• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
    I knew him, but I guess that's not really evidence.

Remember all the games it looked like the Chargers were playing hung over? They were.

He was also NEVER in football shape, which is very simple, direct evidence of professionalism.
    I have heard this kind of assertion before, but I have never seen any type of evidence to support it (as to the playing hung over). I have asked to be provided with that evidence because I do not have first hand knowledge. I am perfectly willing to reconsider my position if I am provided with new evidence. To do otherwise would be unreasonable.

How did you know him? What did you see?

Also do you think Tony Gwynn and Larry Homes were not professionals because their bodies did not appear perfectly conditioned? I can't say whether or not it is the case with Phillips, but some guys don't get as cut as others when they work out.

What I can say is that the Broncos called Phillips a great locker room guy on national TV last year.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      There is no evidence to support that he was not a good locker room guy, was some kind of bad influence or was not a professional. He was specifically described by the Broncos as a great locker room guy.
      There was no evidence to support that he was a good locker room guy, was a good influence or was a professional. He was specifically let go by the both the Chargers and Broncos in consecutive seasons.

Comment

• Yubaking
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        There was no evidence to support that he was a good locker room guy, was a good influence or was a professional. He was specifically let go by the both the Chargers and Broncos in consecutive seasons.
        The Broncos called him a "great locker room guy" on national TV last season.

Comment

• blahblahblah
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

I have heard this kind of assertion before, but I have never seen any type of evidence to support it (as to the playing hung over). I have asked to be provided with that evidence because I do not have first hand knowledge. I am perfectly willing to reconsider my position if I am provided with new evidence. To do otherwise would be unreasonable.

How did you know him? What did you see?

Also do you think Tony Gwynn and Larry Homes were not professionals because their bodies did not appear perfectly conditioned? I can't say whether or not it is the case with Phillips, but some guys don't get as cut as others when they work out.

What I can say is that the Broncos called Phillips a great locker room guy on national TV last year.

Do you want me to transfer my memories to you? We had common friends so I saw him at a number of house parties and clubs. I saw him drinking the night before a game.

He had a reputation as a douche bag and for not hitting the weight room as long or hard as his teammates.

Gwynn was in fine shape in his 20's. Plus, he wasn't an athlete, he was a ballplayer.

Comment

• Yubaking
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
            Do you want me to transfer my memories to you? We had common friends so I saw him at a number of house parties and clubs. I saw him drinking the night before a game.

He had a reputation as a douche bag and for not hitting the weight room as long or hard as his teammates.

Gwynn was in fine shape in his 20's. Plus, he wasn't an athlete, he was a ballplayer.
            No, I don't need memory transfer. You described what you know/saw and if he did drink excessively the night before a game, that would make me think less of his professionalism.

What you said about Gwynn is funny. Even in his prime, Holmes looked kind of round in the middle, but he could stick and move for 15 rounds (back when boxing's title matches were 15 rounds) and was obviously very well conditioned despite not looking like it at all.

Do you know why Phillips had the rep of being a douche bag (apart from his drinking the night before a game)?

Comment

• blahblahblah
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Typical entitled athlete bullshit. He cheated. A lot. Not atypical for athletes, but it says something about his character. He thought people owed him something, rude to service staff, etc.

He's a smart guy so he kept his nose clean, for the most part, but football was not the top priority in his life or even top five. All the above stuff I could deal with in a football players, and I don't really fold that into "professionalism". But he was known as a minimal effort guy getting by on natural ability. He could have been MUCH better.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

The Broncos called him a "great locker room guy" on national TV last season.
                Maybe he wasn't there long enough to do junk like punch security guards in the face, get in a fight with the police.

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Maybe he wasn't there long enough to do junk like punch security guards in the face, get in a fight with the police.
                  Did he do that when he was with us? I never heard that.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Did he do that when he was with us? I never heard that.
                    Yes. 2006 or 2007.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The crux of our disagreement is that you think "anyone" could have made the sacks that Phillips made. I disagree. I think Phillips has an innate ability to sense where to be on certain plays that is superior to that of many players that he plays with/against. I think that has always been a comparative strength of his and that he never was the most physically talented player. Again, if other players could do it, they would. The fact that they don't suggests that they can't.

I disagree with your notion that Phillips' sacks were nothing more than happenstance. Phillips has been a consistent sack producer over his career and that belies your assertion that his sacks were happenstance, especially when combined with the fact that Phillips got a disproportionately large share of the Broncos sacks last year. 8 of 9 seasons with sacks between 7.0 and 11.5 shows remarkable consistency as does his finishing 21st in sacks with us in 2012 and then 20th in sacks in 2013 with Denver. It seems like the thing that is consistent in this equation is Phillips and his performance over the years.
                      So who the fuck was he spider man? Inate ability? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Did he hire a witchdoctor?

Look at the number of sacks that a lot of very marginal starters or even backups get. it is not uncommon for 34 OLB like that to get 3.5 or so sacks. The last year he was with us, he got 7 sacks, and he got 2x or more snaps? So, how is that not marginal player stats, because those guys only get 350 or so snaps, and Phillips had 900-1100. Many backup/run down starters get 4-5 sacks in 400-500 snaps, so he is slightly ahead of the game in Den, but again, all the other Den DL and LB are g\doing all the hard work of flushing the QB to him.

The thing that also killed me about him, (besides the security guard and the drinking incidents), was when on National TV, after a monday night game, he said that other players should look to him for leadership. At the time, just before Weddle had taken the next step, he was really the only vet player on our team, and the only pass rusher we had. How the hell is he not a leader, especially as an OLB in the 34, the guys the D is designed to free up.
                      Last edited by Steve; 09-07-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        So who the fuck was he spider man?

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

San Diego Chargers backup linebacker Shaun Phillips was arrested early Friday after he scuffled with a patrol officer, police said.

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Chargers backup linebacker Shaun Phillips was arrested early Friday after he scuffled with a patrol officer, police said.

Phillips, 24, was booked into San Diego County jail on a charge of obstructing or resisting an officer in the performance of his duty. Phillips was freed after posting $10,000 bail, according to the Sheriff's Department.

Two officers sustained minor injuries during the struggle with the 6-foot-3, 262-pound linebacker, police said in a statement.

An officer patrolling San Diego's Gaslamp neighborhood saw Phillips grab an unidentified woman by the hair and pull hard enough to make her head tilt back, police said. The officer saw the woman slap Phillips and push him as he tried to grab her again.

When the officer checked on the couple, the woman told the officer they were "just playing" and the couple started walking away. The officer told Phillips to stay, the linebacker refused and a struggle followed, the police said.

Phillips saw significant action in 2005 and made three starts when Steve Foley was hurt. He was second on the team last season with seven sacks.

"I've met with the young man and we'll let the legal process run its course," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said.

I believe Phillips was also in attendance the night Cromartie got in trouble for throwing a champagne bottle. Phillips was a known party-er and bad influence on guys like Cro and VJ. I believe I heard it once said that he was taken under Steve Foley's wing when he was drafted and that set him on the path of "entitlement intimidation"
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X