• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Staley addressing his team before games really excites me. I heard Lynn didn’t do any of that BS
    i was fine with that.

Knut Rockne pre game pep talks to get professional players to run through walls has its limits.
    With Marty, it was a part of his personality - so i was fine with that too.

Get that gleam men!

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      I blamed Gus more for all those blown leads than I did Lynn. The special teams deserve at least an honorable mention in this conversation too. Plenty of blame to go around.
      Lynn was 100% responsible for Gus. That's the burden of a chief executive.

I think Lynn's inability to be honest (either with himself or others) in setting up these counterfactual narratives (Tyrod deserves a chance to start, we're a top 10 running team, etc) dooms his potential as an executive. He will always need someone keeping him honest.

Loyalty to a player or coach over the overall team is ultimately disloyal to every other player and coach and member of the team. It's blatant favoritism.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Saying the guy in charge is responsible for whatever the guys under him do is really is bad argument IMO. Should the HC fire the OC when he calls a bad play because "he's in charge"? How many OC's would you have them hire per year? Your argument is an oversimplification.

The fact remains the defense gave away games and the DC was calling the plays for the defense. If Lynn should have been fired for keeping a coach, I'd say he should have been fired for keeping Stewart.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Saying the guy in charge is responsible for whatever the guys under him do is really is bad argument IMO. Should the HC fire the OC when he calls a bad play because "he's in charge"? How many OC's would you have them hire per year? Your argument is an oversimplification.

The fact remains the defense gave away games and the DC was calling the plays for the defense. If Lynn should have been fired for keeping a coach, I'd say he should have been fired for keeping Stewart.
          He was the DC for years. It's not one play. It's not someone way down the chain. It was a continuous issue at the top level.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

The head coach is in charge of everything on the field. Period.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

It is a given that Lynn fired Whisenhut, and had continuity with Steichen.

Replacing Bradley mid season would have brought Mike Nolan in Dallas results.

We'll see how Bradley does with Las Vegas, and how Lynn does with Detroit.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                The head coach is in charge of everything on the field. Period.
                The single biggest blight on Anthony Lynn's tenure was hiring George Stewart and then sticking with him when the results were awful.

Lynn was responsible for Stewart's failure. While Stewart obviously didn't get the job done, Lynn stuck with him anyway-- a horrible decision-- which is on nobody but Lynn.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

There are ways for a HC to change the way a coordinator performs WITHOUT firing him. Like, if the HC isn't in charge of the coordinators, why bother with a HC? Why are owners paying millions of dollars per year to figure heads?

HC sets overall strategic goals, gameplans, etc. If the DC keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over, it is his responsibility to get him in shape or show him the door.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He lies though.
                    His best option is to let professional football people make personnel decisions and Jerry certainly won’t do that.
                    Jerry’s just a wealthier, louder, marketing genius version of the Spani. Their families are both too involved in all day-to-day operations.
                    Those three attributes are the polar opposite of Spanos, who is a poor, meek and quiet marketing moron.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Those three attributes are the polar opposite of Spanos, who is a poor, meek and quiet marketing moron.
                      Is this the Year the Mouse Roars!

:whistlin:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I blamed Gus more for all those blown leads than I did Lynn. The special teams deserve at least an honorable mention in this conversation too. Plenty of blame to go around.
                        Let’s not forget the constant Chargers bugaboo of key injuries. Lost James, Tranquil, Ingram, Bosa out for a few with concussions, Chris Harris, etc. gus likely misused Kenneth Murray as well. Offense was responsible for losing games as well. The end of the Raiders game in LA, Buffalo where the defense kept giving them the ball and they couldn’t convert, KC after being up and then add in ST and that horrible loss in NO.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

I just read a comment on The Athletic "watching the coaching staff last year was like watching someone drive a sports car in second gear because he doesn't want to learn to shift" (paraphrasing). Ha.

Comment

Working...
                          X