• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Kicking the proverbial can down the road can come back to bite you in the ass in 2024 or 2025.
    Cats out of the bag on that. If the Chargers had signed Floyd and kicked a couple million (no more) to 2024 - I think the signing wouldn't ahve caused cap issues for the team in the future based on moves already made

And actually looking at the Chargers cap - they probably could have signed Floyd without any future cap machinations.
    Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 06-12-2023, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Rumph may be fine as a #4 edge. But that only works with no injuries. It wasn't fine last year

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I would take 6 sacks from a number 4 type of guy. I would also like to see him throw in 3 or 4 forced fumbles and double digit TFL's for good measure.
        Lets try him at TE too
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SK21209
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2020
          • San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Steelers will hang around as they always seem too
          I can see the Jets and Browns taking a leap forward
          Maybe even the Broncos as well
          AFC South - agreed that only one team probably makes the playoffs from that division
          The AFC in general is just absurd. Meanwhile, the Saints are probably going to win like 12 games next year because their schedule and division are complete jokes (seriously, go look at it) while teams like the Seahawks or Lions will probably cruise to wild card slots because there aren't 7 good teams in the NFC.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Buffalo did creative accounting with Floyd to limit his cap number this year.

Chargers could have done the same if they so choose to limit the impact in 2023 cap.
            How did signing Callahan/Van Noy to 1 year contracts affect their cap situation this year?
            It didn't.

Again, they want to go with their younger players (Tuli, Rumph, JaSir), and that can't happen signing vets.
            They'd be sitting on the bench during games too often.

Didn't seem to help Nwosu.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

The AFC in general is just absurd. Meanwhile, the Saints are probably going to win like 12 games next year because their schedule and division are complete jokes (seriously, go look at it) while teams like the Seahawks or Lions will probably cruise to wild card slots because there aren't 7 good teams in the NFC.
              Detroit is probably winning the division

Packers - unless Love is better than expected probably take a step back
              Chicago is still building
              The Vikings are rebuilding and even if they brought everybody back last year - too many wins that would revert them back to normal this year

Good point about the Saints - they are a 9 win team on paper that might get to 11 because of schedule

Comment

• SK21209
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2020
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Detroit is probably winning the division

Packers - unless Love is better than expected probably take a step back
                Chicago is still building
                The Vikings are rebuilding and even if they brought everybody back last year - too many wins that would revert them back to normal this year

Good point about the Saints - they are a 9 win team on paper that might get to 11 because of schedule
                I like Detroit so I hope they win the division, but I just can't get there with Goff. He was good last year but I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors from Ben Johnson. The Vikings probably have more talent this year than last year but yeah, they were absurdly lucky in close games. They're probably a .500 team.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

I'm wary of the Detroit hype.
                  I won't judge because I haven't actually seen them play but we see it all the time where a new HC breathes new life into a franchise just to end up getting canned 3 years later.
                  I like their personnel, but I don't imagine they will maintain competitivness in the Xs and Os department.
                  They could have easily caught many teams by surprise, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a step back, Goff will still find a way to Goff-around. He's rumored to lack discipline, motivation can only get you so far, you gotta grind at the QB position every damn day. I don't see a huge Geno Smith-like change for him.
                  BTW, does anyone else think Rivers had a big part in Geno suddenly upping his professional game?
                  sitting behind 17 can do wonders for someone who is late to mature.

PS. with all the above said, based on what I'm reading about the division, I agree that Detroit is likely to win their bad division this year, but long term, I say it's Chicago.
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

I like Detroit so I hope they win the division, but I just can't get there with Goff. He was good last year but I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors from Ben Johnson. The Vikings probably have more talent this year than last year but yeah, they were absurdly lucky in close games. They're probably a .500 team.

1 2 3 Jinx!!
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

How did signing Callahan/Van Noy to 1 year contracts affect their cap situation this year?
                      It didn't.

Again, they want to go with their younger players (Tuli, Rumph, JaSir), and that can't happen signing vets.
                      They'd be sitting on the bench during games too often.

Didn't seem to help Nwosu.
                      Sure it can. Tuli Rumph and Taylor would only be sitting on the bench if they didn't beat out the veteran. Nobody is gift wrapping the 3rd slot on the depth chart to either Floyd or Clark just because they signed. The chargers would be signing a veteran for insurance in case of injury or the lack of growth by the younger player

Now maybe you liked seeing Michael Bandy or the edge player Tuschka , whatever his name, last year. I think Telesco whiffed - just hoping he doesn't whiff again.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Lets try him at TE too
                        LOL...why not? When we drafted Rumph, they DID say he's a "swiss knife"...

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Sure it can. Tuli Rumph and Taylor would only be sitting on the bench if they didn't beat out the veteran. Nobody is gift wrapping the 3rd slot on the depth chart to either Floyd or Clark just because they signed. The chargers would be signing a veteran for insurance in case of injury or the lack of growth by the younger player

Now maybe you liked seeing Michael Bandy or the edge player Tuschka , whatever his name, last year. I think Telesco whiffed - just hoping he doesn't whiff again.
                          That's the point. I would like see them improve by being given snaps in rotation to relieve vets who are better today. Increasing the number of vets won't help that situation. The new vets get the rotation snaps or we're paying them to back up the backups that we want to develop into starters. The UDFAs can handle that.
                          ps: Surely you aren't comparing Bandy to QJ or Tuszka to Tuli?

Comment

Working...
                          X