• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Meanwhile Spanos gets a brand-new stadium for almost nothing.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet
    Saw this also on NBC sports. Three front office execs all just resigned. And one had been there 30 years. Appears to be related to the new stadium and is being investigated….
    If the NFL punishes them by taking away draft picks, given Mayock and Gruden’s record in the draft is that really a punishment?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      If the NFL punishes them by taking away draft picks, given Mayock and Gruden’s record in the draft is that really a punishment?
      Oh snap!

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Saw this also on NBC sports. Three front office execs all just resigned. And one had been there 30 years. Appears to be related to the new stadium and is being investigated….

TG
        Come on, the owners are rich. Their lives are all about finding ways to not pay taxes. They're probably asking for tips.
        Last edited by Formula 21; 08-20-2021, 04:44 PM.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Fernando Ramirez @RealFRamirez5h
          #Chargers head coach Brandon Staley says QB Easton Stick will start on Sunday against the 49ers.

You Stick fans will get a better look at him this week and we'll see if he's better than Daniels.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

As a Justin Fields supporter, I found this interesting. I thought he should have gone top 3.

Details Emerge On Why Justin Fields Really Slipped Past Denver

By
            Erik Lambert-

Aug 20, 20213365

Justin Fields is well on his way to establishing himself as a promising young quarterback in the NFL. The talent is so obvious every time he steps on the field. It isn’t hard to understand why the Chicago Bears are excited about him. What many experts still can’t figure out is how he ended up there in the first place. How did a kid with that kind of obvious potential coming from a top program at Ohio State not go in the top 10?

While a number of teams had the motivation to consider him that high, none stood out more than the Denver Broncos. They’d been bedeviled by quarterback problems ever since Peyton Manning retired. Drew Lock has not looked great the past two years and their trade for Teddy Bridgewater didn’t lead many to think the problem was solved. When new GM George Paton had Fields fall right into his lap on draft night at #9 overall?

He chose Alabama cornerback Patrick Surtain II instead.

When asked about it in subsequent weeks, the Broncos danced around the question. They just felt more comfortable with Surtain. They didn’t want to take the risk on a quarterback. Smart money says though that details would come out sooner or later. Sure enough, they came courtesy of NFL insider Charles Robinson. He and fellow Yahoo expert Eric Edholm spoke about the situation and some newfound insight was shared.
            “When I went through Denver, I had a chance to have a really long conversation with someone about Fields. And I said why? What was the reason? Why did you pass on this guy? And he said, ‘Look, it wasn’t the talent.’ He said, ‘We really liked the talent a lot.’ He was like, ‘It was the medical.’
            And he just said, look, the epilepsy. The concern about it was, when they kind of got down to the root of it, I said, it was controlled at Ohio State. They said, yes, but the concern is the amount of risk that is there the day you draft him versus what’s there 10 years down the line is the same. It never dissipates. He’s like, there’s no way to change what the element of risk is.”
            Information emerged about Fields’ epilepsy prior to the draft. He never tried to hide it. The condition is one he’s dealt with since childhood. During that time there is no recorded instance of him suffering an epileptic episode in games or even during practice. This was made clear throughout the process. Yet this revelation from Denver suggests a lot of teams weren’t willing to take the risk. Chicago was.

Justin Fields is hardly the first NFL player with this condition

Hall of Fame Pittsburgh Steelers guard Alan Faneca had it and he played a much more physical position than quarterback. So did New York Giants star running back Tiki Barber. If they can get through a full NFL career without any episodes, why can’t Fields? Experts who have spoken on the subject indicated that as long as he takes his medication as instructed and avoids other potential causes like sleep deprivation? He should be just fine.

In fact, studies have shown no discernable increased risk for somebody in a contact sport. There is a real possibility that symptoms of Justin Fields’ condition will ease and even disappear as he gets older. It feels like epilepsy was such a buzzword it immediately invoked the worst images for many teams. There is no doubt the condition can be scary. However, all signs point to the quarterback never having let it impact his career.
            In a weird way, that fear enabled the Bears to land their guy.

It’s fair to wonder if Fields would’ve fallen had the epilepsy thing not been a factor. Probably not. This goes to show how crazy the draft process can get. Every little thing is factored in. Especially with quarterbacks. If it’s not perfect in the minds of the guy making the final decision? Then he isn’t going to pull the trigger. That is what happened with the Broncos.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              As a Justin Fields supporter, I found this interesting. I thought he should have gone top 3.

