• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Well, let's go through the losses

Week #2: He threw 1 interception against Detroit near the end of the game. It was 3rd & 19 (run, botched screen pass & penalty). Field goal kicker missed two field goals in the 3rd quarter. Some loser qbs would leave it to the field goal kicker again. Nope!

Week #3: He threw 2 tds & 0 interceptions against Houston. Nope!

Week #5: He threw 0 tds & 2 interceptions against Denver. Crappy game...sure! Lost it? He had help.
    An Ekeler fumble, Gus Bradley's D couldn't keep Denver's offense out of the end zone first half....hard to come back with crappy Olines.
    Indeterminate!

Week #6: Entire team didn't show up to play against Pittsburgh. Defense confused Devlin Hodges with Dan Marino in the 1rst half.
    Offensive line looked helpless out there. Nope!

Week #7: Titans. Nope!

Week #10: Rivers had dreadful 1rst quarter, still only down 10 - 7 at half. Put them ahead with less than 4:00 minutes left. Defense wilts at end -
    gives up td with less than 1:00 minute. Okung injured...offensive line a complete mess...no running attack. Nope!

Week #11: Mexico city against K.C.. Yeah, sure! Rivers was horrible...he lost it.

Week #13: Rivers threw 2 Tds, 1 interception against Denver. One missed field goal in 4rth quarter. D gave up long pass play at end. Nope!

Week #14: Minnesota...total team failure. Nope!

Week #16: 2nd Oakland game: he threw 0 interceptions, had no running game, D gave up a quick 21 points. Nope!

Week #17: Rivers carried the team on his back that day...something he didn't do much the whole season. Special teams failure huge.

The score: Rivers lost 1 game outright (KC) , had a big hand in losing a 2nd game (1rst Denver game), and threw a pick 6 early in a 3rd game, but brought them back to take the lead near the end.

How did you get 5?????
    For week 6, you didn't mention that Rivers threw 2 picks, had a lost fumble, and a QB rating of 77%...oops...

For week 14, you didn't mention that Rivers threw 3 picks and had a QBR of 71%...oops...

By my count, you can add in at least those two games as fails by PR...

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2020
      • Send PM

Well, let's go through the losses

Week #2: He threw 1 interception against Detroit near the end of the game. It was 3rd & 19 (run, botched screen pass & penalty). Field goal kicker missed two field goals in the 3rd quarter. Some loser qbs would leave it to the field goal kicker again. Nope!

Week #3: He threw 2 tds & 0 interceptions against Houston. Nope!

Week #5: He threw 0 tds & 2 interceptions against Denver. Crappy game...sure! Lost it? He had help.
      An Ekeler fumble, Gus Bradley's D couldn't keep Denver's offense out of the end zone first half....hard to come back with crappy Olines.
      Indeterminate!

Week #6: Entire team didn't show up to play against Pittsburgh. Defense confused Devlin Hodges with Dan Marino in the 1rst half.
      Offensive line looked helpless out there. Nope!

Week #7: Titans. Nope!

Week #10: Rivers had dreadful 1rst quarter, still only down 10 - 7 at half. Put them ahead with less than 4:00 minutes left. Defense wilts at end -
      gives up td with less than 1:00 minute. Okung injured...offensive line a complete mess...no running attack. Nope!

Week #11: Mexico city against K.C.. Yeah, sure! Rivers was horrible...he lost it.

Week #13: Rivers threw 2 Tds, 1 interception against Denver. One missed field goal in 4rth quarter. D gave up long pass play at end. Nope!

Week #14: Minnesota...total team failure. Nope!

Week #16: 2nd Oakland game: he threw 0 interceptions, had no running game, D gave up a quick 21 points. Nope!

Week #17: Rivers carried the team on his back that day...something he didn't do much the whole season. Special teams failure huge.

The score: Rivers lost 1 game outright (KC) , had a big hand in losing a 2nd game (1rst Denver game), and threw a pick 6 early in a 3rd game, but brought them back to take the lead near the end.

How did you get 5?????

why justify rivers so much?
      he was horrible last season and a huge reason why we lost so many games, be objective i am rivers fan but he was trash last season

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Huh?
        if you have 3 timeouts and trust your defense and ability to get 1st downs.
        Then 10 minutes to play is plenty of time for a QB and his team to make up two scores without throwing caution to the wind, which is literally throwing away the chance to win.
        You can also hurry up and and snap it early, hit the check down quick for run after catch yards and not waste clock trying to get to the perfect play.
        Good point. We will be able to put some faith in the 2020 defense - until proven otherwise, it should be so. Special teams will play a major role also. Field position and/or a KR TD can be huge. Darius Jennings & Joe Reed pose a return threat. They and KJ Hill offer WR3 YAC.
        10 minutes can be more than adequate.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jorgecasas10 View Post

he was horrible last season and a huge reason why we lost so many games, be objective i am rivers fan but he was trash last season
          He made some bad decisions but still think the OL was shit and he was under more pressure than he had ever been before.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He made some bad decisions but still think the OL was shit and he was under more pressure than he had ever been before.
            I question that. Norv's last year (2012) it seemed like all he called were deep passes. PR got hit a ton. There were several other terrible years.
            PR was sacked 34 times in 2019. 36 in 2014, 2016. 38 in 2010. 40 in 2015 and 49 times in 2012.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I question that. Norv's last year (2012) it seemed like all he called were deep passes. PR got hit a ton. There were several other terrible years.
              PR was sacked 34 times in 2019. 36 in 2014, 2016. 38 in 2010. 40 in 2015 and 49 times in 2012.
              Look how those numbers go up each year! Yikes!

