• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I don't buy the racism slant to hiring Saturday. I think one of two things are at play:

1. Irsay is an evil genius. He does not want to get accused of intentionally tanking the season like the Dolphins owner. So instead he makes a big deal about hiring someone who is a coaching outsider and going his own way, blah blah. But he is really tanking so they can get a Qb. Brilliant.
    2. Irsay is so far gone he no longer knows what he is doing. He has had some alleged substance issues in the past and had been pretty erratic in the past.

My money is on number 1.
    Irsay has been living off the Peyton Manning gravy train this century.

Its not anyone hiring that is 'racist', it is the repeated action of infrequently hiring black coaches when the majority of players this century are black.
    In other words, the majority of players who have experience/knowldege playing in the NFL, and who have demonstrated the discipline and mental aspects to succeed
    at this highest level, are not getting as many opportunities at the coaching level.

In the past, this was tacitly (or openly) assumed to be due to black players not being 'smart', or not being 'disciplined' or even being prima donnas and not wanting to work their way up from the lowest level of an organization and put in all that overtime.
    No one has replaced those bad reasons with any good reasons for their being comparatively fewer black coaches in the NFL or college.

Here are some good reasons:

Rich guys (or the Presidents of universities) generally are not comfortable interacting closely with a black guy....there are a few exceptions.
    More than a few NFL owners would not want their organization run by a n......
    Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-09-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I guess what I believe on the racism front is not that qualified black head coaching candidates should be offended or feel slighted because Irsay hired Saturday.

Rather, I think ALL qualified head coaching candidates should be offended and feel slighted. Saturday has never coached a single play on the college or pro level and he is now one of 32 head coaches in the NFL. He did coach high school football and has an overwhelmingly losing record. Think about that. It's amazing.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

I guess what I believe on the racism front is not that qualified black head coaching candidates should be offended or feel slighted because Irsay hired Saturday.

Rather, I think ALL qualified head coaching candidates should be offended and feel slighted. Saturday has never coached a single play on the college or pro level and he is now one of 32 head coaches in the NFL. He did coach high school football and has an overwhelmingly losing record. Think about that. It's amazing.

TG
        Agree with that. The Colts have had 2 black HC's recently so I don't think you can say that Irsay wouldn't hire a black coach or is uncomfortable "interacting with a black guy"

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Looking ahead a bit to our game against Miami.
          Found this little nugget on YouTube
          it's going to be hard to stop Miami's O without JCJ
          In the flip-side, I hope to see something similar from our offense as soon as next year.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            https://youtu.be/aE9i1lq7cZg

Looking ahead a bit to our game against Miami.
            Found this little nugget on YouTube
            it's going to be hard to stop Miami's O without JCJ
            In the flip-side, I hope to see something similar from our offense as soon as next year.
            That is going to be a tough game for sure. But I think Davis has actually outplayed Jackson this season. He and Samuel seem to be the best outside corners and Callahan has been dynamite in the slot. Davis is also way faster than Jackson and maybe the fastest guy on this team and that will help with Hill.

To me the bigger loss of all our ridiculous injuries for this game is Bosa. Bosa and Mack would rattle Tua. Mack and the other guys is a step back.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

That is going to be a tough game for sure. But I think Davis has actually outplayed Jackson this season. He and Samuel seem to be the best outside corners and Callahan has been dynamite in the slot. Davis is also way faster than Jackson and maybe the fastest guy on this team and that will help with Hill.

To me the bigger loss of all our ridiculous injuries for this game is Bosa. Bosa and Mack would rattle Tua. Mack and the other guys is a step back.

TG
              For sure.
              Tua has a pretty quick release regardless, impressive offense overall.
              Hopefully both KA and MW will be back and we win an old fasguon shootout
              imo Herbert tends to bring the competitor (for better or worse) out of every opposing QB. I think it'll be especially so with Tua, being tied together/compared since the draft.
              I predict an outlier game from Tua--either his best or worst will show up.
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

For sure.
                Tua has a pretty quick release regardless, impressive offense overall.
                Hopefully both KA and MW will be back and we win an old fasguon shootout
                imo Herbert tends to bring the competitor (for better or worse) out of every opposing QB. I think it'll be especially so with Tua, being tied together/compared since the draft.
                I predict an outlier game from Tua--either his best or worst will show up.
                Coach specifically worked on Tua doing a much quicker release and it’s paid off. Herbert would benefit doing that as well.

Comment

• sdchrgrboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2021
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

I don't buy the racism slant to hiring Saturday. I think one of two things are at play:

1. Irsay is an evil genius. He does not want to get accused of intentionally tanking the season like the Dolphins owner. So instead he makes a big deal about hiring someone who is a coaching outsider and going his own way, blah blah. But he is really tanking so they can get a Qb. Brilliant.
                  2. Irsay is so far gone he no longer knows what he is doing. He has had some alleged substance issues in the past and had been pretty erratic in the past.

My money is on number 1.
                  I think he really is an idiot. but you're right, he's onto to 2023

In anointing Saturday, Irsay skipped over two former NFL coaches on this staff — Gus Bradley and John Fox — and a special teams coordinator, Bubba Ventrone, who oversaw the team during coronavirus issues in the past and is seen as a potential future head coach. They came to Indianapolis to work for Reich, who was beloved, and now report to Saturday, who revealed a certain level of hubris in even accepting this position under these circumstances. That dynamic almost begs conflict.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

TG
                    I don't have a problem with this hire at all. The owner feels comfortable with the guy he hired and the #1 problem the colts are having is their offensive line. This is an opportunity for Saturday to get some coaching experience and at the same time no one has to worry about losing their jobs until the end of the season. If Saturday does a horrible job they'll bring in someone new next season. Consider it an experiment as the colts were not going to the playoffs this year after Matt Ryan looked so average.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Coach specifically worked on Tua doing a much quicker release and it’s paid off. Herbert would benefit doing that as well.
                      Tua's average release is 2.4 seconds. Herbert's is 2.5 seconds.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

TG
                        I think JCJ would still help if he could stay on the field and get himself together. If Staley didn't acquire JCJ, I don't know if MD plays like how he's playing. Because it sure did get MD to do better.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Tua's average release is 2.4 seconds. Herbert's is 2.5 seconds.
                          That’s what I’m talking about.

Comment

Working...
                          X