• Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

If they keep this up, we’ll see Chucky back in the booth in no time
    From your keyboard to God's ears, brother!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Seems like at 'Bama, the overall high level of talent across the roster overwhelms lesser opponents, and the guys that look GREAT are sometimes actually only "good".

Once they arrive in the NFL, they don't have the surrounding talent to allow them to dominate.

Can't feel bad for the Raiders, tho...
      It is kind of odd, given their recruiting supremacy as the Goliath of NCAA football, the wealth of talent between Texas and Florida, and their ability to attract top recruits from corner to corner of this great land, that they consistently spit out shitty OTs that are always overdrafted and then underperform. A bit like their QB record, though i would expect them to be an OT factory. Except I’ve seen their history.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

If they keep this up, we’ll see Chucky back in the booth in no time
        Actually, if Chucky keeps on throwing a monkey wrench into the Raiders periodically, I'd kind of like to keep him right where he is...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Raiders RT Alex Leatherwood named one of the most ‘disappointing rookies’ in preseason

Marcus Mosher
          Wed, August 18, 2021, 8:26 AM

One of the reasons why the Raiders took Alex Leatherwood in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft was that they deemed him “NFL-ready”. They believe that he is a plug-and-play starter after several seasons of playing left tackle in the SEC.
          However, we know that even the transition from the SEC to the NFL can be a big one for even the best prospects. That’s why it wasn’t surprising to see Leatherwood struggle some in his first NFL outing last week.
          In a recent article by Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus, he took a look at a few high-profile picks who disappointed in Week 1 of the preseason. Leatherwood did show up on the list after allowing a few pressures. Here is what the site had to say about the former Alabama tackle against Seattle.
          “With an offensive line in the midst of an overhaul, Las Vegas really needs Leatherwood to pan out and hit the ground running. He may yet, but his debut showed there was still some work to do. He was fine against the Seahawks when actually blocking the right guy, but he gave up a pair of pressures on plays where he failed to read the correct rusher and allowed them a path to the quarterback.
          Leatherwood was stood up a couple of times in the run game, but those are mistakes you can live with. Not being on the same page as the rest of the line and letting free defenders get at the quarterback is something you can’t. It’s only his first game action, but Leatherwood needs to clean that up before the regular season.”

While Monson was a bit critical of his performance, Leatherwood hasn’t done anything to suggest he won’t be the team’s Week 1 starter at right tackle. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Despite a shaky preseason performance, the Raiders are still very high on their right tackle and his long-term future with the team.
          Maybe Leatherwood turns into Robert Gallery 2.0...another highly touted 1st rounder drafted by the Raiders who epic failed at OT and was kicked inside to G where he led the team in penalties and was barely serviceable...

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I’m just happy we got apparently 2 quality guys in the annual OL lottery.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Willis (Browns) had a great rookie year and looks like a stud OT. So its not like all Bama linemen suck. And Leatherwood sounds like he had a bad game with the mental part. If he commits he may come around. He and Sewell have flipped to the right side and are struggling with a new position. I hate the Raiders as much as the next Bolts fan, but its one preseason game.

I always liked Mayock on TV as a draft analyst, but that ended when he became the Raider GM. Gruden continues to prove his overall incompetence running a team. I will probably like Mayock again once he gets fired. Don’t see ESPN or anyone hiring him as a TV analyst in the future given how terrible he has been at drafting.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Leatherwood wasn’t really expected to go in the 1st round by most people so I wouldn’t call him a highly touted OT, more of an overdraft.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  Leatherwood wasn’t really expected to go in the 1st round by most people so I wouldn’t call him a highly touted OT, more of an overdraft.
                  Okay, so Leatherwood is kind of like a poor man's Fluker...

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, so Leatherwood is kind of like a poor man's Fluker...
                    Pretty much, Fluker at least came out in an extremely weak draft class so that explains his overdrafting to some degree.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Pretty much, Fluker at least came out in an extremely weak draft class so that explains his overdrafting to some degree.
                      Yep...add to that how TT panicked after the top 3 OT's went in the top 10, so TT reached for Fluke at #11...kind of like how AJ Smith reached for players like English and Candyman...

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Didn't most agree Leatherwood would best be suited at G in the NFL?
                        That's certainly something Mayock wouldn't have missed?
                        Hate to see the young guy fail but f**k the Turds.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                          Didn't most agree Leatherwood would best be suited at G in the NFL?
                          That's certainly something Mayock wouldn't have missed?
                          Hate to see the young guy fail but f**k the Turds.
                          Maybe Mikey isn't as smart as some people think...if the top few Raiders draft picks end up as busts or semi-busts, I'm guessing Chucky and Mark Davis team up to force Mayock out...then Davis Jr. lets Chucky hand pick the next GM...

Comment

Working...
                          X