• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltinloudguy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Ego? Not sure I buy that. If you said he trusts analytics too much I might agree with that.

I will point out that in the KC game we were 2 of 5 on those conversions and scored 2 TDs for 14 points. If we would have attempted fgs all 5 times and made all 5, it would have been 15 points. Hardly game changing either way.
    I will point out that the only 4th down I disagreed with in the KC game was the one at the end of the half and this is why. I understand going for it and not making it you are pinning your opponents deep in their own territory and you try to flip the field. BUT, in that situation the end of the and your opponent is not getting the ball back.

1st Choice- If you go for it and miss your only up by 4, momentum swing and KC gets the ball first in the 2nd half.

2nd Choice- You kick the FG, go up by 7 and have the momentum.

To me, that call and the one last night on their own 18 were pure and straight common sense not to go for it.

Again, I like Staley and I like his aggressiveness. I just hope he learns from his mistakes this year and really processes the situation before making the emotional call instead the rational call.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I can 100 percent guarantee that no Spanos nor Tom Telesco is dictating to Brandon Staley who he has to play in any game.
      How can you do that? Evidence?
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I will point out that the only 4th down I disagreed with in the KC game was the one at the end of the half and this is why. I understand going for it and not making it you are pinning your opponents deep in their own territory and you try to flip the field. BUT, in that situation the end of the and your opponent is not getting the ball back.

1st Choice- If you go for it and miss your only up by 4, momentum swing and KC gets the ball first in the 2nd half.

2nd Choice- You kick the FG, go up by 7 and have the momentum.

To me, that call and the one last night on their own 18 were pure and straight common sense not to go for it.

Again, I like Staley and I like his aggressiveness. I just hope he learns from his mistakes this year and really processes the situation before making the emotional call instead the rational call.

you have to take the bad with the good
        but yes, of all the calls this year, those really are the only two I question as a against KC, they got a fumble before the half and going up 7 would have been huge
        and against the Riaders- thats far in their own territory for me...

but I am bullish on Staley

his biggest job the next 90-12 days, sitting with Telesco figuring out what players fit the scheme he wants to play

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
          His biggest job the next 90-12 days, sitting with Telesco figuring out what players fit the scheme he wants to play
          And this is exactly what I expect to happen since I expect both to be back.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

And here is the thing, I am not the biggest Telesco fan - but since he is going to be back, I will give him the benefit of the doubt in that the last offseason was spent building the Oline (Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi Slater and Jaimes) and maybe not focusing on Staley type defensive players

This offseason needs to do the same thing but on defense: IDL, Edge, CB, more IDL; figure out how players like Tillery and Murray fit in. Can Tillery be a rotational IDL for pass rush since he is so cheap; a guy like Murray - figure out his best position and coach him at ONE position in OTAs, training camp, film study, whatever. If not, see if you can trade him - and by trade I mean something like Murray and a 2022 7th round pick for 6th round pick (or future pick)

But Telesco and Staley should be in the film room really trying to get his type of player on defense.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

And here is the thing, I am not the biggest Telesco fan - but since he is going to be back, I will give him the benefit of the doubt in that the last offseason was spent building the Oline (Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi Slater and Jaimes) and maybe not focusing on Staley type defensive players

This offseason needs to do the same thing but on defense: IDL, Edge, CB, more IDL; figure out how players like Tillery and Murray fit in. Can Tillery be a rotational IDL for pass rush since he is so cheap; a guy like Murray - figure out his best position and coach him at ONE position in OTAs, training camp, film study, whatever. If not, see if you can trade him - and by trade I mean something like Murray and a 2022 7th round pick for 6th round pick (or future pick)

But Telesco and Staley should be in the film room really trying to get his type of player on defense.
              Not sure why everyone is assuming that Staley didn’t have his type of players on defense. What is his type? Aaron Donald and Nalen Ramsey? Yeah we didn’t have that. Biggest disappointment of the season was the play of the defense. They were better under Gus D and everyone was anxious to show him the door. But his guys bottled us up for nearly an entire game and his guys were mostly ex Chargers. Staley just isn’t the defensive wunderkind we thought