I look at those sack numbers and I think - Rivers has always been praised for his quick release - how will those numbers be with a QB that has an average release?

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                Look how those numbers go up each year! Yikes!

I look at those sack numbers and I think - Rivers has always been praised for his quick release - how will those numbers be with a QB that has an average release?
                Roo, there's also ANOTHER way to look at it...how will those numbers be with a QB that moves very well in the pocket, can extend plays, and scramble for a lot of first downs?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

For week 6, you didn't mention that Rivers threw 2 picks, had a lost fumble, and a QB rating of 77%...oops...

For week 14, you didn't mention that Rivers threw 3 picks and had a QBR of 71%...oops...

By my count, you can add in at least those two games as fails by PR...
                  The operative phrase again was: "Rivers cost them 5 games."

Week #6: I wrote that the whole team didn't show up - that includes Rivers Topcat. Rivers had an equally bad showing against Pittsburgh in 2016.
                  Without Okung/Pouncey, Charger Oline has no chance against Pittsburgh's front 7.

Did Rivers cost them the game? No!

Week #14. I wrote that it was a total team failure. Why didn't i just write down each individuals PFF score for that game...why stop at Rivers?

Fails, yes! But Hercules could be your qb in those games and you ain't winning them behind that craptastic Oline and average D.

If Rivers cost them 5 games last year (that they would have won with an efficient game manager), then they would have gone 10 - 6 with Tyrod last year.

LT: "Great" Scott
                  LG: Dan "the man" Feeney
                  C: Quessenberry
                  RG: Michael Schofield
                  RT: Tevi

QB: Tyrod Taylor

How many of you would have predicted 10 wins with this group?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jorgecasas10 View Post

Not all games....just a few. He had good games last year and they still lost.....so it was more a matter of him not being able to bail out a crappy team.

And they were a crappy team last year without Rivers: horrible Oline, little production from ground game, sub par defensive interior, subpar linebackers, holes in defensive secondary, sub par pass rush, few turnovers produced, sub par special teams play.

One game last year they could have won if it was the Rivers of old, & that was the first K.C. game.

The 2nd K.C. game he carried them, and they still lost by 10. Probably more interesting to go into those type of games.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

The operative phrase again was: "Rivers cost them 5 games."

Week #6: I wrote that the whole team didn't show up - that includes Rivers Topcat. Rivers had an equally bad showing against Pittsburgh in 2016.
                      Without Okung/Pouncey, Charger Oline has no chance against Pittsburgh's front 7.

Week #14. I wrote that it was a total team failure. Why didn't i just write down each individuals PFF score for that game...why stop at Rivers?

Fails, yes! But Hercules could be your qb in those games and you ain't winning them behind that craptastic Oline and average D.

If Rivers cost them 5 games last year (that they would have won with an efficient game manager), then they would have gone 10 - 6 with Tyrod last year.

LT: "Great" Scott
                      LG: Dan "the man" Feeney
                      C: Quessenberry
                      RG: Michael Schofield
                      RT: Tevi

QB: Tyrod Taylor

How many of you would have predicted 10 wins with this group?
                      Hard to say, but if you look at Taylor's stats as a starter at Buffalo, he had a very low TD to pick ratio, unlike Rivers last year, and in some other years. So, I would say that we would have won at least SOME of those games when Rivers panicked, played hero ball, and kept slinging up the rock into coverage for multiple picks that lost us games...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I posted an article today about Rivers reason for wanting to go to Indy and in that article it said from justTevi and Scott alone he was pressured 88 times...which was 2nd worst in the league from OTs. Can't imagine who was worse.
                        So It's not just sacks.

I'd post a snipit from that article but I'm having too much trouble trying to paste it here and it won't go where I want it. It's in the thread:

The over /under on Rivers
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-12-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Hard to say, but if you look at Taylor's stats as a starter at Buffalo, he had a very low TD to pick ratio, unlike Rivers last year, and in some other years. So, I would say that we would have won at least SOME of those games when Rivers panicked, played hero ball, and kept slinging up the rock into coverage for multiple picks that lost us games...
                          Doubt it. Forget the INTs.....Tyrod can't make the good throws Rivers makes. He doesn't take the chances and porobably won't be able read the defense as well to change protections and won't be allowed to audible to another play.

Comment

Working...
                          X