Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

When you're down by two scores with 10 minutes to play, throwing the ball away, not risking a pass to get a first down, thats just giving up.
    I suppose our new strategy will be to not be down by 2 score with 10 minutes left to play.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

When you're down by two scores with 10 minutes to play, throwing the ball away, not risking a pass to get a first down, thats just giving up.
      Agreed. Let's just avoid picks when there's no reason to be desperate.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Huh?
        if you have 3 timeouts and trust your defense and ability to get 1st downs.
        Then 10 minutes to play is plenty of time for a QB and his team to make up two scores without throwing caution to the wind, which is literally throwing away the chance to win.
        You can also hurry up and and snap it early, hit the check down quick for run after catch yards and not waste clock trying to get to the perfect play.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Huh?
          if you have 3 timeouts and trust your defense and ability to get 1st downs.
          Then 10 minutes to play is plenty of time for a QB and his team to make up two scores without throwing caution to the wind, which is literally throwing away the chance to win.
          You can also hurry up and and snap it early, hit the check down quick for run after catch yards and not waste clock trying to get to the perfect play.
          Or...how about having such a good defense that actually helps you put points on the board too! Superbowl teams have defenses that are opportunists as well!:cheers:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Something is wrong with your QB when he can seemingly move the O up and down the field at will, but then turn into a hot mess inside the red zone. I remember seasons where Rivers had turnover problems, sure, but last season sticks out as his TOs were game-losers at critical times, usually in scoring position. Never seen any QB influence games like that, ever. Loved him for years, glad he’s gone.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Something is wrong with your QB when he can seemingly move the O up and down the field at will, but then turn into a hot mess inside the red zone. I remember seasons where Rivers had turnover problems, sure, but last season sticks out as his TOs were game-losers at critical times, usually in scoring position. Never seen any QB influence games like that, ever. Loved him for years, glad he’s gone.
              With no oline his options we're limited. We saw that painfully in the Tennessee game with Gordon not able to punch it in.Panic definitely set in. In Indianapolis he wont have any excuses but I do see his turnover ratio coming down to normal with a balanced offense.:deadhorse:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                Day One...
                • Mar 2019
                • Brentwood, 94513
                • Send PM

For years we didn't give Rivers a good offensive line. Then money became another reason he didn't get a respectable oline. I love Rivers as our qb, but he just didn't have it to finish most games. If he did, we would have been in more playoffs. But there's no reason to cry over spilled milk. He's gone and we are moving on.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Never? Really?

I just watched him against Tennessee (week #7).....he was fine. He lead them down to what should have been a game winning td.....the type of which everyone claims he was incapable. He was also fine against Indy. The wheels came unhinged somewhere between Chicago and the debacle in Mexico City.

Without Rivers in that final game at Arrowhead, they would have been bitch slapped by K.C.. Since he's not longer with the Chargers, that kind of tells you where they are right now in relation to the top teams.
                  Last edited by powderblueboy; 05-11-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He lost five games by my count (two others, I can see mitigating stuff going on even though he did cock it up), just bad/ill considered throws at critical times, where a good throw wins the game, or throw it away or take a sack and we have another chance to win the game. Would’ve loved to be 10-6 last season. And sure, lots of plays and players produce similar ups and downs, yes yes yes. But Rivers, he made a lot of bad decisions last season, five of which directly flipped our W/L record. IMHO.

So no, never seen a Pro Bowl QB snatch a playoff berth from a pretty good team, and then give them the chance to draft his replacement. Hollywood could not have scripted this, lol.
                    Last edited by blueman; 05-11-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

He lost five games by my count (two others, I can see mitigating stuff going on even though he did cock it up), just bad/ill considered throws at critical times, where a good throw wins the game, or throw it away or take a sack and we have another chance to win the game. Would’ve loved to be 10-6 last season. And sure, lots of plays and players produce similar ups and downs, yes yes yes. But Rivers, he made a lot of bad decisions last season, five of which directly flipped our W/L record. IMHO.
                      Well, let's go through the losses

Week #2: He threw 1 interception against Detroit near the end of the game. It was 3rd & 19 (run, botched screen pass & penalty). Field goal kicker missed two field goals in the 3rd quarter. Some loser qbs would leave it to the field goal kicker again. Nope!

Week #3: He threw 2 tds & 0 interceptions against Houston. Nope!

Week #5: He threw 0 tds & 2 interceptions against Denver. Crappy game...sure! Lost it? He had help.
                      An Ekeler fumble, Gus Bradley's D couldn't keep Denver's offense out of the end zone first half....hard to come back with crappy Olines.
                      Indeterminate!

Week #6: Entire team didn't show up to play against Pittsburgh. Defense confused Devlin Hodges with Dan Marino in the 1rst half.
                      Offensive line looked helpless out there. Nope!

Week #7: Titans. Nope!

Week #10: Rivers had dreadful 1rst quarter, still only down 10 - 7 at half. Put them ahead with less than 4:00 minutes left. Defense wilts at end -
                      gives up td with less than 1:00 minute. Okung injured...offensive line a complete mess...no running attack. Nope!

Week #11: Mexico city against K.C.. Yeah, sure! Rivers was horrible...he lost it.

Week #13: Rivers threw 2 Tds, 1 interception against Denver. One missed field goal in 4rth quarter. D gave up long pass play at end. Nope!

Week #14: Minnesota...total team failure. Nope!

Week #16: 2nd Oakland game: he threw 0 interceptions, had no running game, D gave up a quick 21 points. Nope!

Week #17: Rivers carried the team on his back that day...something he didn't do much the whole season. Special teams failure huge.

The score: Rivers lost 1 game outright (KC) , had a big hand in losing a 2nd game (1rst Denver game), and threw a pick 6 early in a 3rd game, but brought them back to take the lead near the end.

How did you get 5?????
                      Last edited by powderblueboy; 05-11-2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Ah me, you’re so right! Rivers was golden last season and everybody else is at fault for going 5-11. I salute you!

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

New personal policy
                          I'm never going to mention Rivers on TPB
                          Unless we're playing against him
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment