• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Pretty sure they did a cost analysis keeping the team + new stadium versus losing the team.
    And pretty sure, unless the entire study was fradulent, that it came out that the new stadium would attract very few tourists to Buffalo,
    and that Buffalonians would just spend there money elsewhere in the city without that as an option.

The rich have no shame when it comes to blackmailing a city, being the consummate welfare queens.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

And pretty sure, unless the entire study was fradulent, that it came out that the new stadium would attract very few tourists to Buffalo,
      and that Buffalonians would just spend there money elsewhere in the city without that as an option.

The rich have no shame when it comes to blackmailing a city, being the consummate welfare queens.
      All cities have a choice about whether they will or won't fund the cost of a stadium. If a city is willing (dumb enough?) to fund it, why shouldn't the owners take it?

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

All cities have a choice about whether they will or won't fund the cost of a stadium. If a city is willing (dumb enough?) to fund it, why shouldn't the owners take it?
        It's the "Billionaires extorting the public" aspect that gets us there that sours people.

NFL has an anti trust exemption. They shouldn't get to use that exemption as leverage over the public.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

It's the "Billionaires extorting the public" aspect that gets us there that sours people.

NFL has an anti trust exemption. They shouldn't get to use that exemption as leverage over the public.
          The LA market is full. Where are teams going to threaten to move to now if they don’t get a new stadium? It’s so terrible that they can’t play in that old, run down, 25 year old dump.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I'm not following how the league exemption for broadcast rights means owners have leverage over the public and how that relates to cities funding a stadium for them.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Several NFL players said last year they want to be paid in crypto. Trevor Lawrence converted his entire $22.6 mil signing bonus into crypto. Saquon Barkley and Odell Beckham also had all or portions of their salaries into crypto. I wonder if any Chargers players are heavily invested in crypto. In a video clip where Justin Herbert is kicking a field goal in practice, he is heard soliciting bets in crypto before he makes the kick. I hope none of our guys are losing their shirts in crypto, because they're all tanking horrendously. Bitcoin fell below $20k today.
              Last edited by Velo; 06-18-2022, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                Several NFL players said last year they want to be paid in crypto. Trevor Lawrence converted his entire $22.6 mil signing bonus into crypto. Saquon Barkley and Odell Beckham also had all or portions of their salaries into crypto. I wonder if any Chargers players are heavily invested in crypto. In a video clip where Justin Herbert is kicking a field goal in practice, he is heard soliciting bets in crypto before he makes the kick. I hope none of our guys are losing their shirts in crypto, because they're all tanking horrendously. Bitcoin fell below $20k today.
                Cryptocurrency was always a house of cards IMO. I hope Herbert was joking. But yeah, it amazes me when see players, like Brady and Brees, invest heavily in it and promote it. It should be a niche investment at most.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Cryptocurrency was always a house of cards IMO. I hope Herbert was joking. But yeah, it amazes me when see players, like Brady and Brees, invest heavily in it and promote it. It should be a niche investment at most.
                  It always seemed like a tulip bulb / ponzi combo riverboat gamble - i know what it is but i don’t get it. Other than someone else will buy it, what value does it actually hold. If it really had independent value, it would not drop against the dollar as the dollar is being inflated rapidly to be worth less and less. Its a bet.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

I think Okung was probably the first guy I heard of that wanted to be paid in Bitcoin. I hope for their own sake they all got out before it lost over 50% of its value.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

If its in Bitcoin he is losing big right now. I dont have any Crypto. Its just not stable.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Cities have a choice of funding the stadium or losing the team....and often it occurs at a time when the city is not in the best financial situation to make a major investment.
                        San Diego was flirting with bankruptcy when Spanos was trying to get them to build the new stadium; and it came immediately after.
                        the Padres got their new stadium....and then Padre players started to immediately complain about the new stadium (Phil Nevin - fuck him!).

There is involved an emotional attachment to the team that trumps (small t) financial returns....its not a question of being dumb.
                        Its not exactly the city proposing these ideas. Owners come to city officials with their demand and threaten to move their toy elsewhere
                        if conditions are not met. This is true across the corporate spectrum....not just football.

Very few owners or corporations have any emotional attachment to a city and are free to figuratively black mail cities and fan bases
                        Very few rich have any emotional attachment to anything (city/society/country/democracy) outside of their own club and family.

They have too much money and control over every damn facet of the society and we are more like an oligarchy than a democracy.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

It always seemed like a tulip bulb / ponzi combo riverboat gamble - i know what it is but i don’t get it. Other than someone else will buy it, what value does it actually hold. If it really had independent value, it would not drop against the dollar as the dollar is being inflated rapidly to be worth less and less. Its a bet.
                          I think the value lies in it being a fixed quantity, unlike gold where you can continue to mine it, and that it is a lot cheaper to maintain than gold or silver.

That being said, there is no reason why some powerful entity cannot expand the quantity when it suits there purpose, lessening the value:
                          kind of like kings diluting the purity of a gold coin in their realm. For this very human reason, it will be too unstable to bank on.

Bitcoins real value depends on the political and economic influence of its major players....forcing others to conduct transactions in its currency,
                          or failing to do so. Its not much different than what gangsters try to do in their own considered sphere of influence....everything has to go through them.

Comment

Working...
                          X