Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by KYBoltsFan View Post
    Barring a few bright spots, Gates hasn't looked 'right' for a couple seasons. The drops are a new issue that I didn't expect (last year it was fumbles/getting stripped). Still has a knack for getting open and a great rapport with Rivers, but he's lookin like a latter-day Ben Coates more than Antonio Gates at this point.
    Do I need to dredge up that old post (posted twice now) where I show that Gates drops numbers (and fumbles, for that matter) are, if anything, better now than they were in his prime? He had one bad drop yesterday. It's nothing new. Check out his career stats.
    Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Every time Gates makes a mistake the "he's over the hill" posts show up. He had 1 bad drop. Allen had 2 he should have caught. Royal dropped a first down that hit him in the chops. Rivers made some really bad throws. I guess dump them all and start from scratch?!
      sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

With what happened with his sister, he also missed a lot of camp - I wonder how good of shape he is in?

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          Every time Gates makes a mistake the "he's over the hill" posts show up. He had 1 bad drop. Allen had 2 he should have caught. Royal dropped a first down that hit him in the chops. Rivers made some really bad throws. I guess dump them all and start from scratch?!
          For whatever reason, our receivers played well below what we've seen of them.

Moving forward, I still think our #3 option - whether it be an aging Gates, a young Green, or a WTF Royal - needs to be better, consistently better. Inman, maybe?

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
            Rivers dropped a snap. That was the worst dropped pass of the night.

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
              Do I need to dredge up that old post (posted twice now) where I show that Gates drops numbers (and fumbles, for that matter) are, if anything, better now than they were in his prime? He had one bad drop yesterday. It's nothing new. Check out his career stats.
              Yep. Gates has never been Charlie Joiner.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Gates and Green can both be on the field. Bench Royal. Presto improved run game and mismatch hell.
                Is Green a good blocker?

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Guessing he's better than Royal, and will improve with playing time. Would like to see him as the #3 WR/whatever more, agree with beer it's a mismatch hell.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                    Is Green a good blocker?
                    Good may be stretching it. He's certainly not on a Gates level bad though. He certainly blocks better than Royal which is the trade off. He doesn't need to be on the line. It's more the threat of him moving between the slot and off tackle that forces teams to either keep a LB in the game or try to cover him with a CB/S which hurts their run defense. A lot of teams had to play nickle D vs. Us last season which gave us the advantage running the ball. If they switch to base, you send him in patterns vs. a LB who has no chance to cover him, so it forces a double team that opens up another player.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      Good may be stretching it. He's certainly not on a Gates level bad though. He certainly blocks better than Royal which is the trade off. He doesn't need to be on the line. It's more the threat of him moving between the slot and off tackle that forces teams to either keep a LB in the game or try to cover him with a CB/S which hurts their run defense. A lot of teams had to play nickle D vs. Us last season which gave us the advantage running the ball. If they switch to base, you send him in patterns vs. a LB who has no chance to cover him, so it forces a double team that opens up another player.
                      Thanks.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Guessing he's better than Royal, and will improve with playing time. Would like to see him as the #3 WR/whatever more, agree with beer it's a mismatch hell.
                        Thanks.

Comment

• MakoShark
                          Disgruntled
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Alabama
                          • Send PM

Thanks logo:
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X