By
              Erik Lambert-

Aug 20, 20213365

Justin Fields is well on his way to establishing himself as a promising young quarterback in the NFL. The talent is so obvious every time he steps on the field. It isn’t hard to understand why the Chicago Bears are excited about him. What many experts still can’t figure out is how he ended up there in the first place. How did a kid with that kind of obvious potential coming from a top program at Ohio State not go in the top 10?

While a number of teams had the motivation to consider him that high, none stood out more than the Denver Broncos. They’d been bedeviled by quarterback problems ever since Peyton Manning retired. Drew Lock has not looked great the past two years and their trade for Teddy Bridgewater didn’t lead many to think the problem was solved. When new GM George Paton had Fields fall right into his lap on draft night at #9 overall?

When asked about it in subsequent weeks, the Broncos danced around the question. They just felt more comfortable with Surtain. They didn’t want to take the risk on a quarterback. Smart money says though that details would come out sooner or later. Sure enough, they came courtesy of NFL insider Charles Robinson. He and fellow Yahoo expert Eric Edholm spoke about the situation and some newfound insight was shared.
              “When I went through Denver, I had a chance to have a really long conversation with someone about Fields. And I said why? What was the reason? Why did you pass on this guy? And he said, ‘Look, it wasn’t the talent.’ He said, ‘We really liked the talent a lot.’ He was like, ‘It was the medical.’
              And he just said, look, the epilepsy. The concern about it was, when they kind of got down to the root of it, I said, it was controlled at Ohio State. They said, yes, but the concern is the amount of risk that is there the day you draft him versus what’s there 10 years down the line is the same. It never dissipates. He’s like, there’s no way to change what the element of risk is.”
              Information emerged about Fields’ epilepsy prior to the draft. He never tried to hide it. The condition is one he’s dealt with since childhood. During that time there is no recorded instance of him suffering an epileptic episode in games or even during practice. This was made clear throughout the process. Yet this revelation from Denver suggests a lot of teams weren’t willing to take the risk. Chicago was.

Hall of Fame Pittsburgh Steelers guard Alan Faneca had it and he played a much more physical position than quarterback. So did New York Giants star running back Tiki Barber. If they can get through a full NFL career without any episodes, why can’t Fields? Experts who have spoken on the subject indicated that as long as he takes his medication as instructed and avoids other potential causes like sleep deprivation? He should be just fine.

In fact, studies have shown no discernable increased risk for somebody in a contact sport. There is a real possibility that symptoms of Justin Fields’ condition will ease and even disappear as he gets older. It feels like epilepsy was such a buzzword it immediately invoked the worst images for many teams. There is no doubt the condition can be scary. However, all signs point to the quarterback never having let it impact his career.

It’s fair to wonder if Fields would’ve fallen had the epilepsy thing not been a factor. Probably not. This goes to show how crazy the draft process can get. Every little thing is factored in. Especially with quarterbacks. If it’s not perfect in the minds of the guy making the final decision? Then he isn’t going to pull the trigger. That is what happened with the Broncos.

I'm sure glad they went with Surtain instead of Fields. That defense with an upcoming young QB?, no thanks!

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I'm sure glad they went with Surtain instead of Fields. That defense with an upcoming young QB?, no thanks!
                Surtain is incredible though. He’s gonna be a top 5 CB real soon.
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Berserker76
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Surtain is incredible though. He’s gonna be a top 5 CB real soon.
                  Very true, it's a lesser of two evils kind of situation there.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Erik Lambert-

Aug 20, 20213365

It will be interesting to see if Horseface kicks himself in a year or two for passing on Fields...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

By
                      Erik Lambert-

Aug 20, 20213365

I mentioned this months ago. I think it was before the draft I mentioned the epilepsy was why he was falling..

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

I’m pulling for Fields to become this years Pepsi, NFL Rookie of the year, following Herbert.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          I’m pulling for Fields to become this years Pepsi, NFL Rookie of the year, following Herbert.
                          Yep...after Fields wins that award, send a case of Pepsi over to Horseface, so he can drown his sorrows...

Comment

Working...
                          X