Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

They didn’t draft any safeties either so that surprised me too, with his salary I think Derwin is probably on their list of guys to move in the future
    When they drafted CBs back to back, I wondered if they had converting one of them to safety in mind. Cam Hart is 6-3 207 lbs.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

He's welcome to surprise me, just like QJ.
      Challenge accepted!
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

They didn’t draft any safeties either so that surprised me too, with his salary I think Derwin is probably on their list of guys to move in the future
        What is this dream roster - one where no pro bowl player is ever resigned again? Magic Joe just constantly produces an endless stream of new pro bowl players from his Rd 5 and Rd 6 comp picks? Voila!

will arnett magic GIF

Count me out on that plan

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

What is this dream roster - one where no pro bowl player is ever resigned again? Magic Joe just constantly produces an endless stream of new pro bowl players from his Rd 5 and Rd 6 comp picks? Voila!

will arnett magic GIF

Count me out on that plan
          I think they can turn Derwin around but he hasn't been Derwin James for a few seasons now...you want stars, they drafted the next defensive star in Junior Colson in the 3rd and next year's draft is going to be defensive heavy, they'll be adding new stars for us to root for, out with the old in with the new...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I think they can turn Derwin around but he hasn't been Derwin James for a few seasons now...you want stars, they drafted the next defensive star in Junior Colson in the 3rd and next year's draft is going to be defensive heavy, they'll be adding new stars for us to root for, out with the old in with the new...
            You didn't answer my question but your response points to one rookie that has yet to play a single down in the league, so perhaps your answer is yes - never retain any pro bowl players and always rely on the hope that new rookies will be pro bowl players? not really sure.

Derwin has been selected to the pro bowl 3 times in his career. I'd offer two responses to your Colson comment. No, make that 3 ... just saw another factor

1. We would benefit from more than one pro bowl player on defense
            2. Could we wait for Junior to play a down in the NFL before we start cutting our already-proven players
            3. We haven't drafted anyone in 2025, don't call to release our best Safety with no replacement in the building at this juncture.

I argue that the NFL Team Cap design allows for a blend of proven pro bowl players + new up and comers on every team. Its self-sabotage to not have some great players - 53 rookie contract players don't come close to using up the team cap. 52 rookies plus Herbie still doesn't use up the cap space.

The TPB consensus has had 100% agreement that Staley completely fucked up the defense, confused and complicated players roles and responsibilities to the point that execution errors were his most visible constant. That directly led to bottom 5 defense every year he was HC. I assume the defensive problem "for a few seasons" you attribute to Derwin really resides with the guy actually responsible for that shit-show and I urge fellow TPB friends to not jettison proven pro bowl players until we see them play in a competent NFL defensive scheme with capable NFL coaches.

If Derwin is horrible in 2024, the argument's relevance will grow. Don't predict failure now, predict success!

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Anyone else find it curious that every team in the AFCN drafted a Michigan guy except for Baltimore?
              when historically, John H along with GM EDC and presumably Joe Hortiz and Mike McDonald were regular shoppers at UM?
              I'm curious as to what the dynamic is now between the Harbaugh brothers now that they're competing against each other again in-conference vs when Jim was John's Michigan connection and pipeline that landed them Ojabo and Oweh (went to Penn st but there's a connection there dating back to Michigan recruiting), ben mason, Josh Ross, Tarik Black, Ben Bredeson maybe a few more.
              2024: Far From Over

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

He's welcome to surprise me, just like QJ.
                Me too!
                If we get the DJ we had the first few years, dude is an absolute asset to the D.
                If we get Staley DJ, WAY overpaid!
                Let's hope for a resurgence🤞🏽

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I love that Antonio Piercings always refers to TT as "Telesco". Sounds so disrespectful and dismissive. He also basically said drafting is really simple, just lining players up. Rough seas ahead for those two.

Very different than how Harbaugh refers to Joe H. There seems to be mutual respect there.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You didn't answer my question but your response points to one rookie that has yet to play a single down in the league, so perhaps your answer is yes - never retain any pro bowl players and always rely on the hope that new rookies will be pro bowl players? not really sure.

Derwin has been selected to the pro bowl 3 times in his career. I'd offer two responses to your Colson comment. No, make that 3 ... just saw another factor

1. We would benefit from more than one pro bowl player on defense
                    2. Could we wait for Junior to play a down in the NFL before we start cutting our already-proven players
                    3. We haven't drafted anyone in 2025, don't call to release our best Safety with no replacement in the building at this juncture.

I argue that the NFL Team Cap design allows for a blend of proven pro bowl players + new up and comers on every team. Its self-sabotage to not have some great players - 53 rookie contract players don't come close to using up the team cap. 52 rookies plus Herbie still doesn't use up the cap space.

The TPB consensus has had 100% agreement that Staley completely fucked up the defense, confused and complicated players roles and responsibilities to the point that execution errors were his most visible constant. That directly led to bottom 5 defense every year he was HC. I assume the defensive problem "for a few seasons" you attribute to Derwin really resides with the guy actually responsible for that shit-show and I urge fellow TPB friends to not jettison proven pro bowl players until we see them play in a competent NFL defensive scheme with capable NFL coaches.

If Derwin is horrible in 2024, the argument's relevance will grow. Don't predict failure now, predict success!

I've been down on Derwin, but IMO he's primed for a resurgence in Minter's defense . . . . . . . . . as long as he can stay in one position (more or less) for the entire year.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      I love that Antonio Piercings always refers to TT as "Telesco". Sounds so disrespectful and dismissive. He also basically said drafting is really simple, just lining players up. Rough seas ahead for those two.

Very different than how Harbaugh refers to Joe H. There seems to be mutual respect there.

TG
                      I've noticed that as well. I really don't see how Pierce and TT are going to co-exist (for long) . . . . . . . ..

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        Anyone else find it curious that every team in the AFCN drafted a Michigan guy except for Baltimore?
                        when historically, John H along with GM EDC and presumably Joe Hortiz and Mike McDonald were regular shoppers at UM?
                        I'm curious as to what the dynamic is now between the Harbaugh brothers now that they're competing against each other again in-conference vs when Jim was John's Michigan connection and pipeline that landed them Ojabo and Oweh (went to Penn st but there's a connection there dating back to Michigan recruiting), ben mason, Josh Ross, Tarik Black, Ben Bredeson maybe a few more.
                        You see a particular BAL pick where there was a better UM player on the board in a position of need that they didn’t take? I believe in Occam’s razor - the simple explanation is usually the right one.

Better guess: The draft unfolded as it unfolded and their board never had a UM player at the top of the board when it was their time to pick.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I've been down on Derwin, but IMO he's primed for a resurgence in Minter's defense . . . . . . . . . as long as he can stay in one position (more or less) for the entire year.
                          Staley had multiple dimensions to fucking up the defense. 1 was constantly moving Derwin different positions. I suspect the bigger problem that affected not just him but EVERY DB ON THE TEAM was his pattern-match switcharoo scheme that looked so clever on a white board.

half the DBs would fuck up their sudden-change new assignment at the snap. Derwin seemed to be often lunging to cover up someone else’s fuckup, but he’d end up being the closest guy on tape. He was also slowed down with the last-second assignment decisions and changes. And He wasn’t perfect, he missed a few tackles, but they all do. The other guys are pros too.

But I’m betting 1000% he’s gonna be a force again in a real NFL professional defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X