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Not sure why everyone is assuming that Staley didn’t have his type of players on defense. What is his type? Aaron Donald and Nalen Ramsey? Yeah we didn’t have that. Biggest disappointment of the season was the play of the defense. They were better under Gus D and everyone was anxious to show him the door. But his guys bottled us up for nearly an entire game and his guys were mostly ex Chargers. Staley just isn’t the defensive wunderkind we thought
                So Gus Bradley got the head coaching job because .. why - in Jacksonville and why didn't he ever re-create that type of defense in Jacksonville?

If you want to say that STaley should have developed a scheme that better suits the players, thats fine. But the Chargers under Bradley ran a different scheme than under STaley

And I am pretty sure, the Chargers were 7-9 with Bradleys defense and couldn't get off the gawd damn field either.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

So Gus Bradley got the head coaching job because .. why - in Jacksonville and why didn't he ever re-create that type of defense in Jacksonville?

If you want to say that STaley should have developed a scheme that better suits the players, thats fine. But the Chargers under Bradley ran a different scheme than under STaley

And I am pretty sure, the Chargers were 7-9 with Bradleys defense and couldn't get off the gawd damn field either.
                  Yes, I’m saying whatever “scheme” Staley thinks he’s running didn’t work so he either needed to adapt it or get guys that it works with. He was hired in January. Well before FA or the draft or camp. It’s not like he didn’t have a chance to evaluate the roster and try to get his type of guys.

i think he needs to hire a better more experienced DC. He’s a rook and had a rook DC.

Comment

• jox g
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Staley had TWO jobs this year. Hard to be 1st year coach AND be D coordinator. Bradley had ONE. Bring in Fangio. Watch this thing grow.

Comment

• jox g
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

There’s a bit of an ego involved when you go for it on your own 18 in the 3rd quarter down by 3, and not take the points at the end of the half in the KC game.

Not trying to get players via trade that can help your run D because you think you can fix it. And guess what, you never did.

Look, I like Staley and I think they are headed in the right direction. I just hope he learns from his mistakes and realizes analytics aren’t always the answer to the right decision.

Why not try and bring in one of the brightest defensive minds in the game that knows the scheme??? Hill is not the answer at DC. Now Staley and Fangio would be much better and be able to figure it out. Not trying to bring Fangio in to me, would be Staley’s ego saying, we can fix this. But they never fixed it from start to finish. I would just like to see Staley be able to put more focus on the whole team and be just the HC and not the HC/DC.
                      AMEN!

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

I guess I can't say I blame those that are impatient, but to expect miracles in a HC's first year - first year as a Head Coach anywhere - sort of makes *me* look patient (which is NOT easy to do). I'd be willing to guess that pretty much anything short of a SB win would have produced the same feelings.

Funny thing is, if Staley had decided against going for on most of those 4th down plays this season we probably would have wound up with about the same - if not the exact same - record.

Then people would be complaining that Staley was "playing not to lose" instead of "going for the jugular". Damned if you do; damned if you don't.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Agree! The defensive tackles didn't get run over in Bradley's system...they are the same players. Perryman wasn't a Brandon Staley type player, who valued the coverage skills of White/Tranquil over Perryman's run stuffing (& too often lack of availability).

Frankly, i thought White struggled against run's between the tackles - too often he'd choose the wrong gap because he's not a natural inside linebacker.
                          His failure on the final Raiders run play was his season in a nutshell. Perryman was grossly underappreciated here; his injury in the 2nd half against KC
                          in 2018 - for the division crown - was a huge blow to the Chargers.

Too often, early on, i just thought there were more offensive blockers than defenders to hold up in a particular location.
                          Donald's insane ability to get off single and double team blocks helped Staley's defense immensely.

Comment

Working...
                          X