Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    It seems like most posters don't take into account IDL play
    Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    and seem to assume that they have no impact on pass rush.
    On the contrary, no IDL, no pass rush. All the free blockers take on the edge rush. We signed a vet there. Go wonder, huh?
    Because we don't expect the bulk of our pass rush to be from inside - that's not where the $$$'s have been spent.

2022 sacks (16th in the league):

IDL - 11.5
    LB's & DB's - 11
    DE's - 17.5

IDL sacks are supplemental (unless you have an Aaron Donald), and as you point out are generally created by the offense's need to double the ends. you can expect around 50% of the total team sacks to be produced by the edge rushers. If those guys don't produce (for whatever reason) you're not going to get enough pressure, and you're secondary's going to have a bad day.

IF Mack and / or Bosa miss time their replacements (as the roster is currently constructed) will not require doubles, which leaves a mismatch in the favor of the offense on the inside. Good luck with that (and we DON'T have an Aaron Donald to compensate) . . . . . . . . even an average QB will carve us up.

There's a reason why the edge rush position is considered a premium position, and is paid as such . . . . .

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
      [B]

Because we don't expect the bulk of our pass rush to be from inside - that's not where the $$$'s have been spent.

IDL - 11.5
      LB's & DB's - 11
      DE's - 17.5

IDL sacks are supplemental (unless you have an Aaron Donald), and as you point out are generally created by the offense's need to double the ends. you can expect around 50% of the total team sacks to be produced by the edge rushers. If those guys don't produce (for whatever reason) you're not going to get enough pressure, and you're secondary's going to have a bad day.

IF Mack and / or Bosa miss time their replacements (as the roster is currently constructed) will not require doubles, which leaves a mismatch in the favor of the offense on the inside. Good luck with that (and we DON'T have an Aaron Donald to compensate) . . . . . . . . even an average QB will carve us up.

There's a reason why the edge rush position is considered a premium position, and is paid as such . . . . .
      Good edge rushers are easier to find. Getting pass rush from the interior is every bit as crucial as getting them from the edge. Just relying on edge rushers isn't enough, you need the IDL pass rush too. This has been proven with this team time and time again.

There are other good pass rushers on the inside besides guys like Aaron Donald and Chris Jones. This is something people overlook.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

​

Last edited by MagicMamba88; 06-08-2023, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post

​

That would be the missing piece, IMO.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

That would be the missing piece, IMO.
            I am not sure he would be the missing piece but if Spiller is looking not so good - maybe you give Cook a call.

That said, still think its Edge, OL (anybody really trust Jaimes, Clapp and Sarell), CB/S and even TE - - -all over RB.

If Telesco has the "onions" to do it -- good for him. It would be somewhat exciting but not rational. But if he sticks to the other more "boring" positions - fine by me

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

I've seen Cook mostly tied to the Dolphins, who apparently really want him (but not enough trade for him and take on his salary). I have to admit, I think he would be a great addition to the Chargers' offense. Some are expecting Spiller to take a huge leap forward. Great if he does. I'll be as happy as anybody. But I'd still feel better about the offense with Cook. He would complete the unit, make the weakest link a strength.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                I've seen Cook mostly tied to the Dolphins, who apparently really want him (but not enough trade for him and take on his salary). I have to admit, I think he would be a great addition to the Chargers' offense. Some are expecting Spiller to take a huge leap forward. Great if he does. I'll be as happy as anybody. But I'd still feel better about the offense with Cook. He would complete the unit, make the weakest link a strength.
                Schefter reported the Broncos and Dolphins - as two teams interested in Cook

I don't see the Chargers interested in Cook as they are going to see what they have in Spiller/Kelley - which is fine - just have to hope OL, Moore and the improvement of Spiller - will improve the running game.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Schefter reported the Broncos and Dolphins - as two teams interested in Cook

I don't see the Chargers interested in Cook as they are going to see what they have in Spiller/Kelley - which is fine - just have to hope OL, Moore and the improvement of Spiller - will improve the running game.
                  I'd really like to see Spiller become a guy who can get 10-15 carries per game and average 4.5 yds per.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                    [B]

IDL - 11.5
                    LB's & DB's - 11
                    DE's - 17.5

IDL sack #s aren't the point. They're good to have but consistent QB pressure by IDL on pass plays is key. When you have it, the IOL is busy and can't help block edge rushers and supplemental blockers ie: TE, RB, FB have to make choices. The edge rush and IDL QB pressure are two key components of pass D. Neither one without the other is as effective as they can be.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I don't know who, but I think there must be someone that's more of a threat than Rumph. Whoever he is - sign 'em up!
                      Yep...in 2 years, Rumph's stats are not exactly stellar:

image.png​
                      The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

image.png​
                        https://www.nfl.com/players/chris-rumph-ii/stats/career
                        Clearly not our primary edge rusher. He needs to improve to stay ahead of the FBS sack leading rookie, Tuli.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

image.png​
                          https://www.nfl.com/players/chris-rumph-ii/stats/career
                          Popper has written a couple times how Rumph seems to be the 4th Edge and a Special Teams player

Tuli and Rumph need a lot of reps in OTAs and Training Camp - need to see what they have as if not, dial it up Tommy

Comment

Working...
                          X