust...after that, it was:
                          2008: Round 1, Antoine Cason...BUST (Dishonorable mention: Round 3 Jacob Hester--gave up THREE picks for an AVERAGE running back)
                          2009: Round 1, Larry English...BUST (Dishonorable mentions: Gartrell Johnson, Kevin Ellison, Demetrius Byrd)
                          2011: Round 2, Jonas Mouton...BUST (Dishonorable mentions: Shareece Wright, Jordan Todman
                          2012: Round 3: Brandon Taylor...BUST and INJURY BUST (total tackles in NFL: 6) (Dishonorable mentions: Johnny Troutman, (drafted damaged goods injury bust) David Molk (too undersized) and Edwin Baker).

Yep...AJ kind of lost it in the last half of his career as GM...
                          His biggest mistake was his role in hiring Norv Turner.

I remember listening to a radio interview with Kevin Acee. He said nearly everyone in the draft room wanted to draft linebacker David Harris in the first round in 2007, but Norv pushed hard for Buster Davis. Harris had a few good years with the Jets. We all know what Davis turned into. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other instances like that when Norv was head coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he told A.J. he could turn Jacob Hester into the next Daryl "Moose" Johnston.

Comment

Working...
                          X