• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Berserker76
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Winning is an attitude, an expectation. Some teams have it, some don’t. And looking at the Chargers record with TT, we don’t have it. Because we’re always “good enough” to get by. We don’t go the extra mile to get more and better players to help us win now.
    I tend to agree with this assessment, with one caveat. I'm hoping that we finally have the right coaching staff that can override the GM and owner's mediocrity.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My thing its just more the attitude the Chargers would not take a chance on OBJ but the Chiefs and Saints are calling about him.

Granted, I am okay with the Chargers not signing the guy but last week the Saints traded for Mark Ingram, now talking to OBJ; the Chiefs traded for an Ingram as well (coincidentally) and now talking to OBJ.

Its like we are conditioned as Chargers fans "nope, he is a cancer, he will be a problem, lets not sign him"
      Mark Ingram is widely respected to be a fantastic teammate.

I don't really care who's talking to OBJ. I would not want himm on my team or in my locker room. He sure as hell didn't work out well for the browns. And how do you envision that diva is going to work out not being a number one option on any team (and maybe not even the number two option)? Hard pass for me.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        Does anyone seriously think that OBJ is the key to a superbowl victory by the Rams? That team is so loaded at WR that DeSean Jackson just asked for his release a week or two ago. Did everyone forget that? And since when does a WR get you to the superbowl? And unless he is such a terrible person and teammate that he was faking, OBJ is a very limited player right now. He claim(ed) he has two torn labrums in his shoulders! And he has attention and focus lapses when he is not the focal of the offense (you all saw him drop an easy 4th down catch against us and that has been the hallmark of today's OBJ, not the superlative catch he made for a td with Eli). I am so very glad our team did not sign him. His only value is NEXT year as a compensatory pick when he leaves.

Last thought on the Rams...while for fans and fantasy football nerds and Madden players this looks like a great addition and a great team, think about reality for a second. Yes, some players on that team, like Ramsey who is a superstar and confident in his role, love it. But the majority of the roster has got to be like....what the heck? Why are we bringing in this jerk when I have been busting my butt all season and off season. Think Robert Woods, a really good WR who just got shafted. Even Joe Johnson who now plays for Browns and knows both the Rams and OBJ is really questioning this move.

TG
        Its not about Odell Beckham or Cam Newton or Akiem Hicks. Think bigger picture - don't get tied up in the name - figurative not literal. Its just that OBJ was a free agent this week.

Its more about a philosophy of trying to win

the Chargers have Herbert on a rookie deal only three more years - why not maximize this year. Thats all I am saying

I swear - Lawrence Taylor in his prime could be a street free agent and some on this board would say "I don't want that cokehead on the team - he would be a cancer on the Chargers"

I don;t get it - if you are investing all the money as an owner to win - why aren't you wanting to give yourself the best opportunity to win.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

He went to the Rams where he would be the -- third best WR on the roster. Kupp and Woods. Maybe he is better than Woods

So second argument is what the Spanii have conditioned their fans to say "he's a diva; he's a malcontent, he doesn't fill a need, he takes cap space, he would cost a draft pick" - blah blah blah

take your pick and excuse for not improving the team - Tommy Polian and Dean Spanii are the perfect milquetoast combination
          The.Spanii and I have nothing to do with the opinion that he's a diva a malcontent and a shity locker-room presence. Everyone assumes this Meathead is going to upgrade a team. LOL. How did that work out for Cleveland? The same thing about Le'Veon Bell. He did nothing in Kansas City and so far he's done next to nothing in Baltimore. Sometimes I think people a here only concern themselves with name value of the individua, which is mostly based upon the not so recent past performance.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I didn't want OBJ for red flag character issues, but I DID want Justin Houston...
            Justin Houston signed for 2.075m -

Granted maybe he wanted to play with the Ravens more than wanting some cash.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

OBJ has had three seasons with 90+ catches....his first three in the league. His first year was an anomaly with a 70% catch rate.... The rest of his seasons have all been in the 50s or barely cracked 60% catch rate. This guy has been living off highlight catches, but his consistency is poor. One season in Cleveland he got 133 targets and only caught 77. He is vastly overrated.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Another possibility is that the Spanii are scrimping on salaries in order to pay the relocation fee.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Another possibility is that the Spanii are scrimping on salaries in order to pay the relocation fee.
                  That could be. I do not get into the scouting that others on this forum get into - though I learn a lot let me tell you reading other posters showing clips of plays, talking about players and the like

But I do like knowing about the NFL salary cap. I follow guys on twitter like Jason OTC, Joel Corry, Ian Whetstone (steelers fan but good with the cap) and a guy named Miguel (Pats fan - but is very good with their cap) - so I engage with them to learn about cap and study teams like the Saints in how they make moves to move money from year to year

And one thing that teams like the Rams and maybe Saints have going for them is they are cash rich. I mean, the Kroenkes are worth like $12B with their walmart and other business ventures. Gayle Benson is worth $3.8B and I am not sure how much of that is the Saints and Pelicans and how much.

And part of playing the NFL salary cap game is being cash rich as you able to float a bunch of cash up front that you amortize over a few years. And the Chargers are not alone, the Bengals run a similar operation cap wise, as does a team like the Colts. Its more year to year - not getting too far ahead of things - so you limit dead cap space in the future - but you may not be as aggressive as other teams.

So the Spanii might need their cash for other things so they operate in 12 month revenue cycles.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Its not about Odell Beckham or Cam Newton or Akiem Hicks. Think bigger picture - don't get tied up in the name - figurative not literal. Its just that OBJ was a free agent this week.

Its more about a philosophy of trying to win

the Chargers have Herbert on a rookie deal only three more years - why not maximize this year. Thats all I am saying

I swear - Lawrence Taylor in his prime could be a street free agent and some on this board would say "I don't want that cokehead on the team - he would be a cancer on the Chargers"

I don;t get it - if you are investing all the money as an owner to win - why aren't you wanting to give yourself the best opportunity to win.
                    it looks like there are a lot of people that are arguing against you, have you noticed? I suppose we could all be wrong but it's also possible that you and the one guy that agreed with you are wrong. At any rate, I think it's time to simply say we disagree and let it drop.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

I was astonished by the fins defense last night, I thought they were like the 85 Bears. Where did that come from and where has it been?
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Jay Glazer on TNF showed the graphic last night that OBJ was making 10M. He also stated that 4 of that was if they won the SB and he was the MVP. Not sure of the actual details though.

My guess is thats where many got the 10M number from. It flashed while Glazer was talking about the OBJ news.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post
                          Jay Glazer on TNF showed the graphic last night that OBJ was making 10M. He also stated that 4 of that was if they won the SB and he was the MVP. Not sure of the actual details though.

My guess is thats where many got the 10M number from. It flashed while Glazer was talking about the OBJ news.
                          Ah, the good old "OBJ SB MVP Escalator"...

Imagine what might happen if OBJ DOES get to the SB: "Come on, man! Yo, Stafford! I've only had 10 targets so far this game! Gotta get at LEAST 20 for ME to get that MVP!!!"

...sound far-fetched? Word is that OBJ pressured poor Mayfield in Cleveland so much for targets, Baker tried forcing the rock to Diva Dude, just to try and keep him happy...

Comment

Working...
                          X