• Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
    http://www.pressherald.com/2014/08/2...t-concussions/

Panama

What are your thoughts on the article?
    Every little bit they can do helps. However, I understand there is increasing evidence that it's not the big hits, as much as the repeated little and/or secondary hits that do the most damage. And no matter what helmet one wears, not wearing the proper mouthpiece or not having a properly fitting helmet will increase one's risk. And can there ever be a helmet that provides the gray matter sloshing about violently from all the sudden, high-velocity movement? It's a complex issue, and I am far, far from an expert.
    Adipose

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

When the play call came in, McCrary tightened his chin strap and told himself to get low. He would need to get beneath Seau’s shoulder pads to win the battle. At the snap of the ball, Seau came charging through the gap, where McCrary was there to meet him. This time McCrary won, putting Seau on his back. But that’s not what got everyone’s attention. It was the force of the collision, so loud it could be heard a couple of football fields away. So violent that it left a 3-inch crack across the bridge of McCrary’s helmet.

McCrary may have considered the helmet a badge of honor at the time—he still does today, featuring it prominently in his trophy case—but he soon realized the damage from the collision extended far beyond his equipment. When he saw spots and flashes of white after the initial hit, he dismissed it as a “ding.” But as the day progressed, his head began to hurt, and his equilibrium was off. When he saw Seau that night he complained that something was wrong. Seau responded by saying his own head was “on fire.” But the two kept their conditions a secret for fear they would be held out of practice.
      Former fullback Fred McCrary banged heads for 11 seasons in the pros. He’s working to become an NFL referee and watching his sons grow up in the game. Life is good, he says—except for the migraines, and the fear of what’s to come

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

I was there. That collision was louder than any I had ever seen or heard. I was standing up the hill overlooking the field from a residential street above the facility. Probably 600 feet away. Chills.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X