• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    Chip Kelly says college football should just follow the nfl and have 1 conference with divisions in the South, North, Midwest and West. Maybe broken up into 2 conferences. Obviously you can’t have a workable PAC 12 with only 4 teams. Or a workable Big 10, now 18.
    May come to that. Its getting ridiculous now.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Money usually ruins things. Greed is a evil thing.
      SMU and the 'Death Penalty'. Remember that? Ongoing, unrepentant violations by rich boosters, providing cash and cars to various players and/or family members. Confronted numerous times and ordered to stop. Wouldn't comply!

I believe it was at least 2 years that SMU lost their football program as a result.

The Chargers' O-lineman David Richards was in the SMU program at the time of the Death Penalty, and he transferred to UCLA, which is where the Chargers drafted him from, in the 4th round of the '88 draft.

Flashback: SMU football receives 'death penalty' (Feb. 25, 1987) (dallasnews.com)

Citing penalties intended to "eliminate a program that was built on a legacy of wrongdoing, deceit and rule violations," the NCAA Committee on Infractions for the first time barred a school from playing football for an entire season. The committee stopped short of delivering the full "death penalty," under which a program can be disbanded for as long as two seasons if found guilty of major violations twice in five years.

In addition to a ban on games, practice and scholarships for the 1987-88 academic year, the National Collegiate Athletic Association restricted SMU to seven games in 1988 – none of which may be considered a "home" game – and limited its scholarships, coaching positions and television and post-season appearances through the length of the probation, which expires Sept. 1, 1990.

Harshest penalty in American sports EVER.
      ​​

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Call me a purest or old fashioned or whatever the word might be.....but all these west coast teams going to the Big 12 just isn't right. AZ st also sucks.
        I agree. The four teams left behind in the former Pac 10 will have a much harder time recruiting now and they will go downhill fast. How long will it take for the USC vs. Michigan game to become a big draw?

I think the greed is doing in college football.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          There are tremendous rivalries in the Big10. Are you being facetious? Or do you mean the new entries don’t have rivalries with the “classic” Big10 teams? And Michigan, OSU, Penn State do not play second rate football.

TG
          Haters gonna hate. I do hate it, only cuz we’re pulling the short end of a stick dipped in brown stink.

but for the fortunates - games will be tremendous. Big10 power vs Pac12 power have always been big games, Mich vs USC, OSU vs Oregon, etc - those were marquee games. the games won’t get smaller now they are in the same conf.

I knew Big12 would bypass SDSU and grab both AZ schools, Utah and CO. Been the rumor for months. They are sticking more to a Soutwest-ish regional main footprint. I Hoped against hope they’d covet a SoCal satellite - splat. USC and UCLA blocked SDSU out of Pac12 for 5 decades to prevent a SoCal market and local recruiting competitor - now they are gone and its too late for SDSU Pac12.

I wonder if Stanford will go solo like Norte Dame - bilateral arrangements with other conferences that are sport-specific. I see WSU, OSU joining MWC, natural fit. Not sure on Cal - they will feel like a big fail to drop to MWC.

There was talk awhile back on an ACC/MWC national alignment - I doubt that, ACC has other partner options a lot closer than MWC teams that are not much different
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

May come to that. It’s getting ridiculous now.
            I don’t know what Chip is even proposing - there’s 133 D1 teams.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Why watch 2nd rate football with neither traditions, nor rivalries?
              Because it’s 1st rate football with many bowl game type atmospheres every week. The networks aren’t investing all this money without a plan to market the hell out of it. What else do the networks have to offer? The network shows generally stink and everything else is reality TV.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Chip Kelly says college football should just follow the nfl and have 1 conference with divisions in the South, North, Midwest and West. Maybe broken up into 2 conferences. Obviously you can’t have a workable PAC 12 with only 4 teams. Or a workable Big 10, now 18.
                18 teams work. You have 17 opponents. You play 9 one year and 8 the next. You have home and home series. Every 4 years you get to play each team once at home and once on the road. Then you can add traditional rivalry games on top. Add in Norte Dame and you have 9 and 9. It’s very workable.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Forrest Merrill has signed with the Broncos.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

SMU and the 'Death Penalty'. Remember that? Ongoing, unrepentant violations by rich boosters, providing cash and cars to various players and/or family members. Confronted numerous times and ordered to stop. Wouldn't comply!

I believe it was at least 2 years that SMU lost their football program as a result.

The Chargers' O-lineman David Richards was in the SMU program at the time of the Death Penalty, and he transferred to UCLA, which is where the Chargers drafted him from, in the 4th round of the '88 draft.

Flashback: SMU football receives 'death penalty' (Feb. 25, 1987) (dallasnews.com)

Harshest penalty in American sports EVER.
                    ​​
                    David Richard was Parade Magazine's National High School Player of the Year in 1983. I believe that was the only time an OL got that award. He was that good in high school. But he was just a guy as a pro. Funny how things work out.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

18 teams work. You have 17 opponents. You play 9 one year and 8 the next. You have home and home series. Every 4 years you get to play each team once at home and once on the road. Then you can add traditional rivalry games on top. Add in Norte Dame and you have 9 and 9. It’s very workable.
                      So Michigan and Ohio State play each other every other year? Sc and UCLA play every other year?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

So Michigan and Ohio State play each other every other year? Sc and UCLA play every other year?
                        If it's for a division or conference chapionship, they will fave each other likely every year. That's Michigan and Ohio st anyways. UCLA - USC not so much.

But really who cares....they are screwing things up, not us. Things are going to get worse.

It doesn't matter to me who wins what really, I just want to see the players.
                        I don't have a favorite college team.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-05-2023, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know what Chip is even proposing - there’s 133 D1 teams.
                          Why stop at 18? Might as well move the rest of the teams over to the new "Big 133 Conference."

Comment

Working...
                          X