• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
    This, Hardwick was playing with injuries and he was not a big guy to begin with. Look for an adjustment period but after a couple weeks we might be better at center or at least more physical.

A lot of posters on this board have been banging on Hardwick for years. He wasn't big or physical enough in their minds. So, hopefully they will be happy with the succession.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      A lot of posters on this board have been banging on Hardwick for years. He wasn't big or physical enough in their minds. So, hopefully they will be happy with the succession.
      My only gripe about Hardwick was that he was a player nearing the end and was due a bunch of money this year. Also, I thought Ohrnberger, who looked terrible at OG for us, did a great job at center against Cincinnati. Really, the fact that he could play center was the only reason that I wanted Ohrnberger on the roster. I think we will be fine at center.

Where we might have an issue is with depth now that we are down to 7 OL players on the 53 man roster. I know some think Troutman needs to go, but I think we haven't given him enough of a chance to develop and I see him as having the potential to be a good player. It would be great if we could add a G/T swing man to the roster. Too bad the one we have is injured. I never thought there would be a day when I said that I kind of miss Clary. Strange times.

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        Truth is he was never big or physical imposing, but what he lacked physically he made up mentally ability to call out the Defensive fronts, and be a former wrestler he knew how to use leverage to maneuver the defender. No happiness in him going down, I think going into the season we knew we were going to need a center for the future. Looking at the OL overall I think we can move forward with coach Joe D ability to coach lineman the thing we miss most is Hardwick is adjustment calls at the line.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
          Ohrnberger is a great C; he knows the players I don't believe he needs more time with the other players.

RG is the issue.

I would like to see the Chargers attack the Seahawks with power running formation (2 TEs).

Rivers should have a long day if we go to a passing attack mode.
          Correction: He is a tremendous run blocker, but he is not a complete center.

What made Hardwick so great was a second QB on the field, making reads and calls, always on the same page as Rivers. It was his intelligence, not his physical traits. For this same reason, I think Watt will replace Ohrnberger when he's ready (whether this year or next, who knows...), and this is why I speculated about Clary at C.
          Adipose

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Losing a starter always sucks and you always want the starter in there. This being said....If you have depth it can be much easier to deal with. At the center position we have depth. I think Ohrn is a very good replacement and by all looks, Watt is an option as well.

Give Ohrn some time and he will be fine.

Signed,

Glass Half Full

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
              Truth is he was never big or physical imposing, but what he lacked physically he made up mentally ability to call out the Defensive fronts, and be a former wrestler he knew how to use leverage to maneuver the defender. No happiness in him going down, I think going into the season we knew we were going to need a center for the future. Looking at the OL overall I think we can move forward with coach Joe D ability to coach lineman the thing we miss most is Hardwick is adjustment calls at the line.
              I never bought this idea that his being smart and a former wrestler made up for lack of size. Truth is we've struggled running between the tackles and short yardage for YEARS with him starting at C. All you have to do is look at the push Ohrn gave us in the Bengals game last year to see the difference. SIZE MATTERS in the trenches dammit!
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                Bolts have succession plan for Hardwick

Summary: Sign Ohrnberger to back up Hardwick, then Wat.
                Wat
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  I never bought this idea that his being smart and a former wrestler made up for lack of size. Truth is we've struggled running between the tackles and short yardage for YEARS with him starting at C. All you have to do is look at the push Ohrn gave us in the Bengals game last year to see the difference. SIZE MATTERS in the trenches dammit!
                  I disagree with the smarts thing not helping. It doesn't matter how big and strong you are if guys are confused about who to pick up.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    Okay lets bring back Gaither! :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                    X