Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Same here. Ben Johnson took Staley D to school. Imagine him having Herbert. That’ll be fun
    I've had enough fun (LT, Brees, Rivers)
    Boring ol' Championships please.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Same here. Ben Johnson took Staley D to school. Imagine him having Herbert. That’ll be fun
      But isn't that exactly the offensive equivilent of hiring Staley? Sure it's 2 years vs 1, but 2 years is not that much experience.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

But isn't that exactly the offensive equivilent of hiring Staley? Sure it's 2 years vs 1, but 2 years is not that much experience.
        Yep...that's my concern...only two years as OC...looks promising, but I'd rather have someone with some real HC experience as a winner, whether college CFL or NFL...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

DEN. PHI. JVILLE. BUF.

The NFL is a rollercoaster ride.

Some say the Chargers are far off.

Could be, but we might be back in contention sooner than expected.

Lots of work to do.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It’s not the same. Ben Johnson has been coaching in the NFL for 12 years and didn’t ride the coats tails of any players. He’s had helped bring Goff back to life the last 2 years. Where as Staley rode the coat tails of Ramsey and Donald on his D and had only been in the NFL for 4 years before getting a HC gig. I’m not advocating for Ben Johnson, I’m just disagreeing that it’s the same.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Rams are 7-7 in a rebuilding year and in the nfc playoffs as of now. While the rams were supposed to be rebuilding the Chargers were supposed to be contending. What a switch. People are talking about how surreal a Rams Lions playoff would be for Stafford and Goff

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Have to vent and I figured to do it here. That damn TD they called incomplete to Ridley kicked me out of my fantasy football playoffs. I lost by 1.5 pts. The officials have been horrible this year and now they have potentially lost me money.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  Rams are 7-7 in a rebuilding year and in the nfc playoffs as of now. While the rams were supposed to be rebuilding the Chargers were supposed to be contending. What a switch. People are talking about how surreal a Rams Lions playoff would be for Stafford and Goff
                  McVay is genius level.
                  He does wizardry with personnel.

PFF was talking about upcoming free agents.
                  It seems that LAR revamped their blocking scheme from Outside Zone to Gap. SM deftly acquired Kevin Dotson on a one tear contract to reset it perfectly, when the cupboard was thought bare.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

McVay is genius level.
                    He does wizardry with personnel.

PFF was talking about upcoming free agents.
                    It seems that LAR revamped their blocking scheme from Outside Zone to Gap. SM deftly acquired Kevin Dotson on a one tear contract to reset it perfectly, when the cupboard was thought bare.
                    Doesn’t hurt that they hit on a 5th round WR pick that has 1100 receiving g yards and an RB from Notre Dame, also in the 5th a year or two ago, who is having a great season.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

It’s not the same. Ben Johnson has been coaching in the NFL for 12 years and didn’t ride the coats tails of any players. He’s had helped bring Goff back to life the last 2 years. Where as Staley rode the coat tails of Ramsey and Donald on his D and had only been in the NFL for 4 years before getting a HC gig. I’m not advocating for Ben Johnson, I’m just disagreeing that it’s the same.
                      I think that is splitting hairs. If it is a lack of experience, it's a lack of experience.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

You are correct on the broncos. Sean Payton seems to have crazy old man / grumpy old man syndrome. at least BB is holding himself together in NE.

David Shaw seems like a respectable coach, but we need someone who has done it in the NFL. after Harbaugh and BB, i would take one of the hot shot OC's before Shaw. the OC in Detroit beat the shit out of the broncos defense.
                        As always we jump guns around here. It was too quick to conclude he completely failed after the first half dozen, its also too soon to confirm he’s the messiah given their second half strong stretch, which setting aside Detroit included a decisive win the week before v Chiefs.

But I’ll drop this - He’s gotten a lot more from a marginal roster than Staley did, that is absolutely certain. Russ Wilson still is the crap QB he was last year, hes still generating under 200 yards per game and almost as many fuckups as TDs. Yet Payton has gotten above .500 with him.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• northerner
                          Charger fan since '79
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

As always we jump guns around here. It was too quick to conclude he completely failed after the first half dozen, its also too soon to confirm he’s the messiah given their second half strong stretch, which setting aside Detroit included a decisive win the week before v Chiefs.

But I’ll drop this - He’s gotten a lot more from a marginal roster than Staley did, that is absolutely certain. Russ Wilson still is the crap QB he was last year, hes still generating under 200 yards per game and almost as many fuckups as TDs. Yet Payton has gotten above .500 with him.
                          Payton is still one of the better coaches in the league and would have done better with the Chargers than Staley did, but calling out the former coach earlier this season and his new "hot head" mentality are both a little strange. although, it makes you wonder if russel wilson has issues - the seahawks dumped him and now Payton is losing his patience.

Comment

Working...
                          X